Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I almost forgot to mention Voltron
Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 PM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
I almost forgot to mention Voltron
Loved that one two but only the 1st one with the lions!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:54 PM

Hmm according to Wikipedia Kai simply ended one episode early. It was supposed to be 98 but they stopped at 97.

I know RScmitz doesn't like the wackier shows, but those that do or want to try, check out Martian Successor Nadesico. It does a great job of spoofing several anime tropes, especially Gundam, as well as Japanese pop culture in general. The movie was actually a bit more serious while still interesting, though. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is another series that has a silly take on giant robot genre, as well as plenty of "fan service" as they call it for those who like that.

Then there's Escaflowne, which fair warning is pretty girly, but brings giant robots into a medieval like realm. And finally for dark, depressing, WTF just happened giant robots.. there's Neon Genesis Evangelion. Always amuses me when people think they understand the ending. Personally I thought the original TV series ending was the best. The movies explained absolutely nothing..

Oh.. and Cowboy Bebop! That show is basically Firefly before Firefly ever aired. Trigun is another fun one.

Don't sleep on the older stuff dannybolt mentioned, great picks. Not all old anime is poorly animated, and a lot of the newer stuff is crap in its own way. When stuff is too clean it can lose a bit of character, IMO.

Last edited by Hoek; 06-22-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
WTF just happened giant robots.. there's Neon Genesis Evangelion. Always amuses me when people think they understand the ending. Personally I thought the original TV series ending was the best. The movies explained absolutely nothing..
One long confusing mind fuck. Pretty much explains a lot of anime though
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 PM
Erin Andrews' Real Deal

an even earlier anime is TOBOR The 8th man. Faster than a rocketquicker than a jet. He even had to smoke special cigarettes when his brain overheated
Old 06-23-2011, 08:08 AM
Mighty Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Then there's Escaflowne, which fair warning is pretty girly, but brings giant robots into a medieval like realm. And finally for dark, depressing, WTF just happened giant robots.. there's Neon Genesis Evangelion. Always amuses me when people think they understand the ending. Personally I thought the original TV series ending was the best. The movies explained absolutely nothing..

Oh.. and Cowboy Bebop! That show is basically Firefly before Firefly ever aired. Trigun is another fun one.

Don't sleep on the older stuff dannybolt mentioned, great picks. Not all old anime is poorly animated, and a lot of the newer stuff is crap in its own way. When stuff is too clean it can lose a bit of character, IMO.
I've heard good things about Escaflowne and NGE. I'll have to try them out some time.
I tried really hard to get into Cowboy Bebop, but it just didn't do it for me. It does have the best soundtrack ever for an anime, tho.

Heh, I guess you can get a good handle on when I got into Anime by my recommends. This whole conversation reminds me of hunting for VHS boots of Dragonball Z, Ah My Goddess! and Ranma 1/2 at comics conventions in the mid 90s. Now when I table at cons, there's zillions of kids dressed up like Naruto. Quite a bit different from when I was a kid.

Seriously, if you are concerned about the quality of animations, the list begins and ends with Akira. Nothing else is close.

I would also add Wings of Honneamise (sp?) to my list of recommends.

Satoshi Kon, who did Perfect Blue, also did Milennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, and Paranoia Agent. I've seen Paprika and liked it, so those are probably good bets as well.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:58 AM
Popcorn Server

Wow, 3 pages in and no mention of FLCL ("fooly cooly")?!? For shame, otaku, for shame. Just 6 episodes long, it is jammed packed with cultural references and has themes operating on several levels - it is almost "meta" anime. You will not get everything the first time thru. Also, for those who like grungy-garage style rock, the soundtrack just kicks (all done by The Pillows).

I was into anime big time a few years back, esp when Adult Swim was still rolling out the good stuff, but after going thru most of the creme, it became harder and harder to find stuff that didn't boil down to some kind of high school drama or just "teenagers with problems".

I have always loved Cowboy Bebop, and, yes, the music (Yoko Kanno and the Seatbelts) is fantastic. I own every Bebop music cd, incl the box set and listen to it quite frequently. There are some especially good jazz pieces in there, but the total range of music is quite varied. Yoko Kanno also did the music for the GitS tv series.

Speaking of Ghost in the Shell, a strong recommendation not only for both movies, but both seasons of the tv show as well. Lots of erudite stuff in there - well written. I loved the whole laughing man story - "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." The original GitS movie was the primary inspiration for the Wachowski's when they came up with the Matrix (in fact they used the movie when trying to communicate the basic concepts to studio folks).

I saw someone mention Paprika. Great stuff. If you like how that was done, the same person did a series called Paranoia Agent, which starts out as one thing and then goes off in a totally bizarre and unexpected direction.

I also really dug the original Full Metal Alchemist series. This one takes a little to get going, but once it does, the overall story arc has some great philosophical meat on the bone. Again, it starts off simply, you think its about one thing, but then once it starts building up steam, you realize its about something much much more.

Think I covered all the big ones to me, personally. Always love to discover new, quality anime, it's a great medium.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:06 AM

Fooly Cooly is just craziness. Good but crazy as hell
Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Franz Jean's Goalie School

Quote:
Originally Posted by kid A View Post
same person did a series called Paranoia Agent.
Love me some Paranoia Agent (and really anything by Satoshi Kon). A few episodes scarred me.

Anime tends to get a bad rap as being "for kids", but a huge amount of it is geared for adults, and it's a medium that allows for amazing storytelling. I would watch freaking shadow puppets if they told a good story.

I haven't had time lately to go exploring for new stuff, but I'll just post my favorites...

Boogiepop Phantom
Serial Experiments Lain
Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance
Voices of a Distant Star
Bakemonogatari
Old 06-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester47 View Post
It might be better know as G-Force!!! - The good guys were dressed in bird-like costumes... and Princess had a very short skirt, just saying...

Ohhh yes I did see this. Think I was a little young when it was on so I don't remember it too well.