BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 01-11-2019, 09:12 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

The way I see it.

1. Bolts seen better options next season than Koekkoek

2. Did not want to lose NHL quality depth. Paid the difference from a 5th to a 7th in exchange to not lose that depth to waivers.

3. Ruuta plays the right side

I'm not a fan, I'd rather just trade SKK and get assets but I guess picks don't mean much to a team with virtually their entire team on long term contracts and stock full of young talent.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuchieMonster View Post
Let's hope JBB can draft better on Defense than Yzerman has.
Al Murray runs the draft not the general manager. That hasnít changed.
Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

I just feel that the Organization has been right way more then wrong on players, so I am excited that they get the chance to prove it again...if it flames out, so be it, but they dont seem to be a bunch of assclowns, and last thought, Benoit Groulx seems to know how to bring players along, so let's watch it play out...
Old 01-11-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
The way I see it.

1. Bolts seen better options next season than Koekkoek

2. Did not want to lose NHL quality depth. Paid the difference from a 5th to a 7th in exchange to not lose that depth to waivers.

3. Ruuta plays the right side

I'm not a fan, I'd rather just trade SKK and get assets but I guess picks don't mean much to a team with virtually their entire team on long term contracts and stock full of young talent.
There is much more to this.

They have 3 natural LHD who are way ahead of Koekkoek - Hedman, McDonagh and Sergachev so he had no long term future.

They were going to lose someone now that Miller is coming back. That was going to be Koekkoek.

If they were going to need a depth defenseman that could play if there are injuries.

Ruuta has cleared waivers so he wonít need to be exposed to waivers. So he will play in Syracuse.

He has an expiring contract. So they wonít have a long term commitment.

Think of this as 2 transactions.

Koekkoek exposed on waivers and picked up by Chicago
Lightning trade a 5th for Ruuta and a 7th.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:05 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

I feel like the Lightning are going to do badly on these minor trades for awhile. They have too many good players and the roster rules being what they are, they really canít hold on to them all. On top of that, teams can underpay the Lightning a little bit for players like Koekkoek because they know how far down the pecking order he is for us, and we donít need good players back.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 PM
Crispy's Notepad

Default we dont need to draft early

as pointed out by Joe Smith on twitter

" With Slater Koekkoek trade - Tampa Bay will have dealt six of their last eight first round picks (Koekkoek, Howden, DeAngelo, Drouin, Namestnikov, Connolly). Only Foote + Vasilevskiy remain from 1st rnders picked in Yzerman era "

https://twitter.com/JoeSmithTB

truly a meh deal, maybe Ruttan catches a charge as many of these deals seem to end for lightning.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:48 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Al Murray runs the draft not the general manager. That hasnít changed.
Lol that's cute that you think that. That's like saying it wasn't the fault of the Captain of the Titanic for the boat sinking, it was his first mates.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:20 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
I doubt Rutta plays with the NHL team. The RHD below the ones we have in the NHL are: Matthew Spencer, Ben Thomas, Cal Foote.

Rutta allows us to at least give Foote a cup of coffee(even though I put Masin at LHD ahead of him as worthy of a cup). This was a depth defenseman trade, basically a change of scenery deal for both. Rutta likely goes back to the Czech league if it doesn't work out in North America and we cleared room for the Forward coming off IR.
They can bring Rutta up without waivers when the rosters expand after the trade deadline though, can't they?

The fancy stat people say he played really well for Chicago. He may be serviceable playoff depth.

I'm happy for Slater to be going to Chicago. At a minimum, they should know how to use a d-man with wheels like his a la the way they used Leddy for so long. The young man just needs a chance to play.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:06 AM

Hawks fans say Rutta was pretty good last year for them, then got hurt this year and slid.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:27 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuchieMonster View Post
Lol that's cute that you think that. That's like saying it wasn't the fault of the Captain of the Titanic for the boat sinking, it was his first mates.
I would say that the vast majority of draft picks are chosen by the scouting director/staff over the GM. The GM certainly has input on what kind of players he wants in the organization, but I doubt they are picking specific names in most cases. It's not like Yzerman was sitting at the draft throwing out names like Magnus Chrona and Dmitry Semykin. It's kind of the whole point of a scouting staff to go find the great players all over the world to draft.