BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 03-18-2019, 02:28 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
You've stated that Beto is potentially just running for the VP slot. Who would benefit most by having him as their VP. Would he have to be the VP for a woman/person of color for him to have the proper effect in the identity politics game? I mean, he's not going to help a Biden and Biden knows this as the Stacy Abrams rumor attests. If it's, in fact, Trump/Pence in 2020 they're going against, I can name one potential VP who would be fucking perfect for dismantling Pence. It's Pete Buttigieg and I'd pay real money to see that debate, lol.
Except the highest office he’s held in government is mayor of a small college town in Indiana. Granted, O’Rourke’s got the barest if minimum credentials in government too, but the first duty in selecting any potential VP is to pick someone capable of being a good POTUS if the unthinkable happens.

I think Beto would be a very attractive pair for Warren or Harris, in particular.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:41 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Except the highest office he’s held in government is mayor of a small college town in Indiana. Granted, O’Rourke’s got the barest if minimum credentials in government too, but the first duty in selecting any potential VP is to pick someone capable of being a good POTUS if the unthinkable happens.

I think Beto would be a very attractive pair for Warren or Harris, in particular.
Warren / O'Rourke is one I could vote for. Only because of Warren's policy and her being a progressive with the second best record (among those declared) of fighting for the People.

Harris is a no go for me, because she clearly puts her political ambition ahead of what's right. Always has. She's all identity politics and has co-opted the progressive talking points for political purposes only. She's not a progressive and has never been one. She also will not mobilize the 18-34 demographic (hey, largest voting block finally) on her own policies. So she'd have to scare them into voting for her instead of Trump. Same thing Hillary tried.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 03-18-2019, 02:51 PM

Gillibrand just clarified her position on Medicare4All. It's not Medicare4All.

So, like Beto and Harris, they've backtracked already.

Gillibrand said that she is for the public option as a "buy in" to Medicare. She correctly calls the public option(buy-in) a transition. Why start with the compromise? Medicare for All phased in over 10years with a stepped lowering of the age sounds great. Giving people at any age the chance to buy-in sounds like a great compromise. Allowing people to "buy-in" when lots of folks can't afford to buy insurance or into Medicare is not a solution for them. It'd still leave 29million people with no healthcare besides emergency care.

It's the same old story with the moderate democrats IMO. It places the comfort and ease of politics above the needs of the desperate. It's conceited and dismissive of suffering people. To continue to pre-compromise and not lead the people is so pathetically soft and disconnected from the realities people deal with.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 03-18-2019, 02:55 PM

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
I find it fascinating that you got defensive about my comment.

Hamlet, Act III, Scene II.
Defensive? I was just trying to show that it's rarely the candidates who are nihilists. Almost, never. I was just trying to understand what you meant by "nihilist" candidates and tried to draw a comparison to a legitimate movement within the Democratic Party that was nihilist when they didn't get their way.

If you weren't just talking about a theoretical "nihilist" candidate(which I claim doesn't exist and hasn't existed in recent memory), who or whose voters do you see as "nihilist"? What were you implying?

Also, that Act and Scene of that play has little to do with being defensive. Gertrude comments on the Actor playing the queen are meant to point out that vows are kinda dumb and that she's making too many vows. The word, "protest", didn't mean the same thing in Shakespearean times as it does today. I do realize that today it is often meant to convey distrust in someone's overly loyal comments and hiding of a true motive. Of course, it's been a long time since I read Hamlet.

Been thinking of a better situation in which to use the quote you're referencing in the Hamlet act/scene, found it. Let's say you were to imply that I wasn't a real progressive and then I spent quite a few words and not a small amount of time stating my loyalty to progressives and my history of supporting progressives, maybe even regaling you with tales of my involvement in campaigns of progressives and my monetary contributions to a bunch of progressive campaigns and causes. That would be the PERFECT time to reference that act/scene and Gertrude's quote directly even.

Last edited by ZeykShade; 03-18-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 05:46 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Defensive?
Yep.

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”
Old 03-18-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Yep.

“The lady doth protest too much, methinks.”
Yeah, you're using that wrong.

Protest meant "vow" in Shakespearean writings. It was spoken by Gertrude regarding an actor that was professing her love for her first husband wherein the actor professes a ridiculous litany of vows regarding her loyalty to her husband. The example I gave is when you use that expression.

I didn't profess my loyalty at all. I asked a question to get an example of a nihilist candidate or nihilist supporters because I can't name a nihilist candidate. Maybe Perot qualifies.