BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 03-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
In the playoffs, 3rd pairing will see very low TOI.
Would not be surprised to see more of a 11/7 during the play offs.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:35 PM
Cooper's Law

Default 11/7

I understand that but think you need that 4th line to give your top lines a better rest.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:39 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Girardi and Hedman were both a minus 2. In top pair minutes last year, he was like the 3rd worst dman in the NHL. Him matched up against Malkin or even Mathews scares the hell out of me.
And it should scare the brown runny out of any Lightning fan the more they think on it.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Girardi and Hedman were both a minus 2. In top pair minutes last year, he was like the 3rd worst dman in the NHL. Him matched up against Malkin or even Mathews scares the hell out of me.
His advanced statistics last year have been well reported. Judging him for what he's done this year though, are we going to say he hasn't been worthy of a top 4 spot on the team? Or looking at it in a different angle, if he's paired with Heddy, is he not at least an upgrade on Dotchin?

There was this video circulating around of all of the awful decision making and plays he made after we signed him. It was awful. I haven't seen any of that this year, he's a completely different defender and I think in 5v5 he'll prove himself worthy enough.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
His advanced statistics last year have been well reported. Judging him for what he's done this year though, are we going to say he hasn't been worthy of a top 4 spot on the team? Or looking at it in a different angle, if he's paired with Heddy, is he not at least an upgrade on Dotchin?

There was this video circulating around of all of the awful decision making and plays he made after we signed him. It was awful. I haven't seen any of that this year, he's a completely different defender and I think in 5v5 he'll prove himself worthy enough.
Honestly no. When he has gotten more minutes against other teams top lines, he has been much worse than at the start of the year when we completely sheltered him and coburn. And it's worth pointing out he actually has more offensive starts than defensive this year, meaning that as a defensive defenseman, he isn't earning a whole lot of trust in his own zone. To answer your question, I doubt he is an upgrade over dotchin even with how he has played. But this whole discussion is why I don't think we are saved with mcdonagh, and why I laugh at that Joe Smith article.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Honestly no. When he has gotten more minutes against other teams top lines, he has been much worse than at the start of the year when we completely sheltered him and coburn. And it's worth pointing out he actually has more offensive starts than defensive this year, meaning that as a defensive defenseman, he isn't earning a whole lot of trust in his own zone. To answer your question, I doubt he is an upgrade over dotchin even with how he has played. But this whole discussion is why I don't think we are saved with mcdonagh, and why I laugh at that Joe Smith article.
I think we can agree that it's a forgone conclusion that Girardi will be in the top 4, so it will be interesting to continue this discussion going forward once the pairings are in place. I hear You, I think it will work though
Old 03-08-2018, 08:05 AM
XO Sniper

I suspect that the pairings come the playoffs will be as follows.

Hedman - Girardi
McDonagh - Stralhman
Coburn - Sustr

Popcorn vendors: Sergachev, Dotchin, Koekkoek

Once again absolutely no development of any defensive player of value. As a coach told me..... it's nice that you have a style you like to play but when you have serviceable "D" players like a Koekkoek, Dotchin you don't change them into gazelles at the other end of the ice you let them play their style and work that into the system. But of course that would be coaching.

Girardi/Stralhman - will probably swap back and forth dependent on how bad they play.

When does this coaching staff have to answer for non development of players on the "D" side of the ledger? We are and have been loaded with talent the last few years but lack any corresponding hardware. "D" is hard to play impossible when the object of your "D" is north of the blue line. Might be fun to watch as an appetizer but the real stuff requires shutdown "D". We have not to date this year played shut down "D".
I guess not unto they miss the cup a few more times.

I guess not unto they miss the cup a few more times.

I get it we all love that "O" performance and the excitement of the 8-7 5-4 games blah blah blah. However, when the 'season for real starts' those pond hockey teams see an early exit and the big boys are left to dance.
Where is Craig Ramsay?
One and Done
Old 03-08-2018, 08:26 AM

The NHL isn't a freaking development league. And the playoffs aren't the time to develop players.

Haven't won any hardware? Until they miss the cup a few more times?

1 team will win the cup and 30 will not. If that is your sole measure of success, all things being equal, you will be satisfied three times every century.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:59 AM
Mighty Mite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
The NHL isn't a freaking development league. And the playoffs aren't the time to develop players.
Agree on the playoffs, although disagree that there isn't development in the NHL, although the following may be splitting hairs that the NHL isn't a "developmental league".

If there was no development in the NHL, there would be no rule of thumb of 300 games played for defensemen. If there were no development in the NHL the only reason you would need coaches would be for line matchups and motivation, right? No need for Barb Underhill, then.

A guy like Koekkoek, who has nothing left to learn in the AHL, is being underdeveloped as an NHL player, as he isn't given game situation ice time in order to further develop as an NHL player. For whatever reason.

This criticism was also rightly leveled when Marchessault went through the same.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM

I think that we will see the defensive combinations being juggled until they find the right fit.

I would not be surprised if we end up with something like this:

Hedman - Girardi
McDonagh - Sustr
Coburn - Stralhman

This will allow the top 3 to be on the ice at any given time.