BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 05-25-2018, 10:00 PM
Cooper's Law

Johnson, with his NTC not yet in place, seems an obvious trade piece. Killorn, for all of the reasons stated above, and Coburn, because our depth at LHD and because he's still useful and relatively inexpensive, make a lot of sense too.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:13 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I know they are pretty much after thoughts but I wonder what the plans are for Koekkoek and Dotchin.

I also wonder if Yzerman is Turkish enough to trade TJ before his long term contract kicks in.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:51 PM
Brian Bradley's Pimp Blazer

So, for most of the folks on this site, ONLY Lightning winning The Stanley Cup would be acceptable and complaints about almost everyone on the big club except Point, Vasilevskiy and Vinik! Not sure everyone realizes how hard it is to win The Stanley Cup. Just be glad your team was one of the final four teams and hope the moves in the offseason and stars align next year to make another run. As an STM for all 25 years thought team made tremendous progress. For the most part, extremely entertaining and competitive. Yes, the last 2 games against Washington left a bad taste in everyone’s mouth, but what about beating Boston in 4 straight after opening loss at home. Many picked Boston to win it all. Washington has struggled for years in playoffs, but stayed the course and are in the finals. Reportedly Trotz job on line until they beat the Lightning. Expect some tweeks next year but it won’t be Cooper leaving or trading a core player. Do not feel Cooper and staff really that stubborn. Point, Cirelli and Sergachev good examples of getting their ice time and being allowed to grow. I’m all for building from within especially with the talent at Syracuse and in juniors. Do Lightning have deficiencies....absolutely. If they could only sustain that effort and play early in season on that West Coast trip! Team D and reducing SOG needs to improve, PK has to improve, and D corp upgraded. Is this coming year Cal Foote breaks in? Does Joseph, Stephens or Volkov move up? Yzerman really has little to do in offseason regarding contracts. Don’t expect any major moves. IMO Kucherov is simply immature and has probably had too much success. Suspect he was disappointed in not winning scoring title. Think he will mature and will not be traded. This year Point was the best forward. Unfortunately Stamkos’ best years are behind him. Salary cap will continue to grow and feel Lightning in relatively good position. Ultimately, sports are all about entertainment and Lightning fulfilled their obligation. GO BOLTS!!
Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 PM
XO Sniper

Who's going to step up and lock themselves into 6 years with undersized Johnson, who's only produced slightly better than Killorn the last two years?

(crickets)

I think if we keep Johnson as a third line RW with Cirelli, that's the start of a fast third line with two guys who can take faceoffs. If Volkov picks up where he ended last year, he can be 3rd line LW and push Killorn down to 4th, replacing the slower Kunitz.

If TJ and Killer hadn't had unimpressive regular seasons to go with the NTC and long term deals, I'd have a prayer we could trade one or both in the next two years. But I don't understand where the appeal is for other GMs.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:12 PM
XO Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
If we didn't have a flotilla of more athletic young players who can probably do what he does better than he does it, I might not be so insistent. But, then I remember we have guys like Erne, Volkov, Stephens, and Joseph and a certifiable bad man like Boris Katchouk on the way. It's time to cut some of the dead weight and get some of this new blood into Tampa.
I agree, but I would think only Erne and Volkov are really ready. Volkov looked good in last year's preseason, finished strong this year and is 22 now? Erne would seem like a good Kunitz replacement but has been injured a lot in the last three years already. Stephens and Joseph only have 1 AHL season (Yzerman's general rule seems to be two good seasons down there) and Katchouk has none.

Could Peca replace Paquette as the fourth line center? He's tiny, but I thought he had improved on faceoffs a lot and would have to bring more skill to the line than Paquette.

I don't see the appeal of Killer or TJ with their contracts, cap hits and recent performances to other GMs, and I don't see Yzerman doing another Garrison-type deal to get rid of them, so that wouldn't seem to leave many spots for new blood either.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:31 PM

I think there will be plenty of suitors for Johnson, his contract is good value for his production
Old 05-26-2018, 06:06 AM

Yeah any team with a lack of immediate forward depth would do well to grab him, IMO, and there are plenty of those. We just have the fortune to be a bit pickier.

Both he and Killorn have way more value than Filppula and we managed to trade him.

Last edited by Hoek; 05-26-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:53 AM
Tim Taylor's WrapAround

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I think Killorn's one of the worst skaters on the team, hasn't had a 20 goal season in his life and looks like he never will, and has adopted a nasty habit of playing way softer half the time than a player his size with his other liabilities should be allowed to get away with. Want to know why the PK sucked all regular season? Because the coaching staff has the philosophy of playing a passive PK based on blocking shots rather than closing out shooters and overplays guys like Callahan and Girardi who athletically can't close guys out anymore, but they are good at getting in shooting lanes. But, then there's Killorn: who sucks at both. Lacks the speed and stop-start agility to close out shooters AND that same athletic problem also makes in hard for him to block shots.

If we didn't have a flotilla of more athletic young players who can probably do what he does better than he does it, I might not be so insistent. But, then I remember we have guys like Erne, Volkov, Stephens, and Joseph and a certifiable bad man like Boris Katchouk on the way. It's time to cut some of the dead weight and get some of this new blood into Tampa.
It’s interesting that guys like Point, Gourde, Johnson, and Palat either had PK time reduced or taken off completely and the PK started to improve. Those guys have speed but could not get the puck out of the zone. Cooper was going with mostly two units by the final 4 games and they only gave up 1 goal in like 11 kills. PK was one of the reasons they got this series to a Game 7 with their Game 3 and 4 efforts. Again, if the top 6 does not go ice cold and vanish, we’d be discussing the next series now.

Last edited by Nick of Time; 05-26-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:32 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Yeah any team with a lack of immediate forward depth would do well to grab him, IMO, and there are plenty of those. We just have the fortune to be a bit pickier.

Both he and Killorn have way more value than Filppula and we managed to trade him.
We beat a team in the 1st round who'd do well to get a guy like TJ.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 05-27-2018, 10:10 AM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

I’d prefer to see him go out west, Vancouver maybe..