BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 PM
BP Staff

I worry about this team becoming one of those elitely mediocre franchises like Washington and San Jose have been over the past decade. There's a certain staleness on this roster and this coaching staff that needs to be critically examined. I'm not saying that because they're poor players or poor coaches. I'm saying that because the chemistry of this group isn't quite good enough to earn the validation of winning Stanley Cup(s), plural, which is what the goal should be. Guys like Tyler Johnson and Alex Killorn and the like should not be safe with some of the quality youth coming up in this organization. Even Jon Cooper deserves to have some hard questions asked of him when I feel you have a very high quality coach like Ben Groulx sitting in Syracuse (presuming BriseBois doesn't leave soon and take Ben with him).

Steve Yzerman shouldn't be afraid to get a little ruthless this offseason.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:00 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat664422 View Post
I thought we dominated the game after Washington scored up until they scored their third. They are good at defense, can skate and have size. It's not easy to beat that.
They did. The effort tonight wins 8 or 9 times out of 10. Hockey's a cruel bitch sometimes and the breaks don't go your way. You invite losing the series by virtue of that buzzard's luck by peeing it down the leg with flat performances in G1, G2, and G6. You can't spot the other team wins at this time of year when every team is so good and every win means so much.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:28 PM
Captain Poke Check

The Lightning went 139:27 without scoring a goal. That level of failure is not acceptable at all. This team had 2 chances to close out a team and play for a cup and scored 0 goals in the process. Someone is going to pay for this level of ineptitude and disinterested play both now and during the season. I think the following will happen.

1) Bowness is gone. A coach is going to pay and while I think Coop bears a lot of responsibility for this team maddeningly not being prepared too many times in season and the last two games he is probably safe but kindling is being placed under his seat.

2) At least three and probably more of the following Dmen are gone. Stralman, Guardi, Coburn, Sustr, Dotchin and Koekkoek.

3) Something must be done about Kucherov. He had 20 goals as of 12/9 and was on the way to a special season and then disappeared. He only got 19 goals and mostly disinterested play the remaining 4 months. Either fix what was bothering him or move him while he still has value.

4) The offense is too small and cannot play against bigger physical teams without wearing down. A mixture of Callahan, Johnson, Kilorn, Kunitz, Miller, Paquette and Gourde will have to be bought out, traded or not resigned to make way for bigger more physical players.

5) And lastly about Stamkos, he is showing to be too fragile and a shrinking violet in big games. While we all know he isn't going anywhere we may need to seriously look at getting another center that can push Stamkos to the 2nd line.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:34 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Stamkos as captain reminds me a lot of when Mike Modano was a captain here in Dallas. Plenty of talent and production, but it wasn’t in his nature to be a big charismatic leader. The Stars ended up demoting him back to an A after two really pathetic playoff losses. I don’t know who would be a suitable replacement for Stammer as captain, though.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:41 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

We are all frustrated, but some of the comments are just crazy talk.

Stamkos had the same number of goals as OV in this series. He was our leading scorer.

You aren’t trading Killorn. For the 1,000,000 time, he has a no trade clause. TJ just signed a 6 year deal with a NTC that starts on July 1.

Cooper isn’t going anywhere. He’s taken this team to the conference finals 3 out of the last 4 years. The team outplayed Washington tonight. The effort was fantastic. They just didn’t get any puck luck. 2 games ago he was a genius for matching up the 4th line on OV. Lose 2 games and some are ready to jettison him. Maybe Bowness does go, but I don’t think so. The PK wasn’t the problem this series. Everyone wanted Jean fired several years ago. I guess Bishop and Vasilevskiy made him a lot smarter.

Only 1 team wins a cup. If all teams were even, that’s 3 cups every century. A Stanley Cup finals once every 15 years.

It’s too soon and I’m too disappointed to come up with an off season game plan prediction, but I’ll say that most of the improvement is going to be internal. Vasilevskiy just went through his rookie season as a number 1. You would think he’s going to learn to learn to adjust to the work load. Yzerman getting a more capable backup has to be part of the plan.

You have to think Sergachev will get better. Coburn’s NTC ends on June 30. Hes probably gone. Cirelli is going to put on some weight and get stronger. Point went through his first playoffs. There is a lot of internal growth, not even mentioning the young talent in Syracuse.

A bitter end, but I’m looking forward to prospect camp in early July and next season.

Last edited by Donnie D; 05-23-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:54 PM

Trade em all. G'night
Old 05-24-2018, 03:10 AM
Franz Jean's Goalie School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post

Stamkos had the same number of goals as OV in this series. He was our leading scorer.

season.
Ovechkin also seemingly willed his team forward. Not all goals are created equal.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:20 AM

Did you question Stamko’s heart after the Boston series?

There were 2 teams out there. It wasn’t that the lightning didn’t try or choked, or that Stamkos lacks character, it was that the other team was just better. Instead of tearing down the Lightning, try giving Washington credit for being the better team.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:47 AM

All of Stamkos' goals were on the PP. We needed even strength goals from somebody.
Old 05-24-2018, 05:56 AM
Captain Poke Check

To me it's crazy talk to think this team is fine and coaching isn't a problem and the only thing this team needs is rest and maybe some minor changes around the edges and strength training in the summer. Plus, the experience and learning from this year will lead to better things next. Haven't we said that before. Remember the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Too many times this season this team came out flat in games. I am not talking about just the last two game but the last 5 months. How many times did we hear don't worry once the playoffs start we can flip the switch and play better. How often did we hear you can't maintain that level of play throughout the season. Well Vegas didn't seem to have a problem maintaining their level of play. Boston and Washington didn't have problems maintaining their level of play. This team won the east by a super strong October-December. The rest of the year they disappeared. They played games but let the rest of the league catch back up. Don't forget in December it looked liked historic team numbers but by mid March we were wondering if this team wasn't going to fall to third in the division.

There must be some accountability for January-May. We beat the Devils because we flat out are better. Boston lost because in the end they had no answer for the Point line and no secondary scoring. Washington well the last two games showed us what happens when we play a team as talented, better prepared and more physical than us. 139 minutes of scoreless hockey. Someone and not just a Coburn or Sustr or Budaj (two healthy scratches and a third pair Dman in the playoffs) will need to pay the price for the last few months. Their will be a scapegoat and it best not be well these are all the secret injuries we were playing through. Then get bigger healthier players that can handle the physical grind of the playoffs.