BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-29-2020, 02:30 PM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

Default Sens are the alpha and we are the omega

if Mirtle is right about a flat cap and signing RFA's to do cap space. JBB must be working overtime and more to keep what we got and sign enough to play 20-21. From the Athletic:

31. Tampa Bay Lightning
2020-21 salaries: $76.2 million
RFAs estimate: $11.5 million

Dead money deals: None
Notable unsigned UFAs: Kevin Shattenkirk, Patrick Maroon, Jan Rutta, Zach Bogosian, Luke Schenn

Projected cap space: -$6.2 million

What a deep-fried pickle here for Lightning GM Julien BriseBois to figure out.

Again, as with the Isles and some other teams, maybe I’m overestimating what they’ll pay their RFAs. But even before they sign them, they have only 15 players under contract and are just $5 million under an $81.5 million cap.

If the cap is flat, no team will have a harder time tackling that.

The RFAs that would still need to be signed? Mikhail Sergachev, Anthony Cirelli, Erik Cernak … you know, just three of the best young players on the roster. Even with just those three signed, the Lightning would only have 11 forwards and five defencemen. And be well over the cap.

So, yeah, something has to give. Maybe you dump an older forward, like Ondrej Palat or Tyler Johnson? I’m still struggling to pull together a full roster in that scenario, even if the deal involves no salary back, but maybe there’s a way.

More likely, however, the Lightning have to shed a couple of contracts this offseason. And I’m sure there’ll be plenty of teams at the top of this list lining up to “help” them do it.

https://theathletic.com/1765324/2020...best-to-worst/

wheeling and dealing if there is ever a determination of ending this season and beginning the next. After everything the Sens should have 29 mil bankrolled. Damn Bruins are okay also.

1. Ottawa Senators
2020-21 salaries: $39.5 million
RFAs estimate: $13 million

Dead money deals: Marian Gaborik LTIR ($4.875 million), Dion Phaneuf buyout ($1.35 million)
Notable unsigned UFAs: Craig Anderson, Ron Hainsey, Mark Borowiecki, Scott Sabourin, Mikkel Boedker

Projected cap space: $29 million

9. Boston Bruins
2020-21 salaries: $59.7 million
RFAs estimate: $10 million

Dead money deals: David Backes retention ($1.5 million)
Notable unsigned UFAs: Zdeno Chara, Torey Krug, Jaroslav Halak, Joakim Nordstrom

Projected cap space: $11.8 million

SFY pillages or does he help us?
Old 04-29-2020, 03:53 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Long story short: If Mirtle is correct, we're fucked.

It will be fitting if there's no Cup playoffs, so deadline deals were for nothing, and also get whipsawed on the cap.

Sounds a hell of a lot like 04-05 seasons without the Cup to act as a salve.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:29 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

If everyone has less cap space, RFAs are all getting less as a group (thus we won't be $6.2 million over the cap IMO), so that's already part of the solution right there, then just deal off Killorn as we all expect for a savings of $4.45 million. I don't think this is as hard as he makes it sound.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:44 PM
Cooper's Law

The best case scenario might be for the cap to stay flat and each team be allowed one compliance buyout since most teams and the league were expecting the cap to increase by at least $2 million. If that happens you could use the buyout on one of Johnson or Gourde and still allow you to trade Killorn.

Here is an example of what our cap would look like if that occurred:

Stamkos (8.5M) - Point (6.75M) - Kucherov (9.5M)
Palat (5.3M) - Cirelli ($4M) - Coleman (1.8M)
Gourde (5.16M) -Goodrow (925K) - Verhaeghe (800K)
Volkov (700K) - Stephens (800K) - Maroon? (900K)
Jospeh (700K)

Hedman (7.875M) - Rutta (1.3M)
McDonagh (6.75M) - Cernak (2.5M)
Sergachev (3.5M) - Foote (925K)
Coburn (1.7M)

Goalies (10.8M)

Salary Cap: $81,500,000
Projected Cap Hit: $81,191,666

Compliance Buyout: Johnson
Trade: Killorn and Paquette
Old 04-29-2020, 07:41 PM

Buying out Palat is a whole lot less expensive and gives you more space as you are only buying out 1 year of salary. With TJ you are looking at buying out 3 years.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Buying out Palat is a whole lot less expensive and gives you more space as you are only buying out 1 year of salary. With TJ you are looking at buying out 3 years.
That would depend on if the rules of compliance buyouts are adjusted, which is what I read into Derek's post. If it is of the Vinny L model, then TJ is your best bet. If not, agreed that Palat would get you better cost savings. That said, Palat actually brings something to the table on a nightly basis. TJ, not so much. I admit my love of Palat and disdain for this iteration of TJ may be coloring my analysis of the situation.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:42 PM
Cooper's Law

Yeah, I'm assuming it would be similar to the Vinny buyout where the entire cap hit is wiped off the board. Sure it would be more expensive for Vinik, but it puts us in a better spot to extend the contention window and keep more of the potential core (Cirelli, Sergachev, Cernak) locked up.
Old 04-29-2020, 08:46 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
That would depend on if the rules of compliance buyouts are adjusted, which is what I read into Derek's post. If it is of the Vinny L model, then TJ is your best bet. If not, agreed that Palat would get you better cost savings. That said, Palat actually brings something to the table on a nightly basis. TJ, not so much. I admit my love of Palat and disdain for this iteration of TJ may be coloring my analysis of the situation.
We know you are a fan of Palat, as are many of us. Your willingness to look at things from a purely $$ aspect is commendable. But, am I missing something? I thought it was pretty much established that TJ would be exposed to Seattle? If so, doesn’t that change the whole calculus?
Old 04-30-2020, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
We know you are a fan of Palat, as are many of us. Your willingness to look at things from a purely $$ aspect is commendable. But, am I missing something? I thought it was pretty much established that TJ would be exposed to Seattle? If so, doesn’t that change the whole calculus?
You are going to have to trade with seattle to take someone anyways, does it really matter if its tj or someone else?
Old 04-30-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
You are going to have to trade with seattle to take someone anyways, does it really matter if its tj or someone else?
This, plus the fact that the expansion draft isn't this offseason, so not really helpful to next years cap crunch.