BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 09-23-2020, 04:16 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
They've been the target of a half decade social media info op by the Bernie Bros, Trump campaign, and the Russians.
Are those numbers much different from their historical averages though?
Old 09-23-2020, 05:15 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Are those numbers much different from their historical averages though?
African Americans are historically vote Democratic by about 9:1 margins, so while I doubt they asked this same set of questions decades ago, it would seem the answer is yes.

This is one of the reasons Democrats can't dick around if they get power. They have to restore faith in government by doing things like policing reform, health care reform, common sense gun reform etc. that get these voters back firmly in the coalition.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
African Americans are historically vote Democratic by about 9:1 margins, so while I doubt they asked this same set of questions decades ago, it would seem the answer is yes.

This is one of the reasons Democrats can't dick around if they get power. They have to restore faith in government by doing things like policing reform, health care reform, common sense gun reform etc. that get these voters back firmly in the coalition.
What I took from what Donnie posted is that they aren’t very happy with their choices or motivated to vote for either party. Would hope for this next election there would be a greater shift of enthusiasm by younger black voters to expel Trump
Old 09-23-2020, 05:53 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
What I took from what Donnie posted is that they aren’t very happy with their choices or motivated to vote for either party. Would hope for this next election there would be a greater shift of enthusiasm by younger black voters to expel Trump
Young black voters feel that the government is just an extension of the white supremacist power structure and isn't responsive to their needs. More to the point, they feel it's oppressive to them, regardless of the party in power. Social media propaganda to that extent only exacerbates that conceptionand depresses the participation and enthusiasm of young African Americans even more. It's not just young African Americans, though. Young whites are disillusioned, too. That's what happens when a government struggles to get anything of consequence done for a decade other than tax cuts for fat cats and packing the courts with right wing judges.

Like I said, Democrats have three things they need to do if they get the trifecta: fight the COVID crisis, fight the democracy crisis, and fight the faith in government crisis. The latter of the three requires decisive action in short order to address a host of neglected issues like policing reform, common sense gun reform, health care, climate change, infrastructure, etc. etc. All the things that poll really well among the populace but Washington does nothing about because of the obstruction of special interests.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:59 PM

I know I’m an old guy, but I’m begging to feel like grandfather sitting in the corner while everyone is arguing over what pop wants. Just ask me.

I found the poll interesting because African Americans have been a reliable democratic vote. The poll showed that democrats can’t take young blacks for granted - and they do right now. The great democrat era that Pete thinks will happen if Biden wins won’t get off the ground, or at least won’t be sustainable unless democrats listen and work with young people - of all races.

Now I’ll go eat my mashed bananas.

Last edited by Donnie D; 09-23-2020 at 06:02 PM.