BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:36 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Help me out Chad since you have been able to talk to the coaching staff-

I see the forwards as Stamkos / St. Louis and either Downie or Malone
Vinny / Purcell and _____________
Moore / Shannon / Malone or Downie
Thompson / Hall / Tyrell or Ritolla or Jones

Once again, I see a hole on the Vinny line. They've tried Malone and that hasn't worked. They've tried Thompson when they had injuries last year and that didn't work. So you have Shannon moving up, Jones or Ritolla going to the third line. I'll admit, I'm not the most astute Hockey guy, but St. Louis / Vinny has always worked and IF and that's a huge IF, Conachar has some of the speed and strength of a St. Louis (and reportedly he does) he may be the type of player that they have longed for on Vinny's line. If not this year, down the line.
That's what I was thinking as well. However, I'm not sure Marty doesn't go back to Vinny's line (weren't they doing that last year towards the end of the year? Maybe I'm just going crazy.).
Old 09-23-2011, 08:34 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Help me out Chad since you have been able to talk to the coaching staff-

I see the forwards as Stamkos / St. Louis and either Downie or Malone
Vinny / Purcell and _____________
Moore / Shannon / Malone or Downie
Thompson / Hall / Tyrell or Ritolla or Jones

Once again, I see a hole on the Vinny line. They've tried Malone and that hasn't worked. They've tried Thompson when they had injuries last year and that didn't work. So you have Shannon moving up, Jones or Ritolla going to the third line. I'll admit, I'm not the most astute Hockey guy, but St. Louis / Vinny has always worked and IF and that's a huge IF, Conachar has some of the speed and strength of a St. Louis (and reportedly he does) he may be the type of player that they have longed for on Vinny's line. If not this year, down the line.

Boucher never said anything about who would play with 4-16. He had Ritola there in scrimmages, and Connolly and now Conacher for tonight. The only one I'd really read into is the Conacher one. Guy said that the line designs in scrimmages were not really anything to read into, but they were interested in seeing a few things.

After hearing Boucher talk for 3-4 consecutive days and picking out the things he would repeat, he craves speed and relentlessness from forwards. We kept trying to get him to say they needed size on D and he had none of it. He just wants puck retrieval No.1 and the ability to get it moving.

But back to the forwards...

Boucher really likes Shannon. He also said Ritola didn't have the speed to be a top-6 impact player (in so many words, but that was close).

I think you're more apt to see Downie with Vinny and Purcell because Vinny and Purcell play a slower game. He moved Conacher up with STL and Stamkos in scrimmages because they were faster, he said, and he thought Conacher might fit in better on a speed line.

Considering how much Boucher likes speed, my guess would be Shannon would get that spot, unless Conacher flat out beats him out. I don't know if that would realistically happen.

Jones has been on fire and done everything Guy has asked for.
Ritola, he said, needs to find his place. He's not fast enough for top lines, and while he can play a 2-way game, he isn't a grinder/checker.
Tyrell - all he said was he's fast and he's in great shape.
Pyatt - good on the PK and he's fast as well.

I could see:

Shannon-Stamkos-St. Louis
Purcell-Lecavalier-Downie
Malone-Moore-Pyatt/Thompson
Thompson/Pyatt-Hall-Jones

(Ritola, Tyrell)

I don't know if it really matters, as he's going to move the third piece to those 3 lines around anyway.

Conacher-Stamkos-St.Louis doesn't have a lot of size, but their "wall ability" isn't bad at all for their size, and again, Boucher doesn't give a rat's ass about size. He likes it when he has it (pointed out Hedman), but it's not a priority. I cringe a little at the thought of that line going up against Philly and Boston, though.

You know... from what I saw...

Conacher-Stamkos-St.Louis
Purcell-Lecavalier-Downie
Malone-Moore-Shannon
Thompson-Hall-Pyatt

... would be a lineup that may better fit what Boucher wants.

I don't think I answered your question, I more thought out loud on everything with no conclusion.

Last edited by chad; 09-23-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM
BP Staff

Lines for Sat at #Panthers: Ritola-Moore-Connolly; Shannon-Lecavalier-Purcell; Conacher-Thompson-Downie; Tyrell-Pyatt-Hall #tblightning

(per EE on Twitter). They have them on a big white board in the locker room.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Brett Connolly's Gum

Don't know where to put this, but it's pretty funny

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...new-theme-song
Old 09-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Someone posted it over here, so not going to move it. http://boltprospects.com/forum/showthread.php?p=114935
Old 09-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydeedub View Post
Cool, look forward to it and seeing him here in Norfolk soon enough. He sounds fast and shifty like Marty which will make him fun to watch but does he have the makings of MSL offensive touch? Also MSL set records at Vermont in the numbers he put up there, how did Conacher fair in his college days? Was he a stand out like MSL?
The best player in the history of Cainisus.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:36 AM
Cooper's Law

I believe just yesterday I read he set all-time records at his college for goals, points, and PPG, among others. Can a team succeed with no enforcer and a pair of mini smurfs? (Or is that smurves?) If he can come close to matching Marty's work and conditioning ethic...easier said than done...

time will tell
Old 09-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

I haven't forgotten the photos of the game guys. Please bear with me, as my Thursday - Fridays are absolutely slammed between HS Football/teaching/conference night, etc.

They'll be up shortly! Mostly warmup photos as I was sitting about 1 mile away from the ice for the game
Old 09-24-2011, 11:29 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

I got one excellent shot of the puck, the SECOND it crossed the line. Probably one of the cooler shots I've taken. I REALLY wish I could've actually had my telephoto lens...

Here you go!

Also, here's a video of a season recap they showed on the jumbotron. It's shaky, and it isn't perfect. Hope you like it. Link

Last edited by Acehawk74; 09-24-2011 at 11:38 PM.