BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 04-13-2014, 07:33 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
There's two common Ethnicities: (1) Hispanic or Latino, and (2) Not Hispanic or Latino.

I take "N" to be mean Not Hispanic or Latino
And you are correct
Old 04-14-2014, 12:18 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
There's two common Ethnicities: (1) Hispanic or Latino, and (2) Not Hispanic or Latino.

I take "N" to be mean Not Hispanic or Latino
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post
And you are correct
Needs to be published in Creative Loafing "News of the Weird", under the familiar heading Can't Possibly Be True
Old 04-14-2014, 04:25 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Needs to be published in Creative Loafing "News of the Weird", under the familiar heading Can't Possibly Be True
It's part of a Fed Reg

http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg_directive_15
Old 04-14-2014, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Maybe it's because I do this daily, but I am surprised that you find this weird. You have race and you have ethnic status. You can be white, non Hispanic; white, Hispanic; black, non Hispanic; and black, Hispanic. The only way you can capture Hispanic data is through the ethnic question.
“Trump is ignorant of government, of history, of science, of philosophy, of art, incapable of expressing or recognizing subtlety or nuance, destitute of all decency, and wielding a vocabulary of seventy-seven words that is better called Jerkish than English.” Philip Roth
Old 04-14-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Maybe it's because I do this daily, but I am surprised that you find this weird. You have race and you have ethnic status. You can be white, non Hispanic; white, Hispanic; black, non Hispanic; and black, Hispanic. The only way you can capture Hispanic data is through the ethnic question.
This
Old 04-17-2014, 09:19 AM
Cooper's Law

It's weird because there are literally thousands of ethnicities, and hundreds in the US alone, not two. It's silly because "Not Hispanic or Latino" isn't an ethnicity any more than "Not Irish" is. If you want to ethnically profile one single ethnic group for some reason, logic would say just simply have an entry for "Hispanic or Latino: Y/N". It's also weird because they treat Hispanic and Latino as if they were one single ethnic group, which they're not.* It's also weird because for the racial profiling, under "Race" they don't have W for White and N for Not White. Wonder why? Not.

Not to be redundant, I just dislike nonsensical governmental BS. That's all.

*For any who believe precision is important or worthwhile in this area, here's what Hispanic Houston has to say on the subject:
Quote:
"Many people use Hispanic and Latino as interchangeable words. They’re not. While there is a huge overlap between the two, they don’t mean the same thing and cannot be used as if they do. This is an easy mistake to make, and I do it myself every once in a while (often from laziness), but it’s important to note the differences.

Hispanic refers to language. Latino refers to geography.

Basically, you are Hispanic if you and/or your ancestry come from a country where they speak Spanish. You are Latino if you and/or your ancestry come from a Latin American country.

But wait… isn’t that the same thing? No, dear friend, it’s not.

Hispanic excludes the nearly 200 million Brazilians who, while accurately labelled Latinos, speak Portuguese. They are Latinos, they are not Hispanic.

Hispanic includes the nearly 50 million Spaniards (population of Spain) who could never be called Latinos." [emphasis mine]
http://hispanichouston.com/2013/08/0...the-difference
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 AM

The LA Clippers must be a cash cow. How else can ownership of a NBA franchise by a man who makes racist remarks be explained? Maybe plantation owner syndrome.

The Lakers should send Sterling a thank you note.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:53 AM

What's funny is he's a two time winning of the local NAACP's lifetime achievement award, just for giving away free tickets apparently. Talk about selling out.

Can't believe the NBA has allowed this guy among their ranks for so long, but I guess their options for pushing him out are limited? Just a complete embarrassment.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 PM
The Bulin Wall

My youngest is heading to Colorado State University Fort Collins next Fall. The nest is empty..... Feels weird, but nice.....
Old 04-29-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhebner View Post
My youngest is heading to Colorado State University Fort Collins next Fall. The nest is empty..... Feels weird, but nice.....
I felt abandoned when it happened to me in 2000. Daughter left for school (she never came back for more than 2 weeks at a time) and my parents moved to ATL.

Now, I miss the (relative) solitude. We moved to be closer to my daughter and her baby, maybe a mile away. Had my healthy, self sufficient 82 yo mother in law moved in with us.

Fast forward 8 months. My daughter and family have bought the house RIGHT NEXT DOOR. My mother in law has a recurrence of colon cancer as well as discovering 7 blockages in major arteries in her heart that would have demanded bypass surgery in a younger person; now they need to coordinate those two treatments. She will most likely stop driving so I will get chauffeur duty as well. Two of our cats have became ill and had to be put down within 4 days of each other in the past two weeks.

Enjoy the peaceful times while they last jd.