BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 05-03-2016, 11:06 PM
Cooper's Law

I heard someone say it's like a Double-A baseball team winning the World Series.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Pretty much when you look at the resources at their disposal compared to the bigger clubs.

Meanwhile the Rowdies just signed Joe Cole, who was a pretty big name over in England winning titles with Chelsea as well as playing for Liverpool and West Ham and in the World Cup. Should be interesting.

https://twitter.com/TampaBayRowdies/...80859123126272

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 05-05-2016, 03:58 PM

Say what you will about Trump, he's gold at doing soccer promos:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The last line says "The truth is the best they can do is not let us in."

Last edited by Hoek; 05-05-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:57 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I don't know if anyone's been following the English Premier League, but what a story it's been this year. Leicester City were crowned champions today as Tottenham failed to get a win needed to stay alive.
I think these "shock" winners might start happening a bit more often. The Premier League is rolling in TV money. At least half the clubs now have enough resources and smart people in the front office to compete. Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Liverpool were the original "Sky 4." Then Man City got super rich. Tottenham has an outstanding chairman who steadily built them up to be a big club. Leicester City has a lot more money than what they spent this year. West Ham United's had a breakout year and they got a sweetheart deal to play in the Olympic Stadium starting next year. Everton was probably the best of the moneyless clubs, and now they have a new multibillionaire owner. Southampton has an amazing academy that never seems to run out of good players and they always find their way into the mix. Even a team like Newcastle has big money and could be a threat if they didn't have such a dummy for an owner.

I think the days of the complacent Premier League clubs who just want to stay up are about to come to an end. Your West Bromwich Albions and Norwich Citys are not going to be able to sit on their ass every year and hope to get their 40 points so they avoid relegation. They'll be gone sooner rather than later, replaced by more ambitious clubs from the Championship. And if your owner goes broke or gives up, like what happened to Aston Villa, you might not be heard from again for a long, long time.

Also, is there an effective limit to how much more money a Man United or a Chelsea can spend? There's only so much incremental revenue out there to be had. Would they spend an additional $200M if they knew that it would only bring back at most, let's say $100M in revenue? If the answer is no, that further opens the door to the rest of the competition.

Last edited by TexasBolt; 05-05-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:40 AM

I hope you're right. It's a lot more fun than the same guys winning again and again. I actually really like Tottenham and hope they challenge and possibly win next year. I think Leicester falls off because it'll be their first go at European football next season and that will be a big lesson and test of their depth along with the schedule congestion. They were lucky to lose early in the FA Cup so that wasn't an issue for them this year.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:12 PM

Beckham is getting the shakedown from Miami demanding all sorts of community benefits as he tries to buy the last parcel needed for his stadium. Ridiculous how much resistance he's getting for something that is going to be completely privately financed.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...e76065727.html
Old 05-20-2016, 10:33 AM

Fennelly actually wrote a decent column about Bill Edwards and the Rowdies. Now if he would write a snarky bit about Freddy Adu being a bust that would be great!

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/socce...elings/2277689
Old 05-25-2016, 09:10 PM

Pulisic might be the best U.S. player since Donovan. Maybe better. Grats to Nagbe on his first international goal, it's been a long time coming. Please stick with these guys, Klinsi.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:43 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Pulisic might be the best U.S. player since Donovan. Maybe better. Grats to Nagbe on his first international goal, it's been a long time coming. Please stick with these guys, Klinsi.
When the games mean something, he'll play everyone out of position and make the real head-scratching decisions. I just can't ever get my hopes up with this team while Klinsmann is in charge.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery86 View Post
When the games mean something, he'll play everyone out of position and make the real head-scratching decisions. I just can't ever get my hopes up with this team while Klinsmann is in charge.
Yeah he's really sucked the enthusiasm out of US games for me. That loss to Colombia was unfortunate but we really didn't look like we'd score.

In other news, looks like the Copa Centenario won't be just a one off.

Report: Copa America, Gold Cup to merge, play regularly in US

Quote:
According to a report on ESPNDeportes.com, negotiations between CONMEBOL and CONCACAF officials to merge the Copa America and Gold Cup tournaments into one competition are nearly complete and would result in one championship for the Western Hemisphere that would take place every four years and would be held in the United States.

The report quoted two CONCACAF officials saying the negotiations are close to being completed, with one saying that, “CONMEBOL asked to give their response after the [Copa America Centenario] tournament. But today, they are convinced that [at] the next [CONMEBOL] Congress, it will be approved.’’
Strange. You'd think they would wait to see how much of a success this tournament is first, but it's definitely the best answer possible to the Euros.