BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 06-28-2014, 02:18 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
You do know that Smith can't skate worth a damn, right? Let's not pick Smith at #57, ok?
Well Bob McKenzie had him in the early 50's in his rankings and I seen him play enough this year to think the reward outweighs the risk on him. His skating was never that bad for his size when I seen him play.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:31 AM
The Clymer-Olvestad Experiment

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Despite popular opinion it isn't like Yzerman has given us a ton to be faithful about in our 1st round picks.
This.
DeAngelo pick is a serious disappointment for me.
The fact that he doesn't play his position well, and was coached by Andy Delmore doesn't mean you should walk away from him. It means you should run.

Reaching on a more skilled Barberio type with character issues doesn't impress me at all. Koekkoek was a reach, and has now had 3 shoulder surgeries before turning 21, and we're all still waiting for Connolly to pan out. That's serious reaches on half of your #1s, right there. Wasn't the MO on Connolly and Koekkoek that they had all world talent but enough red flags to drop them down a lot of draft boards? Yeah, cause that's what is being said about DeAngelo. You gotta be able to get value in the first round beyond a gift-wrapped top three pick. Caveat: Vasi and Namesy have the opportunity to make all of that moot, but like Connolly, they have yet to, so we are still talking potential.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:30 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goboltz56 View Post
You were unhappy with Drouin and Vasilevski?
Only an idiot wouldn't have selected Drouin/Jones at #3. It was hard to screw that pick up. The fact he is drafting for "need" this draft instead of BPA should tell you my stance on the Drouin pick. Just hope Drouin proves him right next year because Jones looks to be deserving of the hype. A Jones pick could have meant Fabbri/Scherbak+Barbashev this year. If Drouin puts up obscene #'s it will have been worth it.

He struck gold with Vasilevski, but the value of goaltending in the draft is not where it use to be. Both he and Koekkoek were need picks. At the time, I thought he reached big on Vasilevski as he was slotted with Subban and Dank(sp) as early second round picks.

I'm not in favor of reaching for prospects to fill needs but I guess it is something we are going to have to get use to.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:38 AM

Well if you listen to the Lightning folks, they don't feel that they have a need to draft prospects at defense. They will point to the young defense in their system as: Hedman, Gudas, Sustr, Koekkoek & Blujus. So I don't think they feel that they drafted for need. The took a big swing on DeAngelo who is listed as the best offensive d-man in the draft.

By the way, Connolly wasn't really an Yzerman draft pick. Yes he was the general manager, but the draft was conducted by the hold overs. Yzerman didn't have his draft team in place until the following year. So I also don't give Yzerman credit for Gudas either.

Last edited by Donnie D; 06-28-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Brian Bradley's Pimp Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Only an idiot wouldn't have selected Drouin/Jones at #3. It was hard to screw that pick up. The fact he is drafting for "need" this draft instead of BPA should tell you my stance on the Drouin pick. Just hope Drouin proves him right next year because Jones looks to be deserving of the hype. A Jones pick could have meant Fabbri/Scherbak+Barbashev this year. If Drouin puts up obscene #'s it will have been worth it.

He struck gold with Vasilevski, but the value of goaltending in the draft is not where it use to be. Both he and Koekkoek were need picks. At the time, I thought he reached big on Vasilevski as he was slotted with Subban and Dank(sp) as early second round picks.

I'm not in favor of reaching for prospects to fill needs but I guess it is something we are going to have to get use to.
Let me guess ... Yzerman traded your favorite player and now you feel the need to bash his draft? Yzerman has brought in talent every year starting in 2011 and right now those players are starting to come into their Pro careers. Half the players from that draft have already played on a Lightning squad that made the playoffs last year. Two of them are still playing in the NCAA and have bright futures (Peca / Wilcox) ... jury still out on Nesterov and he is only 21 yrs old and signed for 2 more years still.

Just because you think they drafted for need doesnt make it so. All signs point to DeAngelo being top 10 to 15 talent (we got him at 19) and dropped because of maturity concerns. Masin is projected to be a #2 shutdown defender plays first line on Czech Jr Team that won Silver this year. McLeod was ranked number 44 prospect and we got him at 57. Next is a smallish C who has first round talent and dropped because of size concerns (TJ / St. Louis anyone?)...he was ranked #31 and we got him at #79. This was an extremely solid draft and he did not reach at all on his first 4 draft picks.

Not sure what your agenda is...but Yzerman & Team has been nothing but a godsend to this organization.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:37 AM
Steve Downie's Kisses

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Murray talks yesterday about picking BPA, and DeAngelo might have been BPA (minus the character concerns).

But Yzerman's interview was all about picking for need -- he specifically said pick was to shore up the defensive pipeline. Must be concerned somewhat about Koekkoek's shoulders
What I don't understand is leading up to the draft they said the opposite re. defenseman. Here is a quote from the Bolts website draft preview article.

LIGHTNING NEEDS

After its past campaign came to a close, it was evident that Tampa Bay still has work to do when it comes to defense. Yet Murray said that does not mean they will necessarily be looking for blueliners at the draft this weekend.

People keep telling me we need defensemen, Murray said. Im looking at all the young defensemen we have and Im not necessarily agreeing with that.

With Victor Hedman, who is turning just 24 this year, continuing to move toward the upper echelon of defensemen and with a number of young blueliners on the Bolts getting their first NHL season under their belts, Murray feels the Lightning do not need blueliners at the prospect level.

We need veteran defensemen, Murray said. We think we have a lot of good young prospects on defense and it's not what we perceive as a major organizational need.

In addition to the Lightnings young blueliners, three Bolts prospects - Luke Witkowksi, Nikita Nesterov and Artem Sergev went pro in 2013-14 with AHL affiliate the Syracuse Crunch. Dylan Blujus, Jake Dotchin and Slater Koekkoek are also expected to go pro this coming year.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=723991
Old 06-29-2014, 11:51 AM
The Clymer-Olvestad Experiment

I'd take anything I heard from the front office about personnel with a grain of salt. That counts double for the run-up to a draft.

They can say whatever they want, but their actions are what tells the truth.
Old 06-29-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
Let me guess ... Yzerman traded your favorite player and now you feel the need to bash his draft? Yzerman has brought in talent every year starting in 2011 and right now those players are starting to come into their Pro careers. Half the players from that draft have already played on a Lightning squad that made the playoffs last year. Two of them are still playing in the NCAA and have bright futures (Peca / Wilcox) ... jury still out on Nesterov and he is only 21 yrs old and signed for 2 more years still.

Just because you think they drafted for need doesnt make it so. All signs point to DeAngelo being top 10 to 15 talent (we got him at 19) and dropped because of maturity concerns. Masin is projected to be a #2 shutdown defender plays first line on Czech Jr Team that won Silver this year. McLeod was ranked number 44 prospect and we got him at 57. Next is a smallish C who has first round talent and dropped because of size concerns (TJ / St. Louis anyone?)...he was ranked #31 and we got him at #79. This was an extremely solid draft and he did not reach at all on his first 4 draft picks.

Not sure what your agenda is...but Yzerman & Team has been nothing but a godsend to this organization.
Your really getting defensive over Yzerman for no reason. I'm not hating on him, but if your being objective I think its fair to be skeptical over the risky first round picks which have been Yzerman's hallmark.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
Just because you think they drafted for need doesnt make it so.
Have you seen his post draft interview?
Old 06-29-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uf1910 View Post
What I don't understand is leading up to the draft they said the opposite re. defenseman.
Proof once again that they drafted what they felt was the best player available and they just happened to be defensemen. If they were drafting for need, Jones would be in the pipeline rather than Drouin and they would not have failed to draft a defenseman last year.