BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 12-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Cooper's Law

Default Net Neutrality

Without net neutrality, Disney is rubbing its hands together like a classic Disney villain right now. I'd not be surprised if it comes out that there was a lot of backroom pressure on Pai from Disney to rush the net neutrality decision.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:18 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
Without net neutrality, Disney is rubbing its hands together like a classic Disney villain right now. I'd not be surprised if it comes out that there was a lot of backroom pressure on Pai from Disney to rush the net neutrality decision.
That's not how Net Neutrality works. Disney isn't a common carrier or ISP. They're a content provider. The only way a content provider benefits from Title I classification is by not having to deal with smaller upstarts and disruptors in their markets. YouTube wouldn't exist if we had today's FCC Title I classification. Remember Google Video? Had today's FCC existed then, Google could have paid the various ISPs to slow traffic to and from the upstart YouTube and basically killed them, because YouTube was small and wouldn't have been able to pay.

The ISPs back this because they get to tax Content Providers with fees for faster access to their customer bases. This is what Title II classification of the Internet prevented. Despite what Ajit Pai and Ben Shapiro try to sell, Net Neutrality isn't a new concept, it was codified in the Telecommunications Act of 1996(updated the 1934 one). The ISPs pushed the boundaries by fucking us and content providers until the FCC under Obama took them to court repeatedly. The court told them that their hands were tied until the ISPs were classified under Title II. So Obama's FCC did this. He dropped the ball though, he should have had the Internet classified as a utility permanently, because it honestly is one at this point.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
That's not how Net Neutrality works. Disney isn't a common carrier or ISP. They're a content provider. The only way a content provider benefits from Title I classification is by not having to deal with smaller upstarts and disruptors in their markets. YouTube wouldn't exist if we had today's FCC Title I classification. Remember Google Video? Had today's FCC existed then, Google could have paid the various ISPs to slow traffic to and from the upstart YouTube and basically killed them, because YouTube was small and wouldn't have been able to pay.

The ISPs back this because they get to tax Content Providers with fees for faster access to their customer bases. This is what Title II classification of the Internet prevented. Despite what Ajit Pai and Ben Shapiro try to sell, Net Neutrality isn't a new concept, it was codified in the Telecommunications Act of 1996(updated the 1934 one). The ISPs pushed the boundaries by fucking us and content providers until the FCC under Obama took them to court repeatedly. The court told them that their hands were tied until the ISPs were classified under Title II. So Obama's FCC did this. He dropped the ball though, he should have had the Internet classified as a utility permanently, because it honestly is one at this point.
Thanks for further fleshing this out. Unfortunately, I cannot think of ONE thing this administration has pushed for that benefits the average American. And this is one big example among many.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
Thanks for further fleshing this out. Unfortunately, I cannot think of ONE thing this administration has pushed for that benefits the average American. And this is one big example among many.
Exactly what I expected from the reality tv personality and his cabal of robber barons.

We’re screwed. I don’t hold up much hope that the goobers who adore him will come around.
Old 12-16-2017, 07:14 AM
Cooper's Law

Fortunately, we don't need those goobers. They are like 20-30 percent of the citizenry at most. We just need the majority in this country to get up off its ass and DO SOMETHING.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

And there in lies the problem, I believe most want to act but have no idea what to actually do. Write or call your congressman or rep, the feeling seems to be they won’t listen as we are not lobbyists putting hundreds of thousands in their pockets. Many are just wanting until November.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Fortunately, we don't need those goobers. They are like 20-30 percent of the citizenry at most. We just need the majority in this country to get up off its ass and DO SOMETHING.
You don't need the majority. The Civil Rights movement was not representative of the majority. A very vocal 10% can achieve big change.

Getting the current Republicans to do anything is a lost cause. They literally do not live in the same reality as most Americans. They consume their information from sources that are tasked with providing misinformation and propaganda.

The answer is to hold the Democratic Party accountable by primarying the shit out of them, supporting them in the Mid-terms and 2020 to flip the script on this shit. Then campaign finance reform and fixing of gerrymandering at the state level. This is why your state elections matter. Doug Jones won Alabama Statewide for Senate, but the GOP would have still carried the state for House races due to the racial gerrymandering there.

You vote for the GOP in the Governorships and state legislatures, Gerrymandering will prevent any real representation at the state level. That all trickles up to the US House of Representatives. Were gerrymandering not a thing, the GOP would be a regional party and be 100% irrelevant at the national level.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Bingo Bob's Intermission Contest

Agreed. Everybody needs to vote in EVERY election, from city, to state, to Federal..ESPECIALLY the state elections. That's where the gerrymandering comes from.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester47 View Post
And there in lies the problem, I believe most want to act but have no idea what to actually do. Write or call your congressman or rep, the feeling seems to be they won’t listen as we are not lobbyists putting hundreds of thousands in their pockets. Many are just wanting until November.
That's the real issue with obtaining progress. Right now, folks aren't completely wrong about how little their vote means. There are only 2 real ways that changes. One is bloodless, one is not. I prefer bloodless. I wager most folks would prefer not having to kill rich oligarchs and face down the US Military / Police in an open rebellion.