BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 05-25-2011, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
For me it goes from incidental contact to intentional when Ryder decides to leave his feet to make the hit.
I'm not entirely sure if Ryder sees him. It's hard to tell, but he might be looking at the puck and not Jones. If Ryder doesn't see him, then the jump might be a last-second reaction (trying to get out of the way? fear?).

Either way, he should've gotten interference, but expecting these officials to get their sh*t together seems to be asking a bit much.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Cooper's Law

I didn't notice what the circumstances were when that play happened live, but I'm pretty steamed after watching that clip. At the least it's interference. F* the refs.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
For me it goes from incidental contact to intentional when Ryder decides to leave his feet to make the hit.
This.

And jumping toward Jones instead of going to his left trying to avoid him seals the deal. The leap appears to target the head, even if no contact with the head is actually made. I wouldn't mind seeing any hit targeting the head start out at four minutes minimum and go up from there. (This is a good place to apply the Downie Rule. You pretend it was Steve Downie applying the hit...assess the maximum conceivable penalties allowed by the rulebook...and that's how they ought to call all hits of this type. Impossible fantasy, I know, but still)