BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 05-23-2019, 10:40 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutznboltz View Post
Thornton is on the Sharks, who got eliminated last round by the Blues.
Totally my bad... still living in my fantasy world were my brackets had a chance!!!
Old 05-23-2019, 12:02 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Could Callahan go on LTIR and then join the coaching staff? He could, but why would he give up about $3.5 million?
Would Trouba be an option? Doubtful
Are we expecting too much from Sergachev at his age? Yes, see the abuse Hedman took for his first 3 years.
Can Palat find his game? Yes, a summer of recovering from his injuries should permit this to occur
Is Stralman done? Probably with the Lightning.
Have they seen enough of Killorn? No.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Phil Esposito's Fax Machine

Actually Callahan gets his full salary on LTIR and if Lightning go to max on cap it creates a higher cap and clears some cap space. That is why teams would want a player to go on LTIR rather than retire. Examples were Marian Hossa and Nathan Horton. Florida wants Luongo to go that route.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxf9 View Post
Actually Callahan gets his full salary on LTIR and if Lightning go to max on cap it creates a higher cap and clears some cap space. That is why teams would want a player to go on LTIR rather than retire. Examples were Marian Hossa and Nathan Horton. Florida wants Luongo to go that route.
They have to examined by an independent doctor who has to certify that they canít play.
Old 05-23-2019, 04:21 PM

And he obviously can play.. Our chance for that would've been when he busted his shoulder.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:16 AM

Nerd alert!!

I did some research on the LTIR rule. To say it is misunderstood would be an understatement.

First, I was wrong above. The can be placed on the LTIR if the team's physician determines the player is unable to play for a minimum of 24 days and 10 games. The league can challenge that decision in which case the player is examined by a physician selected by the league and union.

A player on the LTIR stays on the cap. However, the team can exceed the cap by, approximately, the amount of the player's cap hit. Why is that important? Because it appears that you still have to account for the player when rosters are established So let's pretend that we want to subvert the cap by putting Callahan on LTIR. (As Hoek accurately stated, he can play). If the cap is $80 million, Callahan's $6 million cap hit is there at the beginning of the season. After rosters are initially established, you place him on LTIR and you could exceed the cap by that amount. So any benefit would not occur until after the rosters are established. It won't help the Lightning with their current cap situation.

Chicago traded Hossa to get cap space that they could use over the summer to put together their team. Phoenix didn't care because they need salary to meet the cap minimum (and they got other players that could help them). The Horton deal was different. Toronto traded Clarkson (an equally bad contract) to Columbus. Columbus got a player instead of an injured player for the same cap hit, and Toronto took on the same cap hit, but had the ability to add players during the season.

Last edited by Donnie D; 05-24-2019 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:32 AM
Chad Schnarr's Twitter Finger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
Nice post.
I am highly interested to see how Sean Kuraly does for the Bruins in the Finals. From what I have seen so far, I would be making a call to Boston this summer.
First star of 2019 Game 1 SCF last night with GWG and an assist.
JBB, make the call. Bostons 4th line has been very good and we should look at this guy. 6-2, 205, grinder, decent hands with some talent.
NHHC Defensive forward of the year.
2013 scored GWG for Miami RedHawks to defeat Mich State in Quarterfinals.
2017 Game 5 vs Senators scored double OT GWG in Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
In 154 NHL games he has taken....6 Penalty Minutes.
This guy has a nose for the net in big games.

Bolts logjam at center? Not my concern. Make space.

I am not looking for the best players Craig, just the right ones. H Brooks
Old 05-28-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
First star of 2019 Game 1 SCF last night with GWG and an assist.
JBB, make the call. Bostons 4th line has been very good and we should look at this guy. 6-2, 205, grinder, decent hands with some talent.
NHHC Defensive forward of the year.
2013 scored GWG for Miami RedHawks to defeat Mich State in Quarterfinals.
2017 Game 5 vs Senators scored double OT GWG in Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
In 154 NHL games he has taken....6 Penalty Minutes.
This guy has a nose for the net in big games.

Bolts logjam at center? Not my concern. Make space.

I am not looking for the best players Craig, just the right ones. H Brooks
Even IF (and stress if here) the Bruins had an ounce of desire to trade a guy under contract for the next season, why would we trade for a 4th line center when you can get them easily on the open market (assuming we want to upgrade there, which good God, I hope that's not our primary concern)?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:22 AM
Chad Schnarr's Twitter Finger

Because of this.
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1755656

...and I am not suggesting any 4th liner. For some reason I like what I see in Kuraly and as the article says, its will vs skill.

We got our asses kicked by Columbus. I will never forget that.
Time for some changes and this guy is one I would bring in.

Who do you suggest? Specifically. Surely not trot out the same group of over/under achievers we had last season.

Anticipating your answer is not, who then?
Old 05-28-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Because of this.
https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1755656

...and I am not suggesting any 4th liner. For some reason I like what I see in Kuraly and as the article says, its will vs skill.

We got our asses kicked by Columbus. I will never forget that.
Time for some changes and this guy is one I would bring in.

Who do you suggest? Specifically. Surely not trot out the same group of over/under achievers we had last season.

Anticipating your answer is not, who then?
Again, your answer is trading picks/whatever for Kuraly to replace Paquette. I don't see a large difference in them, and if you want the change at 4th line, I don't see how trading for him is a large increase over simply signing Boyle/Maroon/insert one of the dozens of other on the market this offseason.

I've given what I WANT to happen. I don't think a 4th line change is needed, I think we need at least one (preferably 2) new in our top 6. I don't see the spot for TJ on this team and would get him dealt (yes, difficult, and yes, doable) for something. Ideally, I'd probably look at the same with Palat. I'm then letting the young, hungry kids battle for those spots up top. Let them add energy up there. I really like the idea of having Thornton come chase a cup with us as well. I then rework our defense. I'd go get EK. If he's truly only concerned with money, so be it and you roll out your youngsters. If not, between the trades of Cally/TJ/one other (Miller doesn't have the NTC, though like I said before, I'd look at Palat), you then have space for him and Point. The coaches then need to decide what we are doing with Sergachev, and where he is going to fit in. If he's not, I think he becomes trade bait for another younger high end forward.

Personally, I'd have given real consideration to Cooper. The way that whole series was treated, I was beyond disgusted.

NOW, what will they do? I'd be shocked if I got any of my wishes. Most likely a slight rework of the 4th line and run young Dmen with Sergachev floating sides.