BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 06-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Anime

Somewhat embarrassing to admit but I enjoy watching anime. When I was a kid I use to rush home to watch DBZ, and as an adult I make sure that I watch the weekly naruto episode that comes out.

Are there any fellow anime "junkies" here that can recommend some good anime? I don't want to watch anything before like 1995, the older animations make my eyes bleed. Feel free to leave your lists of the best anime you've watched before.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Erin Andrews' Real Deal

I prefer the old Speed Racer cartoons (not the "new/next generation" male bovine excrement). They are the ancestor to anime.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Mighty Mite

It does kind of depend on what kind of Anime you like. Do you like the goofy stuff (Ranma 1/2)? Over-the-top horror and violence (Fist of the Northstar)? The post-apocalyptic-giant-robot-teenage-girl-sci-fi stuff (Everything else)?

Me, I tend to gravitate towards less goofy, more drama type stuff with anime. I don't mind violence, but I can't get in to the super goofy stuff anymore. Most of these are older, cause that's what I cut my teeth on.

Older than 1995 (but still great):
Akira
Battle Angel Alita
Fist of the North Star
Riding Bean
Black Magic M66
The first Appleseed
Dominion: Tank Police
Vampire Hunter D

Newer:
Ghost in the Shell 1&2
Perfect Blue
Tekkon Kinkreet

I also recommend any and all Hayao Miyazaki movies:
Porco Rosso
Spirited Away
Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Princess Mononoke
Howl's Moving Castle
Castle in the Sky
Castle of Cagliostro
Kiki's Delivery Service
My Neighbor Totoro
Ponyo
Future Boy Conan - 70s TV show, still great tho.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:01 AM

If violent and somewhat twisted mentalities are your forte I highly recommend Hellsing and the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs and Deadman Wonderland. If you like giant fighting robots Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 are both incredible. Bleach is a good counterpart to Naruto. A lot of people I know like Fullmetal Alchemist but it's not to my tastes, but it's still highly recommended so perhaps you may like it.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:31 AM

Honestly, I don't know what I like. There are a lot of anime series that I hate. But also a lot that I love. I like everything that doesn't try and spurt out comic relief every 2 minutes or so. Best Drama/Horror I've ever watched is Monster, post-apocalyptic was probably Wolf's Rain, but that was a love-hate viewing. I even like the harem crap, Shuffle was amazing. Yakitate Japan is about baking..and I liked it, I'm amazed at how that is even possible. The slice of life animes are the best, GTO was fantastic.

I've liked Naruto the best though, being able to watch characters develop right before your eyes is pretty fantastic.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseSpace View Post
If violent and somewhat twisted mentalities are your forte I highly recommend Hellsing and the Hellsing Ultimate OVAs and Deadman Wonderland. If you like giant fighting robots Gundam Wing and Gundam 00 are both incredible. Bleach is a good counterpart to Naruto. A lot of people I know like Fullmetal Alchemist but it's not to my tastes, but it's still highly recommended so perhaps you may like it.
Watched most of the gundams. Gundam SEED was fantastic, then the follow up series was just more of the same but was also enjoyable, after that however, it became way too repetitive and combined with the morbid nature of the genre it pushed me away. All of the Gundams were like that. I did enjoy fullmetal panic, was a nice change of pace. I wasn't a fan of hellsing, I watched the entire first series of fullmetal alchemist and it was just another apocalyptic everybody dies nobody wins series to me. Bleach was good up until after the soul society arc, was all down hill from there.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Ponyo
My kids LOVE this film.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
I prefer the old Speed Racer cartoons (not the "new/next generation" male bovine excrement). They are the ancestor to anime.
I can do you one even older, Star Blazers was a huge thing when I was a kid.

I asked my anime/manga expert co-worker, these are her suggestions: Black Cat, Darker then Black, Ouran Host Club, Initial D, Scrapped Princess
Old 06-22-2011, 11:06 AM

DBZ is being remastered and re-aired as Dragon Ball Z Kai. They cut out all of the filler and contracted everything to flow exactly with the manga so instead of waiting 30 episodes for Vegeta to initially arrive on Earth it happens in like 7 episodes I think. Worth a look if you're still a Dragon Ball fan.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Erin Andrews' Real Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
I can do you one even older, Star Blazers was a huge thing when I was a kid.

I asked my anime/manga expert co-worker, these are her suggestions: Black Cat, Darker then Black, Ouran Host Club, Initial D, Scrapped Princess
Sorry, I think Speed Racer is about 8 years older. (1966 start date vs 1974 for Star Blazers)