BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 10-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Default Final Roster Cuts

Have to be down to 23 by Tuesday, but I guess we'll see the final cuts after the final preseason game against the Panthers.

How do you cut Kucherov? Leading the pre-season league in goals (5)
How do you cut Namestnikov? Leading the pre-season league in assists (7)

Here's the scenario in which they both make the final roster cut: Drouin to IR and then 1 of Barberio, Sustr, or Pacquette has to be demoted. See below:

IR (2): Ohlund, Drouin

Goalies (2): Bishop, Nabokov

Defense (6): Brewer, Carle, Stralman, Hedman, Garrison, Gudas

Forwards (13): Morrow, Filppula, Callahan, Stamkos, Boyle, Killorn, Johnson, Palat, Connolly, Panik, Brown, Kucherov, Namestnikov

Bubble --> Keep 2 of 3: Barberio, Sustr, Paquette

IMO, Barberio is the odd man out. Pacquette has earned a roster spot and plays a needed role. Sustr is IMO a better 7th as he can fill in various roles better with guys getting nicked and dinged up than Barberio. Barberio might not pass waivers. Pacquette gets a free pass. Cooper may want to keep 8D on the roster, and so in order for both Kucherov and Namestnikov to remain, you'd have to cut Pacquette. Things to think about.

Of course, when Drouin is healed, you have another roster decision to make, but at least you can delay that by sending Druoin to Syracuse for a few games of conditioning assignment. That at least gives you half a dozen NHL games to see which forward you need to move/reassign.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

I don't think Namestnikov makes it even though he deserves too. The bolts showed last year that the pre season performance isn't all they factor in because Connolly should of made it last season if we were judging on pre season success by itself. I do think Namestnikov and Marchessault have made the hot seats under Panik and Connolly a little hotter though. Those two are going to have to perform to keep their spots or really one or both could be gone within a couple months.

I agree that Barberio could be traded/waived. With Stefan Elliot clearing waivers the other day I wouldn't be surprised to see Barberio clear.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

It would be much easier to send those down that do not have to clear waivers until you can trade a player for pick(s)/non roster player(s).

When does Syracuse get back? That is when we see the demotions.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

For when Drouin comes back, keep Namestnikov. I'd rather play Kucherov and Vladdy than Panik and Brown honestly. Keep Sustr also. Drouin isn't getting sent to Syracuse. Obviously send down Barberio, and Paquette when Drouin returns, even though he could be back in time for the home opener unless it was reported otherwise.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:29 PM
Cooper's Law

It was reported Drouin is out three weeks, missing the opener; and Yzerman has indicated being open to sending Drouin to SYR for conditioning, which makes total sense before dropping him cold into the NHL fresh off a hand injury
Old 10-03-2014, 03:29 PM
Brian Bradley's Pimp Blazer

I'm leaning towards sending both Kucherov, Namestnkov, Sustr, Paquette down to the AHL. For them to go win the AHL title for scoring, goals, a championship and All-Star berth. Call-up as needed. Don't think they make the difference between a playoff and non-playoff team. We'll go to the playoffs regardless. Next year we have roster spots namely in decision time for all the players on one year contracts - Connolly/Panik/Barberio.

With regards to Drouin...he hasn't played in pre-season games and hasn't shot the puck or been out there with the rest of the team almost all training camp. Definetely give him the AHL games to get a few PRO games before bringing him up. It makes total sense since they play the same system in Syracuse as TBL.

Sending these guys down makes it a great transition for the next crop of graduating players to AHL - Erne/DeAngelo/Peca/Wilcox, Hart, O'Donnel, not sure if Masin and Point but you get the idea on a nice transition while players like Koekkoek, Blujus, Guds, Kunyk, Ikonen, etc are still marinating.

I think its overall healthier for the organization to keep them down and continue the winning environment they cultivated several years ago. If Kuch and Names don't go down - we have players subject to waivers, Syracuse suffers in the scoring department, and our overall organizational depth goes down.

No doubt they deserve to be in the NHL and are NHL ready...TBL would be better with them THIS YEAR. But one more year in the AHL and seeing what Connolly and Panik can do with increased responsibility.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:34 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Is Drouin AHL eligible? Seems it is NHL or a wasted year in juniors.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:43 PM
Brian Bradley's Pimp Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
Is Drouin AHL eligible? Seems it is NHL or a wasted year in juniors.
He can go down on a short rehab stint only since he'll be on the NHL roster. He cannot be left off the roster and straight play in the AHL this year because of age.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek28 View Post
With Stefan Elliot clearing waivers the other day I wouldn't be surprised to see Barberio clear.
Good point
Old 10-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
I'm leaning towards sending both Kucherov, Namestnkov, Sustr, Paquette down to the AHL.
You can't send all these guys down. You have to field a 23 man NHL roster. Go do the math.