BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 11-24-2019, 08:05 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Lightning Acquire D Devante Stephens for D Matt Spencer

Two AHL/ECHL tweener defensemen get a change of scenery.

https://www.nhl.com/lightning/news/t...es/c-311744794

I think the thing that struck me about this is that I forgot Spencer was a 2nd round pick.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:13 PM

Spencer was a huge swing and a mix. Had the pedigree to be a star but never developed
Old 11-24-2019, 08:20 PM
Cooper's Law

One of several second round misses. Johnathan McLeod, Dylan Blujus, Brian Hart to go along with Spencer. Your starting to get to the point where Masin might have to join that list.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:33 AM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

Default Masin is already a failure in time expected to help

it is not a forever timeline and Masin has passed where he should have been expected to develop into a 3rd pair or 7th dman who can occasionally eat ice time when needed. Ceiling seems to have been hit and it is a low ceiling.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Captain Poke Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
One of several second round misses. Johnathan McLeod, Dylan Blujus, Brian Hart to go along with Spencer. Your starting to get to the point where Masin might have to join that list.
This is an issue for the scouting and training of our D.
Name me one D beyond Hedman who's amounted to anything but a swing for the fences.

I can say Gudas......
The rest of our D have all been acquired in trades - Not that it's the end of the world but geez you'd think we find something in the draft someplace.

We are great at finding the next 5'10" forward phenom who's great on the perimeter and a steal in all the rounds but finding someone who can play "D" or be of size not so much.

My opinion and I'm sure it's the minority - Coaching staff needs an upgrade to find the 'bigger players' think Maroon type for forwards and like Brandon Carlo for the Bruins..... we just don't scout for those players or what we see are the 3rd stringers.

Thoughts for a gloomy Monday!
Old 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM

They all haven't all been busts. DeAngelo looks like he has grown up and will be a real good defenseman. Hajek will be a second pair guy for a number of years.

We don’t know what Koekkoek would have become without the injuries. And Dotchin had the ability to be a late round steal.

Last edited by Donnie D; 11-25-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:05 PM
Captain Poke Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
They all haven't all been busts. DeAngelo looks like he has grown up and will be a real good defenseman. Hajek will be a second pair guy for a number of years.

We don’t know what Koekkoek would have become without the injuries. And Dotchin had the ability to be a late round steal.
We are talking 10 years of drafts and not one homegrown talent.
DeAngelo - still not sold that was a #1 pick with head issues
Koekkoe - #1 pick with huge injuries before the draft.
Dotchin - really?

I had two points #1 Our drafts of "D" have been awful for the last 10 years.
Second point we have yet to develop a single "D" player to be useful for us.

Outside of Hedman who is a pure offensive "D" man we have nothing to show.

We look year after year to find "D" and Power forwards come trade deadline.
We can sure find the smurfs by the bucket but anything of solid size and/or D skill we've got NADA......

Go Bolts
Old 11-26-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
Outside of Hedman who is a pure offensive "D" man we have nothing to show.
Read up until the bolded bit, then stopped to post: How in the hell did you force your fingers to type out something so daft?
Old 11-27-2019, 06:40 AM
Captain Poke Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
Read up until the bolded bit, then stopped to post: How in the hell did you force your fingers to type out something so daft?
It was simple after watching his play for the last decade. In the stands, away games both live and from the Television. He is not a superb defensive "D" player. He's better than average but IMO no Chara, Lindstrom, Doughty, Weber in their primes, he has definitely honed his skills on the "O" side of the ice winning the standard Norris Offensive championship and will probably compete a few more times for that.

Still too many gaffs up the middle, failure to clear the puck(s), win critical and/or significant battles along the boards. As some in the community state if you play in his face along the boards a cough up is sure to come leading to the juicy scoring opportunity.

To be honest, he has improved the "D" game but in no stretch of the imagination does he lead my list of "D" players. Today's "D" is measured in points scored not whats left of the score board. Look internal watch #27 play the "D" end of the ice that is to me someone worthy of the defensive stalwart on our team. Mac will never win a trophy because the measuring stick is how many goals and assist you get for the "D" player.

I stand by my comment outside of #77 we have not drafted nor developed anyone of value in the organization on the "D" side of the team in the past 10 years.

We can find the 5'8" - 5'11" offensive wunderkind draft after draft nice but you win Cups, which BTW is the only goal by finding and developing those big grisly "D" and power forwards. Yes we will win a lot of games with the fluff lads in the 82 game pond hockey preseason but come playoffs we will continue to look from afar wishing for more.
Old 11-27-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenbolt View Post
It was simple after watching his play for the last decade. In the stands, away games both live and from the Television. He is not a superb defensive "D" player. He's better than average but IMO no Chara, Lindstrom, Doughty, Weber in their primes, he has definitely honed his skills on the "O" side of the ice winning the standard Norris Offensive championship and will probably compete a few more times for that.

Still too many gaffs up the middle, failure to clear the puck(s), win critical and/or significant battles along the boards. As some in the community state if you play in his face along the boards a cough up is sure to come leading to the juicy scoring opportunity.

To be honest, he has improved the "D" game but in no stretch of the imagination does he lead my list of "D" players. Today's "D" is measured in points scored not whats left of the score board. Look internal watch #27 play the "D" end of the ice that is to me someone worthy of the defensive stalwart on our team. Mac will never win a trophy because the measuring stick is how many goals and assist you get for the "D" player.

I stand by my comment outside of #77 we have not drafted nor developed anyone of value in the organization on the "D" side of the team in the past 10 years.

We can find the 5'8" - 5'11" offensive wunderkind draft after draft nice but you win Cups, which BTW is the only goal by finding and developing those big grisly "D" and power forwards. Yes we will win a lot of games with the fluff lads in the 82 game pond hockey preseason but come playoffs we will continue to look from afar wishing for more.
You just said he is a pure offensive D because he isn’t at the level of those first ballot hall of famers? Come on, he would still be one of the best D in the league without any points. As someone who has watched hockey since the team’s inaugural season, nobody comes close to him. He prevents shots and goals with his reach, speed, and smarts and it goes unnoticed.