BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 02-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
Nobody is forcing you to read these threads. I've been a Lightning fan for as long as anyone on this board. My theory is, if you're not going to win it all, at least make it exciting. As for "team toughness", if you have a toal of 1 fight over the 5 games where this team got beat by 4 goals or more, it makes the team appear to be complacent with losing.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov

Send a message via AIM to nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFreadrich43 View Post
He's a consistent 20 goal scorer though and plays the power forward position better than almost anybody on the team. Bergenheim and Purcell haven't done much more to deserve being considered over Malone. All 3 have between 11 and 12 goals.
But you originally implied Malone had been skating in the top-6, which he hasn't done much of this season. Of Malone's 11 goals, 9 have come on the PP and while more time in the top-6 mix would no doubt help to somewhat balance that ratio, I don't know how much better they'd be if he had been skating with Lecavalier and Gagne. I have no qualms acknowledging his points ceiling is probably higher or on at least on par with Purcell's if given regular time on the 1st or 2nd line instead the checking line, but that doesn't change the fact that not being utilized in the top-6 on most nights means you're not a top-6 forward for the club. I think, for Malone, if he's unable to displace Downie from Stamkos' side, then he best serves the club in a checking role. The team, in style of play, is most balanced this way, IMO.

In this particular case, the reasoning isn't any less lack of ability but a combination of chemistry between Purcell, Lecavalier and Gagne and the fact that Purcell isn't playing to any of his strengths skating alongside Moore and Bergenheim on the checking line.

Quote:
I called 03-043 his coming out party, because he played at a high level without having to face Jagr. He implied that he only played tough against Jagr.
From that perspective, sure. I just see his play in the '03-'04 campaign as a carryover from his '02-03' playoffs in which the catalyst did seem to be playing against Jagr. Thus, my emphasis on his emergence then and not '03-'04 when, yes, he played a high level much more consistently.

Last edited by nhljohnson; 02-19-2011 at 12:03 PM.