BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 09-12-2013, 11:23 PM
BP Staff

Find some stability in the back and the US is dangerous. They have quality and depth everywhere else. They're very close to contending for something more.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:15 PM
BP Staff

Was reading an article today about MLS expansion. Orlando remains the logical choice to get the first franchise, and Beckham still seems hell bent on putting a team in Miami for the second franchise.

The front runner for the third franchise is now, apparently, Atlanta. Arthur Blank, who owns the Falcons and is footing the vast majority of the $1B+ bill for the new Falcons stadium has apparently met with MLS and wants a team. The new Falcons stadium is evidently being designed with extra wide sidelines, extra locker room facilities, and is able to be partitioned down into a 27,000 seat venue for soccer. I suspect the goal is not just to get an MLS tenant but to also make Atlanta a prime venue for World Cup games whenever FIFA brings the tournament back to the United States within the next couple of decades.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:26 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Unless they can draw the same way the Sounders do I don't think Gerber will be thrilled about it. MLS is finally getting out of the NFL stadiums.

As for Beckham wanting to put a team in Miami, he toured the city with his main financial backer(can't remember who off the top of my head, I just remember he's a big time FIU alumni) they also toured the FIU stadium which seems pretty well setup for soccer. 20,000 seats, 19 suite boxes, I don't know how well it's located in relation to the Miami-South Florida metro though.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:32 PM
BP Staff

This isn't your typical NFL stadium, though. Gerber himself mentioned Atlanta as a possibility for expansion and he's apparently already said 3 of the 4 expansion cities are already locked in.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2...am-don-garber/

SI is the source reporting that Atlanta is looking like a done deal, and the model for how the new dome would work for soccer is the facility in Vancouver.

http://soccer.si.com/2013/09/13/mls-...-atlantas-way/

Atlanta is the largest media market in the US without an MLS team, Blank has already tried to get an expansion team once before in the last round of expansion, and unlike Miami's bid, he has his spit together. There's a very clear timetable of when the new Falcons stadium is going to be completed (which is probably tied to some handshake deals with the NFL about the award of a Super Bowl), so there's no if's there. Not even Orlando can boast that their stadium funding is 100% in the bag the way Atlanta's is.

Last edited by pete; 09-20-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 12:59 PM
Cooper's Law

Don't sleep on San Antonio, either. They're pushing pretty hard for a stadium deal and their NASL team is heavily supported. There are/were also rumors of Detroit being a sleeper choice due to the supposed multi-billion dollar stadium plan as a reinvestment in the downtown area. Doubt that happens, though.

Atlanta makes logical sense, I just wonder about the city's dedication to a team. It's not exactly the most faithful sports town. Same with Miami.

Worth noting: Oklahoma City is going to soon be home to two teams. One in the NASL, the other in USL Pro.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:28 PM
BP Staff

I do think a soccer team in Atlanta will work with Blank's money to promote it.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:01 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I do think a soccer team in Atlanta will work with Blank's money to promote it.
And, if Orlando, Miami, and Atlanta come to fruition, you gotta think Garber is making a move towards creating the environment ripe for another Cascadia rivalry. Doubt that happens, but it is an intriguing possibility.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:35 PM

Took forever to get going but USA beats Jamaica 2-0 with goals from Zusi and Altidore. Obviously they didn't need this game but it was good to see them win even if it was a plodding effort.

Now to see if Mexico screws the pooch again against Panama.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:13 PM

Panama ties in the 82nd minute! Uh ohhhhh.

Wow! Golazo to take the lead back though! Well earned. Gorgeous bicycle kick.

Last edited by Hoek; 10-11-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Took forever to get going but USA beats Jamaica 2-0 with goals from Zusi and Altidore. Obviously they didn't need this game but it was good to see them win even if it was a plodding effort.

Now to see if Mexico screws the pooch again against Panama.
One of the best sports experiences in my life. The stadium was absolutely insane last night, the place went completely bananas when Zusi scored. I've never been so happy to be showered in beer before.