BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 02-25-2020, 12:46 PM
Cooper's Law

Y’all are really sleeping and on Goodrow. He definitely has the upside of a third-line center. And no, you can’t just sign a Barclay Goodrow at age 27 coming off a mini-breakout season this summer. Nope nope nope. He’s not just a fourth line thumper and he’s not just Paquette’s replacement.

Coleman too. He has the skill to earn a scoring line role. He’s not a “tweener” whatever that means (not sure I’ve heard it applied to hockey). If it means “guy who can literally do anything and play any style” then sure, I guess.

Look around the league. Are all fanbases for contenders who spent 1st rounders calling their teams stupid? Did some 1sts go for dmen? Yes. Did some 1sts go for skilled secondary scorers? Yes. Did some 1sts go for younger players on good contracts who have both skill and the necessary grit to thrive in the postseason? YES!

Goodrow is the second-biggest forward on the team! He was huge in the Sharks’ deep postseason run last year. And he’s taken that next step this season as a middle six forward for San Jose. Coleman was probably the most coveted trade piece on the market! JBB won a fucking bidding war against some big boys to get him. Go read the trade deadline grades and analysis. Go ask Pete (or someone whose knowledge you respect) how the Lightning did.

Think of it this way – when you have a Cup favorite with expectations to win it all, you do not gamble that two – TWO – rookies can play key roles or be hidden. No, when you’re the team everyone thinks should win it all you upgrade now (and worry the development of those rookies in the next year or two).

Try closing your eyes and imagining these two forwards contributing to our three deep playoff runs in recent years. With the stars we already have on this team, these are put-you-over-the-top complementary players. It’s also pretty easy to see a different result in last year’s early exit.

Give me a healthy Vasi and a healthy Hedman and let’s fucking go get that hardware. We now have the forward depth and style to do that.

Last edited by Bolthed; 02-25-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:02 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
If you're dumping assets for cap value, at least get a guy like Petry and pay for Montreal to retain some cap. He'd definitely have a greater impact now and moving forward.
Yeah, his future impact would have been losing either Sergachev or Cirelli. Petry was never, ever an option because of our cap situation next year. Even if Montreal retained 50% of his salary it was a $2.75 million cap hit. That’s money we don’t have. You have to also recognize that Petry is still with Montreal - meaning they either didn’t want to trade him or no other team was willing to pay the asking price.

These deals mean you have the Killorn and Paquette replacements for next year and a $3.3 million cap savings. It also is an upgrade this year going into the playoffs.

The difference between the two deals is $6 million in cap space. That’s huge.
How to know if you are a patriot. 2004 - you eat freedom instead of French Fries. 2008 - you drive with a flag from your rear window. 2016 - you stand for the anthem. 2020- you sacrifice your mother for the economy.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:49 PM
Cooper's Law

Pay VERY close attention when Donnie D and Bolthed agree on something!!!!
Old 02-25-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Yeah, his future impact would have been losing either Sergachev or Cirelli. Petry was never, ever an option because of our cap situation next year. Even if Montreal retained 50% of his salary it was a $2.75 million cap hit. That’s money we don’t have. You have to also recognize that Petry is still with Montreal - meaning they either didn’t want to trade him or no other team was willing to pay the asking price.

These deals mean you have the Killorn and Paquette replacements for next year and a $3.3 million cap savings. It also is an upgrade this year going into the playoffs.

The difference between the two deals is $6 million in cap space. That’s huge.
You can trade Petry at the end of the season. Our D core has been ravaged, not our lower liners. Fill the bigger hole if you are going to lose your mind and throw away valuable assets at a loss.

Furthermore, I don't buy Petry not being dealt as proof positive that he wasn't available, or shouldn't have been an option. Montreal was shopping him around, they just didn't get enough offered back.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
It’s happened a lot lately. One of us must be getting smarter.
How to know if you are a patriot. 2004 - you eat freedom instead of French Fries. 2008 - you drive with a flag from your rear window. 2016 - you stand for the anthem. 2020- you sacrifice your mother for the economy.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I also agree with you and Donnie.
Old 02-25-2020, 05:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
I also agree with you and Donnie.
Now I’ve changed my mind.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:08 PM
Cooper's Law

I’m LOLing