BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-31-2019, 12:20 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Filppula to Philly. This has already been discussed thoroughly.
It was a modified NTC, and he did reject a trade to Toronto before Philly. I do agree it can happen, but it's not as easy as we want to think it is. And it's certainly not happening at this trade deadline unless something goes REALLY wrong in the next 2 months.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:46 PM

Yes, it has been discussed at least twice. Both times I showed you that you were wrong, but here we are again.

As Burn pointed out Filppula did not have a NTC. He had a limited NTC that enabled him to give the Lightning a list of 16 teams that could be traded to without his approval. The Lightning traded him to Philadelphia because they were on his 16 team list and they could trade him without his approval.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...de-maple-leafs

Still waiting for you to give me a name.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-31-2019 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:02 PM
Cooper's Law

Did you look at the link I posted?

Quote:
Filppula, 32, has seven goals and 27 assists this season. He's signed through next season at a salary-cap hit of $5 million and had to waive his no-movement clause to approve the trade.
So you're disputing that? Your article made no specific mention of Philadelphia being on his list.

Last edited by Bolthed; 12-31-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:18 PM

If you would rather believe the AP, that reputable hockey source, over the player himself, I guess nothing will convince you.

I’ll go with the player and Sportsnet. 32-year-old Finn had a clause in his contract where he could name the 16 teams that the Tampa Bay Lightning could trade him to.

“I had made a list earlier and just decided to stick with the list,” said Filppula. “When you do those things (in the summer) you have a little bit more time to think about things. So I just wanted to stick with that.”

So let’s see if we can make this clearer. Filppula had the ability to list the 16 teams that he could be traded to without his additional consent. He made a list. He turned down a trade to a team (Toronto) that wasn’t on his list. He decided to stick with the list of 16 teams that he created. He was traded to Philadelphia. Therefore, Philadelphia was on his list.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-31-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:40 PM
Cooper's Law

Show me where it says (ANYWHERE) that Philly was on his approved-teams list. I showed you a story from the Associated Press with concrete reportage. Yes, they are fucking reputable. Do you need me to explain the AP's bonafides for journalism or are you sinking to the depths of the "Fake New" folks I thought you disagreed with??

You're trying to infer meaning from his quote ... a quote, by the way, given on a conference call with the Toronto media who were grilling him about not wanting to play for Babcock. He literally did not say that quote about Philadelphia.

Look at his CapFriendly page: https://www.capfriendly.com/players/valtteri-filppula

He did have a NMC and his list was not a no-trade list, it was an approved-teams list.

Face it, you actually don't know what you're talking about. Disputing the Associated Press is just laughable.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:07 PM

The AP didn’t report this story, they just reprinted something that came over the news wires. These are not always accurate. So yes, since the player disputed the information, I’ll say that they were wrong.

And Trump never said that there was a quid pro quo either, so I guess one never existed.

I know exactly what I am talking about. I have always said that he had a list of 16 teams that he could be traded to.

I never thought someone could be less logical than WW. Congratulations.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-31-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
The AP didn’t report this story, they just reprinted something that came over the news wires. These are not first person accounts and the they are not always accurate. So yes, since the player disputed the information, I’ll say that they were wrong.

And Trump never said their was a quid pro quo either, so I guess one never existed.

I know exactly what I am talking about. I have always said that he had a list of 16 teams that he could be traded to I never said that he had a no trade list. So I believe it is you that is (again) incorrect.

It was also reported by TSN for what it's worth. I'd be surprised considering there were 16 teams on his to trade list, but TSN reporting it lends more credence to it for me.

Quote:
The 32-year-old signed a five-year, $25 million contract with the Lightning during the 2013 offseason and he also waived his no movement clause in order to complete the deal.
https://www.tsn.ca/flyers-trade-d-st...tning-1.684783
Old 12-31-2019, 04:17 PM
Cooper's Law

Sometimes players get a NMC along with a partial NTC to ensure that they are not waived and buried in the minors throughout the term of the contract. A player on a NTC can be waived, a player on a NMC cannot without giving approval. I don't believe Filppula would have waived his NMC because it would have technically allowed him to be assigned to the minors.

Think of it this way:

NMC = Full No trade protection and cannot be assigned to minors without consent.

NMC/Partial NTC = Partial no trade protection (player provides list) and cannot be assigned to minors without consent.

Full NTC = Full No trade protection but can be assigned to minors without consent.

Partial NTC = Player provides a list and can be assigned to minors without consent.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
The AP didn’t report this story, they just reprinted something that came over the news wires. These are not always accurate. So yes, since the player disputed the information, I’ll say that they were wrong.

And Trump never said that there was a quid pro quo either, so I guess one never existed.

I know exactly what I am talking about. I have always said that he had a list of 16 teams that he could be traded to.

Lol, good one. You’re going to tell me, a 30-year journalist, what the Associated Press does??!? I can assure you, they do not reprint anything. They are THE leading wire service. All of the content that says AP or Associated Press comes from their reporters. It’s a huge company. Look em up. You might learn something ... for once.
Old 12-31-2019, 04:36 PM

Once you waive a NMC it disappears forever.

FWIW the NHL story that day stated:

Hextall said Filppula is a player he's coveted for a number of seasons, and was willing to take on his $5 million salary-cap number for next season and a no-movement clause that means he must be protected in the expansion draft. Philadelphia’s expansion draft protected list included Filppula with the notation (NMC).

So the NMC wasn’t waived as part of the trade and the AP was incorrect.