BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 08-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

For the record, I'm for removing confederate monuments outside of places of historical context and putting them in a museum. A random monument of a confederate general outside of a courthouse doesn't belong there. That isn't history being preserved or remembered
Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Dirt Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
For the record, I'm for removing confederate monuments outside of places of historical context and putting them in a museum.
Seems like a reasonable compromise.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:03 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Oh please pete.......are you really this bias???
Btw, how many times has this guy been corrected that the correct tense of the word is biased?

It still amazes me that HCSO ever gave him a firearm. Hell, I'm even more amazed the idiot still (presumably) kept all the toes on his feet after receiving it.

This message is hidden because WaiverWire is on your ignore list.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
For the record, I'm for removing confederate monuments outside of places of historical context and putting them in a museum. A random monument of a confederate general outside of a courthouse doesn't belong there. That isn't history being preserved or remembered
It's a reasonable compromise from my perspective(White Southerner who has ancestors who fought for VA and TN in the Civil War). But I can look at it from other perspectives and I can see why there's an emotional response to monuments erected to symbolize "Yeah, we lost and the US Constitution says you're free and equal, but suck our fat white dicks you N***ERS!" Couple that with the fact that today pretty much every societal system is engineered to fuck African-Americans and one political party actively seeks to prevent them from voting, and it makes sense folks would be pissed and want to tear these statues down. I can't even muster the energy to be mad at them for doing it. I kinda think they've earned it to be honest.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:49 PM

Default Soul Snatchers

https://medium.com/@ShaunKing/soul-s...k-7454a5a43924
Old 08-22-2017, 05:31 PM
BP Staff

The New York Times is reporting that Mitch McConnell is now openly talking to his GOP Senate colleagues about whether or not Trump will be able to finish out his term. This comes in the wake of Trump reportedly berating McConnell for failing to repeal Obamacare. Per the Times piece, Trump (on a golf course) not only screamed at McConnell about not repealing ACA but also was flipping out about McConnell failing to "protect" him from Senate investigations about Russia.

The most powerful man in the Republican Party is actually Mitch McConnell. When I read that Trump berated him and treated him like a lowly servant, I knew there would be consequences. Trump doesn't understand that if he makes it personal with McConnell, McConnell can bury him, because the same Senators Trump is calling out are the same ones that will preside over a potential impeachment trial.

This message is hidden because WaiverWire is on your ignore list.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Wrong. They leased $13,500 in carts from 2 companies for this trip.

The earlier $46,500 in cart rentals were leased from Trump.
Care to post a link showing the $46,500 was to Trump as I can not find anything other than they had 2 contracts with a company.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
It's a reasonable compromise from my perspective(White Southerner who has ancestors who fought for VA and TN in the Civil War). But I can look at it from other perspectives and I can see why there's an emotional response to monuments erected to symbolize "Yeah, we lost and the US Constitution says you're free and equal, but suck our fat white dicks you N***ERS!" Couple that with the fact that today pretty much every societal system is engineered to fuck African-Americans and one political party actively seeks to prevent them from voting, and it makes sense folks would be pissed and want to tear these statues down. I can't even muster the energy to be mad at them for doing it. I kinda think they've earned it to be honest.
My family were all Yankees, some fought for the Union from the state of Ohio.

I have a lot of black students. I love them, my heart hurts for them when I think about someone judging them because of their skin color. I would support anything that would make a real difference for them.

Tearing down monuments(or just racial inequality being in the news) I think hurts more than helps. I don't want to do that for the same reason I don't tell my kids who've fallen behind anything negative about their achievements. Only positives. You take on characteristics and have self talk based on what those around you have to say, that is your reality. If I tell them they are smart, I mean really tell them and believe it, the human ego feels the need to take on actions to support that.

The same thing holds true for disadvantaged blacks. If you tell them they are oppressed and disadvantaged(even if they are), they'll identify with that and take on those characteristics. If there are real changes however, for instance trying to make changes to the cultural norms inside ghettos, socio-economic help, or education, that is where the real difference is going to be made, and most preferably those changes should be discrete. Obviously that is virtually impossible on a public forum.

When I've quietly intervened on negatives discretely, or publicly praised or acknowledged, is always when I've made the biggest impacts. I know it's not the same thing, but I think our mind works the same way.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:06 PM

Expecting how you run your classroom with regard to racial equality to be applicable at a macro level in society is naive. You have much more control over the environment of your classroom. There are still systemic issues outside of your control that affect your classroom environment I'm sure you're aware of this.

Expecting discrete changes on behalf of the exploited and oppressed to be implemented on their behalf by a system that was designed to exploit, oppress and neglect them is also naive. It's dangerously naive. I presume you teach the Civil Rights Movement, lots of folks from the establishment tried to tell its leaders how they should protest. It's condescending and honestly patriarchal to try to do so.

Tearing down statues won't fix shit in and of itself. It could lead to real change though. Just depends on whether or not enough white people realize their privilege and help their neighbors address the inequality baked into the system. Of course, you can't expect white folks to do that until they're forced to.