BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
A number of right wingers are claiming that they are not coming to any games until JT is gone. I've been asking for their tickets, but it seems none of those folks from Utah have any tickets to give me.
HAHAHAHA.....not happy with what he did, but he has that right if the team and league allow him to do so.

Even Kaepernick is saying he will stand if he is given another chance.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:56 PM

It's not my thing either, but I support his right to do it - more importantly, so did the SCOTUS.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:31 PM

A lot more kneeling drama today, a lot less caring.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
It's not my thing either, but I support his right to do it - more importantly, so did the SCOTUS.
This is a huge misconception.....your Constitutional Rights of Freedom of Speech protects you from the government, unless they are your employer. This right does not protect an employer. The SCOTUS does not prohibit your employer from taking actions against you.

It is the government that can not touch you, but your employer can discipline you and even fire you.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
This is a huge misconception.....your Constitutional Rights of Freedom of Speech protects you from the government, unless they are your employer. This right does not protect an employer. The SCOTUS does not prohibit your employer from taking actions against you.

It is the government that can not touch you, but your employer can discipline you and even fire you.
You are confusing freedom of speech with a requirement to participate in a political ceremony. Jehovah Witnesses, for example, have protection from participating in a national ritual. The courts have also ruled that private employers cannot make you participate in a partisan event.

While your employer can discipline you for your speech, it cannot require you to participate in a political ceremony. Especially, in an arena owned by the public.

They probably need to work out a reasonable accommodation, such as letting them stay in the locker room if they object to standing.

My hope is that JT will say that he made his point and let it go.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:52 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
A lot more kneeling drama today, a lot less caring.
Like I said, the (over)reaction by the right doesn't fit how minor the method of peaceful protest is. The far right is caught in this vortex of red meat collective frothing at the mouth while the rest of the country is looking at it and realizing the players look a hell of a lot more reasonable than people making racist death threats, burning apparel and tickets, and threatening to boycott the nation's real pastime. Pence's pathetic publicity stunt at the Colts game today looks like pearl clutching faux outrage, too, which only underscores how disingenuous the Administration's stance is by misrepresenting the protests as an issue of the players being anti-patriotic rather than protesting inequality in the communities the vast majority of them came from.

The ironic thing is that it's something that I imagine more than half of the people in the country would've forgotten about by now if it weren't for the fact the right keeps trying to stoke the fires to keep it alive as an issue for their base. And in that respect, even though I think Kaepernick's a bit of a knucklehead, I have to tip my cap to him for suckering the right wing white supremacist power structure in this country for feverishly racing to jump the shark. As uncomfortable as white America is talking about race or dealing with any kind of confrontational political rhetoric when settling in for an entertaining afternoon of football, they're even more uncomfortable with Brietbart America's racist, over-the-top response.

And none of the above is going to matter in 12 months when we're in the middle of a recession as Mueller's investigation continues to issue indictments of key Trump adjutants on his way to rolling up their entire crime family. You think it's a coincidence Bob Corker is now openly courting a political fistfight with the leader of his own party? You think it's a coincidence he's retiring to avoid the coming tsunami? It's the beginning of the end for Trumpism. Really.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:57 PM
BP Staff

I love how Waiver's workaround for this is to swap government fascism out for corporate fascism. Now you see the ideological cesspool that a bogus court decision like Citizens United spawned from.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:37 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Like I said, the (over)reaction by the right doesn't fit how minor the method of peaceful protest is. The far right is caught in this vortex of red meat collective frothing at the mouth while the rest of the country is looking at it and realizing the players look a hell of a lot more reasonable than people making racist death threats, burning apparel and tickets, and threatening to boycott the nation's real pastime. Pence's pathetic publicity stunt at the Colts game today looks like pearl clutching faux outrage, too, which only underscores how disingenuous the Administration's stance is by misrepresenting the protests as an issue of the players being anti-patriotic rather than protesting inequality in the communities the vast majority of them came from.

The ironic thing is that it's something that I imagine more than half of the people in the country would've forgotten about by now if it weren't for the fact the right keeps trying to stoke the fires to keep it alive as an issue for their base. And in that respect, even though I think Kaepernick's a bit of a knucklehead, I have to tip my cap to him for suckering the right wing white supremacist power structure in this country for feverishly racing to jump the shark. As uncomfortable as white America is talking about race or dealing with any kind of confrontational political rhetoric when settling in for an entertaining afternoon of football, they're even more uncomfortable with Brietbart America's racist, over-the-top response.

And none of the above is going to matter in 12 months when we're in the middle of a recession as Mueller's investigation continues to issue indictments of key Trump adjutants on his way to rolling up their entire crime family. You think it's a coincidence Bob Corker is now openly courting a political fistfight with the leader of his own party? You think it's a coincidence he's retiring to avoid the coming tsunami? It's the beginning of the end for Trumpism. Really.
I hope, for the good of the Republic, that you are correct, and that Mueller will bring down the Trump administration. However, I've got a sinking suspicion that this is gonna be Scooter Libby part deux. The worst thing would be for Mueller to get someone just outside the oval, leaving the Trump administration to survive and use the whole thing as a justification to further rile their idiotic, rabid, base.

From what I've read Corker never planned on being a career Senator, and only wanted to do it for a couple terms. That said, I would think disassociating himself from the current Republican party probably made his decision to carry through on the decision to retire an easy one.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:52 PM

Very disturbing about The Villages in today’s Times. The residents aren’t WV bottom 10% ers looking for a new gig in a mine or another Oxy but sound as rabid about Trump as any of the stereotyped”deplorable”.

And they turn out to vote.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:

Yep, today was a publicity stunt, nothing more. They are milking their success from stoking up the average American's disagreement with the kneeling and are overreaching. Just like how many have desensitized itself to Trump, the shock value from kneeling has largely gone to the wayside.

Quote:
Unless Mueller brings to light some seriously damning evidence, I can't discount Trump. I completely dismissed him the first time and he currently resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. I lost faith in the average American after the last election cycle. Both sides need some better candidates.
Closed Thread