BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 12-22-2019, 05:36 PM
Cooper's Law

Default Trade Deadline 2020 (Monday, February 24th)

It's getting to be about that time where trade rumors and who is scouting who will start to ramp up. We already seen the top guy on the market in Taylor Hall moved, so perhaps that will accelerate the trade market this season.

It will be interesting to see what JBB decides to do this season after not making any moves last trade deadline. Obviously the team isn't performing up to standard, so you maybe wonder if JBB will be aggressive this year. Yzerman was never fond about trading for rentals, but given our cap outlook for next season, you may have to rely on rentals.

Here is the cap situation headed into next season: $73.5 Million invested in 8 forwards, 3 defensemen, and 2 goalies. Assuming a modest increase in the cap, that will leave about $10 million for Cirelli, Sergachev, Cernak, two other defensemen, and 3-4 more forwards. That is going to be tough to figure out already, but nearly impossible if you add someone with term left after this season.

With that said. it seems like we could use another forward and maybe someone that could play with Hedman.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:25 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

We might need another goalie at this rate...
Old 12-29-2019, 07:09 PM
Cooper's Law

While nothing particularly noteworthy, JBB did acknowledge that he would like to add a forward and a defenseman.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:50 PM
Cooper's Law

I’d start being concerned if my name were Tyler Johnson or Yanni Gourde. Struggling to find any offense while being a shrimp at worst and a pest at best AND being paid handsomely isn’t going to keep you in future plans.

You’d like to think those guys would be motivated to find their way off the milk carton after being put on the so-called “struggle” line. But so far, nope.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:51 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
I’d start being concerned if my name were Tyler Johnson or Yanni Gourde. Struggling to find any offense while being a shrimp at worst and a pest at best AND being paid handsomely isn’t going to keep you in future plans.
Easier said than done. Both have full NTCs. Not impossible, but seems unlikely.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:58 PM
Cooper's Law

Being put on waivers can be very persuasive.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:06 PM

You act like neither player is trying or wants to do better. Like there is some switch that they could turn on, if they would just choose to do so.

Just for Shits and grins, let’s say the team puts Johnson and Gourde on waivers.

If they are claimed you now have 2 forward positions to fill. You don’t have anyone in the minors nearly as good, so that means trading picks and/ or players to fill those positions. And where is the depth to backfill those newly created holes?

And if they aren’t claimed, you still have the spots to fill, but this time you only have the league minimum available to fill those positions as their entire salary, less the league minimum, will still count against the cap.

Foot meet bullet.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-30-2019 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:21 PM
Cooper's Law

Who said to put them both on waivers right now? You just made that up. I also did not say that they’re not trying. Lol at your narratives. Shits and giggles indeed.

What I’m suggesting is where this might be heading if say JBB were to trade a pick and/or a prospect for a forward. Then you’ve got a spare forward who could be benched or waived (or threatened with both) and would theoretically be more amenable to waiving their NTC.

You keep clinging to your holy grail that NTCs never get waived, though (long after it’s been shown to you that they do, even on this very franchise).
Old 12-30-2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed View Post
Who said to put them both on waivers right now? You just made that up. I also did not say that they’re not trying. Lol at your narratives. Shits and giggles indeed.

What I’m suggesting is where this might be heading if say JBB were to trade a pick and/or a prospect for a forward. Then you’ve got a spare forward who could be benched or waived (or threatened with both) and would theoretically be more amenable to waiving their NTC.

You keep clinging to your holy grail that NTCs never get waived, though (long after it’s been shown to you that they do, even on this very franchise).
You said that waivers can be very persuasive. No, I guess you weren’t making that suggestion.

I’ve asked multiple times, who has ever waived their NTC to go from a low tax state on a contender? You’ve never been able to give one player. Not one.

Someone threw out Skinner, who waived to go to Buffalo. If you thought Carolina was a more viable contender at the time, that’s a possibility. I didn’t. I even through out Marty St Louis, but it was his request because he wanted to go to a team with a better chance of winning the cup.

Last edited by Donnie D; 12-31-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:12 PM
Cooper's Law

Filppula to Philly. This has already been discussed thoroughly.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...reit/98595848/

Last edited by Bolthed; 12-31-2019 at 12:22 PM.