BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Default Bolts vs Leafs 1/17 7:30 pm

I see nothing useful on twitter except this:

https://twitter.com/Olivia_Stacey/st...31297322078208

There will be a feature on our wonderful anthem singer Sonya on Bay News 9 tonight, debuting at 10:30.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:25 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Nlt the outcome I was expecting when we went up 1-0
Old 01-17-2019, 10:38 PM
Cooper's Law

Andersen played a hell of a game and arguably stole the win. If we do end up playing Toronto in the playoffs, we need Girardi and Callahan out of the lineup. They just don't have the speed to keep up in a game like this and it was noticeable. That might not be too big of an issue because I doubt this soft Leafs team gets by Boston if that is their first round matchup.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:43 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Seemed like they played better tonight than they did in the 4-1 game they won earlier.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Captain Poke Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
Andersen played a hell of a game and arguably stole the win. If we do end up playing Toronto in the playoffs, we need Girardi and Callahan out of the lineup. They just don't have the speed to keep up in a game like this and it was noticeable. That might not be too big of an issue because I doubt this soft Leafs team gets by Boston if that is their first round matchup.
They sat Joseph last night because he made a mistake in the last game taking a penalty in the offensive end of the ice. Coach jumped all over Joseph on his way back to the bench and went to the end to sit in the corner. That has been the MO of this team's coaching staff..... bench a kid making a mistake from effort and speed. If you want a wily slow as mud vet yup you got a Callahan.
Last night's game was all about SPEED and we lost some battles in that part of the game. This is playoff hockey you need your BEST, FASTEST players on the ice to match up not the slow pokes from yesteryear.

6/98 combo was brutal last night and the 3rd goal was loads of puck watching from the lads four in the corner Marner doing the waltzing matilda to the net not a soul to cover him except the lazy back cover from Gourde.
Turnovers and bad coverage in the "D" zone lost the game and then Andersen did to us what Vasy did to them..... stole a game.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:40 AM

This game was a cup final game 7 for the leafs. It was game 48 of the reagular season for tampa. I am concerned that our 4th line that takes a 7th of our salary is as bad as it is. Toronto is talking this was a statement game for them. Meanwhile they are only 6 points from being on the outside of the playoffs looking in.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
This game was a cup final game 7 for the leafs. It was game 48 of the reagular season for tampa. I am concerned that our 4th line that takes a 7th of our salary is as bad as it is. Toronto is talking this was a statement game for them. Meanwhile they are only 6 points from being on the outside of the playoffs looking in.
6 and 98 looked stupid together.

Hedman made some bone headed plays & made up for them with an Assist and a goal.

I don't think the Bolts really engaged them effectively at 5 on 5 for most of the game. Part of this was the incessant desire to carry the puck through the NZ or to east/west pass IN the NZ while their F and D were pressuring. The Leafs played a pretty solid game in the NZ and that's the strat they'll use against us. The Lightning were unwilling to simplify, dump, chase, forecheck, grind. Against an already fast team(we do this to other teams all the time too), you have to be willing to do the boring shit hockey of dump, chase, grind, forecheck. If you're not willing to do that, you're going to turn the puck over a LOT in the NZ or just inside the opponent's blue line. That does nothing but make an already fast team, faster. You could have 3 lines of players Connor McDavid fast and you'd lose that game very often. You're never going to have enough speed to turn a puck over in the NZ, stop your progress and accelerate the other way 180 and stop the opponents' attack.

Had the Bolts potted one or two of Stamkos' 10 shots on goal or one of Kucherov's man-advantage goals at the end, it wouldn't change the fact that I don't think the Bolts did enough at evens to "deserve" that game. Andersen was stopping everything and standing on his head on the PP's we had, but the playoffs and most games are won at evens. Need more lunch-pail simplicity at evens. If the skill on this team brings its lunch pail, we'll beat everyone. If they take a game off from this mentality, there are plenty of teams that will win on effort alone. Can they win on effort alone for 4 of 7? Only if the Bolts take multiple games off.

In summation, the Leafs deserved that game. The Bolts did enough to win it(mainly due to man-advantage situations, PP and EN). Andersen bailed out the Leafs during those man-advantage situations like he's supposed to.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:24 PM

Anderson stole it. Just like Vasilevskiy stole the first one.

Last edited by Donnie D; 01-18-2019 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 PM

I liked how Sergachev played paired with Stralman, I didn't think Stralman played particularly well though.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Anderson stole it. Just like Vasilevskiy stole the first one.
I felt Anderson was good, but there were a TON of shots directed right at his chest.