BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-14-2019, 03:52 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

No big loss, was never that impressed.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:00 PM
BP Staff

I think Steve will make out better with Erne than he did with Ritola here.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

So we lost erne and cally now. Who do we have to throw a body check other than paquette?
Old 08-14-2019, 05:15 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

My biggest concerns are that we continue to get smaller...the way we got smothered by Columbus will, again, be a huge concern in the back of my mind come the second season...

We can kick all the ass we want during regular season, but if we get stuffed again in the playoffs, that migraine we got gifted will bring back terrible memories...

I will keep an open mind, but I'm still not seeing the change in philosophy I was hoping for...albeit, they do have limits on what they can do...but what about moving some young prospects for some other prospects with size and grit that may be on the cusp of making a jump to the NHL and could be ready later in the season...seems like we are lopsided with smaller finesse guys and need an infusion of a different type of player...

What am I missing?
Old 08-14-2019, 06:13 PM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Erne doesn't move the needle either way as far as our chances in the playoffs. Pavelski was the best chance at that and we let it pass. They can pick up a rental guy for cheap at the deadline who can do as much or more than Erne would.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:26 PM
BP Staff

My 2 cents: after failing to land Pavelski, Young Breezy decided to double down on the concept of being the strongest team from the back end out. You have the Vezina winner. You'll have a healthy Hedman, hopefully, for the next playoffs. And, you've potentially upgraded a lot if Shattenkirk returns to anything like his St. Louis form, and they were arguably already the deepest team in the league on D before the injury bug ravaged the team down the stretch.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

I just wonder (and have said before) if we have the type of team that can win the Cup with the style of play that is the playoffs...with the different officiating and the more physical play.

I wonder if the philosophy of the smaller type players is sort of like fool's gold at least in the playoffs. It seems like we need more of a mix, or at least a 3rd/4th line that can contribute in a different way.

Also, it seems that we rely a ton on PP scoring, which gets tamped down by the lack of calls in the playoffs.

I just have to hope that JBB sees the need for this stuff come the deadline, yet I wonder if it's more of a organizational philosophy change that will take time to correct, and hopefully we are still a playoff team when that comes to fruition.

I am encouraged by Shattenkirk...but not sure that puts us over the top for sure...
Old 08-14-2019, 08:13 PM
Cooper's Law

Erne signed for 1 year at $1.05M with Detroit. Seems pretty evident with that contract the issue wasn't money or term.

Assuming that Jospeh is playing in the top 9, it seems that the only spots up for competition are on the 4th line with Paquette. It seems likely that Martel and Verhaeghe will make the roster. So that leaves one spot up for grabs. I can't see Barre-Boulet or Volkov making the roster to play on the 4th line. Stephens could, but I imagine that they would like to see another half season of him in the AHL.

If you go the free agent route to add another forward, the three that stand out to me are Maroon, Boyle, and Brouwer. All three have substantial playoff experience, bring size and physicality, and could likely be had on cheap-ish one year contracts that won't mess with the cap crunch after next season.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:23 PM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

What would that 1.05 mil equal in Florida Salary?

950 thousand?

Like you stated, term and cost do not appear to be the issue. Not totally seeing the big picture here...

Maybe it is to open competition. Maybe they have something else in mind.

Also, how much is Point going to command?

Last edited by Kizman; 08-15-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:48 PM
BP Staff

It also may just be that they evaluated their organizational depth decided they'd rather give that spot to Verhaeghe or Volkov.

I'll say this, especially, for a guy who has had back to back 20 goal seasons in the AHL and was one of the last cuts from camp last year, Volkov logically should be a guy they're looking to get into the big club.