BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
It utterly perplexes me that any observer of sports would think a defending team should just concede territory on the playing field for the sake of allowing the other team to progress. That's getting mad at a team for playing exactly the way they're supposed to. Sheer lunacy.
You know, I never thought of it in quite those terms. When you put it that way, I might have been wrong to call it the stupidest thing it's possible to say about hockey.

It could well be the stupidest thing it's possible to say about ANY type of battle or contest of wills, be it game, racing, or armed conflict, past or future. This is stupidity transcending time and sport, stretching across all human endeavor; something one rarely gets a chance to see in a lifetime. And just think--we got to witness it live through the miracle of TV.

What a magical age to be living in

Quote:
I felt like I was violated and had to go home and take a shower!
Many of us feel like that every time Milbury is on screen, Lomeister. For you to have experienced this horror in person is truly traumatic...you have the sincere sympathy of probably everyone here
Old 03-28-2013, 11:08 AM
John Tortorella's Doghouse

Other than the losing, which was hard to suffer- the deciding factor for BooBoo's dismissal might have been how he messes with the heads of the youngsters- Case in point, Brett Connolly. Mr. Connolly earned himself a seat on the bench, and ultimately a demotion to the AHL, for every infraction our side of the red line- the problem I have with this approach is the clear doulble standard for the older players, who it looked like to me were turning the puck over on our own blue line about ten times as much as the rook- with no consequences at all- and further, once Lindback started to struggle a bit, the approach to his getting back on track seemed to make matters worse, not better...Point is, if the kids are our ticket to the playoffs (and clearly, their play is critical to this endeavor), getting them to play their best hockey at the right times is the objective- benching them for a whole period for one blueline turnover isn't the right approach- ESPECIALLY when your veterans are making the same mistakes x 10 with no repercussions other than another L in the loss column. From what I've read about him it seems obvious Cooper is the right guy for the job with alot of young players on the roster.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalskate View Post
Other than the losing, which was hard to suffer- the deciding factor for BooBoo's dismissal might have been how he messes with the heads of the youngsters- Case in point, Brett Connolly. Mr. Connolly earned himself a seat on the bench, and ultimately a demotion to the AHL, for every infraction our side of the red line- the problem I have with this approach is the clear doulble standard for the older players, who it looked like to me were turning the puck over on our own blue line about ten times as much as the rook- with no consequences at all- and further, once Lindback started to struggle a bit, the approach to his getting back on track seemed to make matters worse, not better...Point is, if the kids are our ticket to the playoffs (and clearly, their play is critical to this endeavor), getting them to play their best hockey at the right times is the objective- benching them for a whole period for one blueline turnover isn't the right approach- ESPECIALLY when your veterans are making the same mistakes x 10 with no repercussions other than another L in the loss column. From what I've read about him it seems obvious Cooper is the right guy for the job with alot of young players on the roster.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:54 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalskate View Post
From what I have read it is becoming clearer that he was let go because he would not adjust. Yzerman had several talks with him and he would not change his system. To make it worse Cooper refuse to use the Boucher system as he claimed the kids were having a problem playing it so he went to a more simpler system and they walked away from the others in the AHL last year.

Then with all the all ups we had Boucher trying to get the kids to play his system.

Yzerman has quoted these past few days as saying all of his good coaches would adapt to the player, leaving one to think that Boucher would not. Then in today's Times Cooper said he dropped Boucher's game plan as it didn't work.

I like Guy, but if this is all true he has got to learn from this mistake and move on.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
Yzerman has quoted these past few days as saying all of his good coaches would adapt to the player, leaving one to think that Boucher would not.
Interesting, I distinctly recall right after Boucher was hired, a key point he made in early interviews was that, as a Master of Sports Psychology, he was adept at coaching each individual in the manner that suits that player best and at the level he's at, rather than forcing a one-size-fits-all coaching style on everyone. Maybe at the time that was his intent, but....
Old 03-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Swedish Battle Tank

Granted this is from Fennely, but I think he has it right.

Quote:
Boucher's buzzing system worked wonders his first season (Yzerman's first, too) and the Lightning swept to the Eastern Conference finals. But teams caught up last season, changed their game against the Bolts, found the open spaces, and the Lightning didn't always respond, at least to Yzerman's way of thinking. It's clear by what just happened that the GM decided that his coach was unwilling to adjust.
Quote:
Don't think it's a small thing that Cooper, the new coach, dumped the 1-3-1 after one season coaching it at the Lightning's AHL affiliate in Norfolk. Cooper, as much as he wanted to mimic the system being played by the Bolts' NHL club, didn't think it worked for his team. I don't think Yzerman is looking for obedience from Cooper, just an open mind.
Quote:
Put yourself in Yzerman's place. His hockey career taught him that change is everything. He played for Scotty Bowman, the greatest pro sports coach in history, who, as granite-like as he seemed, made a career out of adapting to his team and the times, winning all sorts of ways. That's how you can flourish, that's how you survive.

Yzerman had to learn about change, adjusting his game as his career went on, chafing at first under Bowman, until he became a great two-way player, and that's when he became a champion who lifted the Stanley Cup. I think that's where he partly must have been coming from when it came to Boucher, the idea that change should be part of anyone's game.
http://tbo.com/list/news-columns/for...me-b82469887z1
Old 04-02-2013, 06:51 AM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Many of us feel like that every time Milbury is on screen, Lomeister. For you to have experienced this horror in person is truly traumatic...you have the sincere sympathy of probably everyone here
Not to mention the fact I need to put up with stupid Bruins fans every day!!!

Okay, not all of them are stupid, but you get what I mean!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Swedish Battle Tank

Anyone know why Boucher would hold a confrence call at 4:30 today (per NHL Network) so he can talk about his firing? Is he going to lob bombs???
Old 04-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Side View Post
Anyone know why Boucher would hold a confrence call at 4:30 today (per NHL Network) so he can talk about his firing? Is he going to lob bombs???
Yeah, I don't really get the point...
Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Cooper's Law

If he did lob bombs, it'd be both wildly out of character and wildly stupid, since it'd make him significantly less attractive to other GMs