BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 11-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Steve Ludzik's Leisure Suit Vest

Default Smaby/Craig to Norfolk

Erik Erlendsson reported via twitter that Matt Smaby was sent to Norfolk for conditioning. Meanwhile, his poiint about Craig confused me:

Quote:
#TBLightning give Ryan Craig 3-game tryout, send him back to @NorfolkAdmirals;
Does this mean Craig is on waivers? Or does he get around waivers because it was only a 3 game tryout?
Old 11-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Well that sucks, I was enjoying Craig's play (what little we saw of it).
Old 11-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Well that sucks, I was enjoying Craig's play (what little we saw of it).
I thought the crash line of Konopka, Veilleux, and Craig was fairly effective of hogging the puck in the offensive zone and creating a couple of chances. That allowed Downie to play "up" with Halpern and Wright -- a line that seemed to get Halpern going offensively better than any line thus far in the season.

But I haven't been wow'd by Craig.

Not to jack the thread, but I would like to comment how IMPRESSED I am with Steve Downie after 16-18 games. Few players take the kind of abuse this kids gets just about every shift. He battles hard in the corners and usually wins the puck, all while enduring jabs and shots to the head and face while battling. He's a great stickhandler, especially in traffic, and makes great passes. If I was putting a team together, I'm taking Steve Downie.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

Maybe they are sending Smaby down in hopes he gets another injury so they will have another excuse for not playing him!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

How long can this go on? Send him down for a 10 game conditioning bring him back up for a week, send him down for 10 game conditioning "rinse and repeat"... is this away of sending him down without "sending him down"???

- sadly, I'm only 1/2 joking...
Old 11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
WaiverWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I thought the crash line of Konopka, Veilleux, and Craig was fairly effective of hogging the puck in the offensive zone and creating a couple of chances. That allowed Downie to play "up" with Halpern and Wright -- a line that seemed to get Halpern going offensively better than any line thus far in the season.

But I haven't been wow'd by Craig.

Not to jack the thread, but I would like to comment how IMPRESSED I am with Steve Downie after 16-18 games. Few players take the kind of abuse this kids gets just about every shift. He battles hard in the corners and usually wins the puck, all while enduring jabs and shots to the head and face while battling. He's a great stickhandler, especially in traffic, and makes great passes. If I was putting a team together, I'm taking Steve Downie.
In Saturday's game Downie drew a penalty and while the player sat in the box Steve kept waving to him from the end of the bench. I could not stop laughing.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Also, at the end of the game, I saw Tocchet motioning/telling a player to 'drop it, come on'. I think it was to Downie, who was having a chat with an LA player(s).

Downie's control and his hard work on the ice has been great.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester47 View Post
How long can this go on? Send him down for a 10 game conditioning bring him back up for a week, send him down for 10 game conditioning "rinse and repeat"... is this away of sending him down without "sending him down"???

- sadly, I'm only 1/2 joking...
The 10-day conditioning stint allows the team to bypass waivers. However, if he plays in an NHL game, he's probably not eligible for the conditioning stint. Seems this is going to be Smaby's cycle until Lawton is able to move Krajicek.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Cooper's Law

According to EE, directly answering John F with RawCharge, Craig doesn't have to pass through waivers to head back to Norfolk as he's within the 30-day window of passing through waivers coming up.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Better to keep him playing...it's better than nothing.

Speaking of Tocchet, when the ref was explaining the call to him at the end of OT, I saw a very clear "are you f*cking serious?!"