BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Smith: I liked what I saw. Big and confident. I don't see much to fault him on the 3 goals-against. If the team gave him better support, those likely wouldn't have gone in.

Halpern: Better than I expected. He was faster and smarter than I recalled. Showed a willingness to get to the ugly areas to find the puck. Impressed.

Jokinen: Nice speed. Didn't seem too out of place with Vinny and Marty, althought the way they are playing, that may not take much. Liked his focus on getting the puck on net or in front of the net. I think he's better than a 3rd-liner on this team.

Picard: Surprise of the night. Played well both sides of the ice. Big hit was great. Had good positioning. Good to see him pinch in when the opportunity presented itself.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Not used to seeing one of our goalies handle the puck like that, but I like it. He tried to get stuff going. From the looks of things, our D isn't used to that. I hope they don't coach it out of him. :frusty:
i think people forget how grahame used to handle the puck, and how khabi never left his net 'til he came here. it's what reese WANTS the goalies to do, smith isn't going to be told to stop handling the puck.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
How is this team's power play ranked 12th
It's not the same PP. You take the double-shifting QB off of it and you have new players bring the puck up the ice and you know, doing the quarterbacking.

The PP will suffer for a while.

At the end they had Marty back on the point... may be something to consider, although he will miss is spot from the impossible angle to the goalie's left.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Chris Gratton's Ruby Slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
...although he will miss his spot from the impossible angle to the goalie's left.
That hasn't been working for him much lately anyway.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:53 AM
BP Staff

I liked:

Smith playing riverboat gambler and the fact it's obvious he's well-trained in positioning and his approach to shooters.

Jokinen showed good creativity and dished and went to the front of the net.

Picard wasn't shy about hitting.

And not to play the role of pessimist, but instead coming from someone who's seen what's happened to newbies in the past (forgive me if this has been mentioned)...

I fully expect all, of not most of these things to be undone in the near future.

As Hoek pointed out, physical dmen get neutered, and we know that players in this system are more concerned about cycling than going to the front of the net, and I'm scared to death of Reese working with Smith. We need to steal Dallas' goalie or development coach.

I'm not "Likes to yell 'Hit Someone!' guy" - but it's highly discouraging that we have young dmen on this team that are being asked not to do what comes naturally for them.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:54 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
That hasn't been working for him much lately anyway.
Exactly. It's a great PK tactic for the other team though. 9/10 times that shot misses to the right and flies around the boards back to Holmqvist/Ramo.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeminus View Post
Do you have any good excuses for Lecavalier and St. Louis? What's Vinny got, something like 4 goals in his last 20 games? Remember when this was the "best line in hockey"? Our best players have folded up and called it a season.
Yup. Vinny has little effort left outside of the hashmarks in the offensive zone.

Now that this is a one-line team (for real now), he's going to have to change the way he plays. Especially if he wants - or is deserving - of the C next year.

Speaking of change...

This is a good opportunity to change the entire system. Go back to a simplified get it in-get it out style that's somewhere between a strong defensive system and what Torts wants to do.

I'd rather win games 3-2 than 1-0 or 6-5. Or... just win.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:02 PM
Chainsaw Charlie

Best for them to go back to the frorechecking system,get it in deep and fore check the hell out of them. dump it in and FOR GODS sake go get it.
it is when the they pressure all over the ice,that they are their best.
Play with some Heart & Hard

Do it on 4 lines,let the D pitch when they can,Tell Smitty get ready man,brougth you here to be a goalie,now we going to find out if you are #1 or just another pile of #2.

If Vinny is Hurt( I think he is,had been since he took puck off the foot) Sit him,Maybe sit him just to get his head on right.

Do something to break this team out of the funk.

Break Up the pairing of Ranger and Boyle,IT IS NOT WORKING:frusty:
Old 02-28-2008, 02:12 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Best for them to go back to the frorechecking system,get it in deep and fore check the hell out of them. dump it in and FOR GODS sake go get it.
You can't do that anymore, which has been/was the problem. Now that the opposition can do 2-line passes the red line is eliminated as your 3rd defenseman. So you have to pull 1-2 of your dmen back from that system which opens up space between the forecheckers and dmen for outlet passes.

They tried staggering the forecheck for a while, but it was relatively easy to get through.

The old forechecking system is dead - or should be.

If you stop and look around and you're the only one doing it... maybe it's not such a good thing.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:15 PM
BP Staff

Quote:

Break Up the pairing of Ranger and Boyle,IT IS NOT WORKING:frusty:
Or better yet.... play Ranger a sensible amount of minutes so he can keep his focus... and reel in Boyle a little more so Ranger's not stuck on an island every shift.

Boyle isn't a dman anymore. He's a rover. He's everywhere. If Scott Stevens was back there he'd have a problem reading and covering for Boyle.

You take the good with the bad with Boyle I guess.

I don't care if we're paying him a zillion dollars, there has to be some discipline in his play.