BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 09-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I can still ping a computer I left on in my apartment, amazingly enough.

Hopefully power can be restored quickly to most in spite of the sheer number of folks without power. That is definitely one of the more miserable parts of these things.

Last edited by Hoek; 09-10-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:31 PM

A little late-in-the-game wobble to the right and the Tampa area misses the worst of it.

What's left of the eyewall is just about to cross I-4 in the Lakeland area. Anyone near there or up through Orlando who let their guard down after a relatively uneventful day is going to be a little surprised in the next few hours.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:31 AM
Dirt Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I believe in climate change but pointing at one or two storms and saying it proves the case is like people saying some snow disproves it. I mean it's been over a decade since the last really big hits and it's hard to point to a significant trend from the stuff I've read. It makes sense that it should be making things worse but I think other evidence is stronger.
One of my biggest complaints/pet peeves/things make me worry about humans is that no one pays attention to the peer-reviewed scientific literature on any scientific topic. **sigh** YouTube videos are not evidence......
Old 09-11-2017, 07:30 AM

No damage or power loss at our place in Land O Lakes. South side of 54 is dark. A few neighbors whose houses have multiple roof lines had leaks.

We are squatting in a bank owned houses garage to store outdoor furniture and swing sets. They left the back door unlocked so there was easy access.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:50 AM
BP Staff

Seems like Tampa slipped the noose again. Everyone I've checked in with so far says other than power outages everything is ok. No major damage.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:19 AM

Main damage I keep hearing about is trees falling. My parents house is surrounded by trees so that's the only thing I'm worried about.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:24 AM

If I'm repeating myself, sorry. 200 plus trees down in Sarasota, 60% lost power.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:28 AM

According to Reddit no real damage to Amalie other than a couple lamp posts down.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

We evacuated Oldsmar Saturday to a house in Ballantrae on SR 54 in Land O Lakes. A friend of my daugters went to stay with her aunt and offered her 4 bedroom house to us to stay, a miracle for sure. We had power the whole time while seeing on Facebook areas all around us dropping one by one.

I get back to my mobile home today and the only thing damaged was a downspout came loose from a gutter. And an awning had the brackets yanked out of the wall by the wind. But apparently the power stayed on the whole time, as the clocks weren't even blinking 12:00:00. Lots of leaf debris in the street, and big branches on an oak tree of my neighbors in my yard. But other than that, nothing. This after leaving Saturday thinking I would never see the house again.

My daughters house in Oldsmar has no power and my son's apartment in Feathersound still has no power, but my little mobile home looks like I just left for the weekend and returned to think "wow they must have had a bad storm". Crazy

We also evacuated my mother in law from Fort Myers Wednesday to my place. Her house has some shingles missing from the roof, the street has a foot of water, the power is supposed to be out at least a week, and a big pine tree fell but into her neighbor's yard but not hers. We thought for sure her manufactured home was destroyed after seeing how bad it hit Naples.

Finally I can relax after 10 days of Irma stress. Until the next one starts it's bullseye on Florida..
Old 09-11-2017, 04:17 PM

I got beat up badly last night in South lakeland. Lost power at 11. By 12 so many transformers were blowing up it was like lightning. Car alarms going off like crazy.

I lost parts of my privacy fence and my shed door. Nothing huge..but Massive damage via trees in the neighborhood. I counted 6 cars smashed from oak trees, a few trees in houses, roads totally inaccessible.

Stayed up through the eye wall and eye. Terrifying when you hear the gusts....you can hear it coming from off in the distance through the snapping of trees and light whistle...and when it hits...insanely loud. Huge oak trees swaying like jello.