BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

One idea. If the team has decided the Sergeyev’s future is at LHD, they could flip him for a RHD.

You go into the season with:

Hedman / Sergachev trade
McDonagh/ Cernak
Free agent or Masin / Rutta

At the deadline you upgrade Rutta or Foote, like Cerelli last year, is brought up and put on the second or third line.

Another idea. I think in 250 games (2 years from now), Sergachev is going to be a top 2 or 4 defenseman. With Hedman and McDonagh, there isn’t a short term slot. Hedman's NTC expires in 2022 and you tradehim in a blockbuster for the Stamkos replacement.

I’m like HF for BP.

Last edited by Donnie D; 05-04-2019 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:32 PM
BP Staff

Maybe it's politically easier to move on from Sergachev with Yzerman gone, but they've got a lot of capital invested in that guy from the Drouin deal. It would be difficult for them to swallow their pride and jettison him this quickly.

I'm honestly not expecting any big moves on the blueline, beyond the promotion of Foote and Masin. The scary thing about that, though, is it probably means Sergachev/Ruuta will be a pair again to start the regular season.

Hedman/Foote
McDonagh/Cernak
Sergachev/Ruuta
Masin
Old 05-04-2019, 02:48 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

You wouldnít be jettisoning or dumping him. It would be trading a huge asset for another huge asset such as a Trouba like player.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:17 PM
BP Staff

I don't know how you can afford to take a big contract back in exchange for Sergachev. I also wonder if Sergachev's trade value is as high today as it was last summer.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I don't know how you can afford to take a big contract back in exchange for Sergachev. I also wonder if Sergachev's trade value is as high today as it was last summer.
Just spitballing, but what if it was for someone like Josh Manson (signed for three more years at $4.1 million)? That should be an affordable cost for the bolts.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:04 PM
BP Staff

Is someone like Josh Manson really a demonstrably better option than just promoting Foote?
Old 05-04-2019, 04:22 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

For the next season or two I would say yes. I just think it's kind of risky to head into next season with Foote and Cernak being our top two guys on the right side. Foote would still be in the NHL, just more of a third pairing role/2nd PP unit for next season.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:36 PM
BP Staff

They can always slide Sergachev back to RHD as a stopgap, but frankly if Hedman's the player we all think he is, he should be able to bring along a player like Foote just like McDonagh did for Cernak.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:53 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
... frankly if Hedman's the player we all think he is, he should be able to bring along a player like Foote just like McDonagh did for Cernak.
This...again...and all day long.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:18 AM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

Masin is out of options so I think Coburn, Girardi and Stralman are all gone because otherwise you are either carrying 8 dmen or you are letting Masin go for nothing (assuming no trades).

Personally I am fine with that, the old guys had their chance to get it done and failed, get in some fresh blood and maybe it will make a positive impact.