BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 10:38 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick9911 View Post

How disgusting.
What disgusting? That none of these stories can be verified as of today?

Let us sit back and see how this plays out.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:46 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

Cool, let's all root for women to come forward en masse to allege sexual assault because if anything it will bring the same people calling them a bunch of lying, opportunistic sluts to the polls!
Old 09-24-2018, 10:52 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick9911 View Post
Cool, let's all root for women to come forward en masse to allege sexual assault because if anything it will bring the same people calling them a bunch of lying, opportunistic sluts to the polls!
And now you know why it's not hard to fathom why women who are victims of these assaults have such a hard time coming forward.

Hell, you can pass a lie detector test or have your attacker confess on video tape and you're still going to have people like Waiver who are going to defend the man to the hilt just because that man has a (R) beside their name.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:00 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
I am starting to think that this is good for the GOP as it will give them a reason to vote.
Keep believing that, champ.

Quote:
The gender gap is mind-blowing in the new WSJ/NBC Poll: Men want a GOP-led Congress by 3 points. Women want Democrats to lead by 25 points. https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-vo...ows-1537707600 via @WSJPolitics
https://twitter.com/aaronzitner/stat...52732703092742
Old 09-24-2018, 11:04 AM
Brad Richard's Contract

Interesting take on Trump and why the US is so divided.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/l...133521625.html
Old 09-24-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
Have you ever seen one post by pete that went against the left? Just one???
Yes.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
Interesting take on Trump and why the US is so divided.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/l...133521625.html
That's not remotely interesting. Why would any average American want to be told how well billionaires are doing(and assuming everyone else is feeling), by a billionaire and then give credit to Trump whose economic policies have nothing to do with the windfalls the already wealthy have been handed since 2008. Remember they almost burnt it all down with their greed, but the Obama Administration rescued them, let millions lose their homes, but made sure to pay out CEO bonuses with tax-payer money while instructing the Fed to give 0% interest loans to big banks through Quantitative Easing.

Trump is not the disease. Trump is a symptom. This isn't a new concept. This isn't some rare insight from this guy. This is the exact point I've made since 2016. The disease is using the financial sector to judge how well the country is doing. The disease is both parties giving zero fucks about the People and caving to their donors. The disease is both parties worshipping capital.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
That's not remotely interesting. Why would any average American want to be told how well billionaires are doing(and assuming everyone else is feeling), by a billionaire and then give credit to Trump whose economic policies have nothing to do with the windfalls the already wealthy have been handed since 2008. Remember they almost burnt it all down with their greed, but the Obama Administration rescued them, let millions lose their homes, but made sure to pay out CEO bonuses with tax-payer money while instructing the Fed to give 0% interest loans to big banks through Quantitative Easing.

Trump is not the disease. Trump is a symptom. This isn't a new concept. This isn't some rare insight from this guy. This is the exact point I've made since 2016. The disease is using the financial sector to judge how well the country is doing. The disease is both parties giving zero fucks about the People and caving to their donors. The disease is both parties worshipping capital.
Don't forget about ensuring student loans never go away. Many also carry usurious rates (mine are almost 6%, and that was for public universities, and I'm doing a damn sight better than most).

I'll never understand how it is a good idea to loan capital to banks at 0%, which indicates they are risk free, when you just had to bail them out for trying to wreck the global economy. It is because the economy runs on credit lubrication, but that rate is asinine, especially compared against other interest rates. I mean, you can't get a mortgage for that low, and that is asset backed. That 0% rate isn't backed by anything (aside from the implicit idea that the government will gallop in to the rescue once the banks inevitably fuck up again). What's really aggravating is that even when they got the 0% rate, they used it to buy T-Bills and just pocketed the difference. The idiots in Treasury got pantsed by the banks like 4 different ways. Paulsen was a complete joke of a Treasury Secretary.

To your big point, though: You are 100% correct. It's all about prioritizing Capital above all else. So many current problems in our economic system are due to that. So many.

Last edited by dannybolt; 09-24-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:41 PM

Hank Paulson did EXACTLY the job he was meant to do. He did it incredibly well. You can't really deny it. Problem for the rest of us is, his job wasn't to help you and me. He was a Goldman Sachs partner from 1982 - 2006 or something ridiculous.

These people don't work for us. It's not because they're evil or bad. It's because they're in a bubble. The people they're around daily aren't living in the World you and I live in. That's not to say that there aren't wonderful multi-millionaires and billionaires helping the People. There are. There just aren't very many in government.

The Average American doesn't have a powerful lobby to buy $2500 breakfast plates to be in the rooms these people are in.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:24 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Hank Paulson did EXACTLY the job he was meant to do. He did it incredibly well. You can't really deny it. Problem for the rest of us is, his job wasn't to help you and me. He was a Goldman Sachs partner from 1982 - 2006 or something ridiculous.
Incorrect. As treasury secretary he was supposed to have some inkling of systemic risk within the financial markets, understand that the derivatives market was completely opaque, understand the solvency problems that the largest banks could be exposed to because of that opacity, be aware that a single insurer (AIG) was the sole underwriter of an entire market segment, and understand the interconnectedness of global markets far better than he did, as is evidenced by every decision he made during the crisis. Hell, Brooksley Born knew and sounded the alarm bell about derivatives. She understood what was up. If Paulsen had even an inkling about the systemic market risk in the derivatives market, Lehman would still be a going concern.

The problem is that finance guys always think they are smarter than they are. They are not. They underestimate their risk 100% of the time.

The fact that Paulsen had to do a self serving after the fact documentary basically claiming the "no one could have seen this coming" proves that he fucking should have, because THAT was his job.

My point on Treasury getting pantsed relates partially to the above, but also to giving the banks 750 Billion (with a B) to kickstart the credit markets, but instead they just bought T Bills. Paulsen committed professional malpractice by not attaching strings to that 750 Billion (with a B).

Quote:
These people don't work for us. It's not because they're evil or bad. It's because they're in a bubble. The people they're around daily aren't living in the World you and I live in. That's not to say that there aren't wonderful multi-millionaires and billionaires helping the People. There are. There just aren't very many in government.

The Average American doesn't have a powerful lobby to buy $2500 breakfast plates to be in the rooms these people are in.
I don't disagree with any of the above, I just want to separate the point that he didn't work for the average U.S. Citizen from the point that a certain level of competence is required, which he did not display as Treasurer during the crisis.

He did ensure that nobody of consequence paid for their stupidity, and that the big banks got richer while the rest of us bailed them out and took it in the teeth. In that you are correct. It should be pointed out that the Obama administration underwrote Paulsen's utter abortion of a response by keeping Summers and Geithner on, and having a useless attorney general, Eric Holder, refuse to press charges on, well, pretty much anyone related to the collapse, because it would be "difficult". Yes we can, indeed.

I'd also like to remind everyone that Trump's victory is a direct descendent of all of the above. This is why people like me (and ZS, if I can put words in his mouth) continue to harp on both establishment Republicans and Democrats because it is blatantly obvious they are tools of the wealthy, and not much else. The people thought they would get change under Obama, and they thought Trump would drain the swamp. Wrong on both counts.

Last edited by dannybolt; 09-24-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Closed Thread