BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 11-08-2018, 11:35 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Newest #CA48 count: Harley Rouda (D) expands lead over Rep. Dana Rohrabacher (R) from 1.4% to 2.4%. Thinking Rohrabacher's probably done.
https://twitter.com/Redistrict/statu...04007759556609

He can move to Russia to hang out with his pals Putin and Steven Seagal.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:12 AM
Cooper's Law

Waiver standing up for treatment of women. Hilarious! Heaven help that young lady if she claims to be a victim of a crime ... the entire Republican Party would turn on her like a Game of Thrones plot twist.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:29 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Sorry, but that is no way to treat a lady. Totally disrespectful. I wonder if he treats all women that way.
I almost lost my eyes they rolled so hard. Give me an f'in break.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
https://twitter.com/SteveKornacki/st...11294183804928

I presume that's where the ballot design flaw is.
Saw it last night, that is SO stupid. My ballot has the instructions across the entire top, not in a column.

Granted, I scrutinize these things & probably wouldn't have missed it, but I can see how it could happen.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Len Barrie's Fiscal Cliff

Have been going out in the Maine woods for the last 2 Saturdays chasing the ever elusive whitetail deer with my...high powered hunting rifle, and I am appreciative of my right to do so.

I proposed a few ideas for common sense legislation earlier in this thread, some of you agreed, amazingly. (The Lightnings colors are not the only blue here)

In light of the most recent California shootings, what is the (or your) solution in an attempt to stop these from happening?

Last edited by gphockey; 11-09-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:54 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

IMO, with this country awash in over 300 million firearms, there is no way to “stop” these mass shootings, or individual homicides where parties are know each other. However, the ability of a shooter to rapidly fire multiple shots (big mags) before reloading certainly results in increased mortality. The guy in CA had an illegal clip, and many AR’s have 30 round clips. There is NO reason for any firearm to have more than 6 bullets available at any one time. My 12 ga (duck) shotgun had three shells in the chamber. That was plenty.
Old 11-09-2018, 04:57 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

https://www.wsj.com/articles/fbi-is-...ber-1541799564
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 11-09-2018, 06:17 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
IMO, with this country awash in over 300 million firearms, there is no way to “stop” these mass shootings, or individual homicides where parties are know each other. However, the ability of a shooter to rapidly fire multiple shots (big mags) before reloading certainly results in increased mortality. The guy in CA had an illegal clip, and many AR’s have 30 round clips. There is NO reason for any firearm to have more than 6 bullets available at any one time. My 12 ga (duck) shotgun had three shells in the chamber. That was plenty.
The first part of your statement here invalidates the argument you're trying to make in the second part.

1) The country is awash in 300 million + firearms. I take this to mean that you believe that there are quite a few dangerous people out there who are armed at any given time and can inflict serious harm on others.

2) You go on to say that those who follow the laws should be less prepared and less well-equipped to deal with those armed dangerous people.

Now, I'm well aware that the defensive use of handguns to prevent harm to oneself or others happens with incredible infrequency. The problem remains until you outright repeal the 2nd Amendment and overturn accepted case precedent like D.C. v Heller, there's not a whole lot that can be done at the federal level. The "Good guy with a gun" argument from the right is bullshit in all but the most rare circumstances.

The argument on the left that the 2nd Amendment says "well-regulated militia" means that Congress/Federal Government can regulate firearms in any way it sees fit is flawed. It ignores the entire purpose of the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights was written to get states to ratify the Constitution. The bill of rights restricts the power of the federal government. It doesn't provide any power to the government and was written to assuage the concerns that the ratifying states had with the power granted to the federal government by the rest of the Constitution.

You can read the Federalist Papers and see what the founding fathers actually believed about the 2nd Amendment. They're pretty clear. the "well-regulated militia" they're talking about is the one that can be called up by the states to counter the standing army of the federal government should they get uppity and swing tyrannical on the people. Also, the use of "regulate"

So, trying to end-run the 2nd Amendment is exactly that. An end-run around the Bill of Rights.

What did the framers mean by "militia"? The People. This is all available to read in their writings around 1787-1791. Not some bullshit left-wing "they meant the national guard!" argument that is thrown around today. They didn't mean each state had a collective right to raise their own militia. There are no writings in existence that indicate anything other than the framers meaning that "militia" meant The People.

The framers also didn't consider slaves to be people. So they're not perfect and I don't believe the 2nd Amendment is perfect. If you want to talk about repeal or amendment, I'm game. I'd be perfectly content with only being able to use bolt action or single action rifles/shotguns and I believe that handguns should be banned entirely. But to ask for the federal government to write legislation to do this without addressing the SCOTUS case law regarding the 2nd Amendment will prove fruitless. This is the way a nation of laws should work. Attack the root of the legislative problem. The problem with guns in the US is the 2nd Amendment.

Article V has a means for us to get around congress as well when / if we wish to amend the Constitution. Article V exists because the framers themselves knew they weren't going to be able to get it right and foresee all of the issues that may arise throughout history.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 11-09-2018, 10:01 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

So, using your logic, we ALL should be armed to the hilt—30 bullet clips to protect ourselves from somebody with the same ammo?? Naw, that isn’t The answer, or any answer to the question GP posed. Methinks you are playing the argument absurdam.. I simply offered a possible solution to the increasing carnage of “active shootings”, as catalogued on MSNBC today, where the fatalities per shooting have been increasing exponentially, since 2016. The “founding fathers” did not conceive of machine guns, nor “bump stocks, in thinking about “militias”..IMO, references to what the original framers intended or what it permits is fanciful at best. Limiting the available bullets per firearm is only ONE way we can mitigate the carnage...And given the present circumstances, there is no “stopping” it. Our politics do not nor will they permit an Australian solution. I wish it were so—I no longer own that shotgun, for all kinds of reasons. But if I DID want to “protect” my home, I’d have an 18” barreled shotgun. (‘Sawed off’) I’d go against a 30 mag 45 anyday with that shotgun.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:37 PM
BP Staff

Respectfully submitted: here’s what Australia did when they were faced with a spate of mass shootings.

https://www.vox.com/2015/8/27/9212725/australia-buyback