BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 05-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

not sure how big he is, but atkinson is smallish. BC has done good with those types of guys though (ie Gionta, Gerbe)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:18 AM

After reading through the THN draft issue, i'm hoping one of these slips down to the first pick of the third round:
I don't want a goalie there. we need to keep stocking skaters:

Mitch Wahl Right-handed center Spokane (anyone see how he looked? Didn't get a chance to watch him closely Sunday)
David Toews - LW Shattuck
Cody Goloubef RH D man
Jyri Niemi - LH D (mean looking)
Jamie Arniel - RH C Sarnia
James Livingston RW Sault St. marie
Kruise Reddick - smallish lh center Tri-City
Mark Barberio - LH D
Old 05-26-2008, 10:27 AM
BP Staff

There's a lot of smallish C's that are creeping up the rankings. I know TB was watching Tyler Ennis of Medicine Hat this year.

Wahl was okay in the MemCup. I didn't notice him much in the finals, but the previous games he was more active/visible. He has a "nice" shot.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:27 PM
BP Staff

Finally got my copy of the THN Draft Preview. I am expecting Red Line to come in the next week or two.

Stamkos #1 and compared to Yzerman and hyped to the ends of the earth. No surprises there.

Filatov at 4. Wilson 7. Boedker 9. Beach 10. Boychuk 12.

45. C Maxime Sauve, Val d'Or (QMJHL), 5'11" 170 lbs
70 GP, 26-39-65, 30 PIM
(#26 NA by CSS)

52. RW James Livingston, Sault Ste. Marie (OHL), 6'1" 200 lbs
68 GP, 21-23-44, 135 PIM
(#53 NA by CSS)

53. LW Geordie Wudrick, Swift Current (WHL), 6'3" 204 lbs.
66 GP, 20-24-44, 72 PIM
(#71 NA by CSS)

Most of the guys from the second half of the second round on are rated as two-way guys with iffy offensive potential. Basil McRae's kid is sitting at #66. For some reason, I'm semi-fixated on the idea we could have our first multi-generational Lightning players if we pick that kid. I think it's neat that the franchise has been around long enough now that it's a possibility.

If they want to go goaltender, Jacob DeSerres might be sitting there. He's #69 in THN. Matt Carle's brother is at #70.

Michal Jordan is a Czech born defenseman from Plymouth of the OHL ranked #89. Give him #23.

If you held a gun to my head and forced me to bet, Livingston strikes me as a Lightning type pick.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Johnny Shortside

You talked about a Lightning type pick, how would you classify their type?

Just wondering what kind of skills etc people we draft will have or will be expected to have.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:57 PM
BP Staff

The Lightning like high character guys who are good on the forecheck and go to the net. Basically, meat and potatoes type players. Bonus points if you skate well. They also used to like guys 6'2" and taller and 200 lbs+, but they started to back off their size requirements last season. In the case of Livingston, there's always been a bit of a pipeline between Sault Ste Marie and Tampa due to the fact Phil brought aboard Angelo Bumbacco (who he founded the team with and was its long time GM and lives in Sault) from the Greyhounds and he has remained as the club's OHL scout. Bumbacco is one of the longest tenured members of the Lightning organization and one of the original group of scouts hired by the team.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...53C1A967958260

Here are THN's remarks on Livingston:

Quote:
Livingston is not the most talented and dynamic player in this year's draft, but we presume he might be the most consistent.

Livingston is a good skater who is strong along the boards and in front of the net and his consistency makes him a very coachable player.

There are, however, divergent opinions on how good he is offensively. He burst onto the draft scene this season after scoring just seven points for the Soo last season.

"This kid can score," a scout said.

"He has the complete physical package," another scout said, "but he has very average hockey sense."

Livingston's ability to cycle the puck and work along the boards make him valuable, but his finish around the net and his ability to get the puck to other players in scoring areas is sometimes lacking.

"He plays hard and he's a good skater," a scout said. "He's a good two-way player."
CSS thinks he has a little better hands than THN gives him credit for but says he needs to work on his short burst acceleration.

Seems to fit the mold. Am I wrong Chad?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:59 AM
BP Staff

Nope. That's what to look for, for sure.

Last year kind of threw a wrench into things with the swing-for-the-fences mentality (after the semi-safe Tyrell pick)... and I'm really anxious to see what kind of player is mandated from above Feaster this year. Do they want grinders like Melrose seemed to favor in LA? Do they want speed and skill above everything for an exciting (read: marketable) brand of hockey? Or status quo with what they've been doing as you've described above?

Should be interesting.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:38 AM
BP Staff

The problem is, there's not all these great offensive players just laying around once you get out of the first round of this draft. I'd love to get Jared Staal, but I think he'll be long gone by the third round. Of course, just like Cunti, there's always a chance a guy slips. For instance, do the Swedes now take a big hit because of the IIHF agreement? Could Tedenby slip? Perhaps, but probably not to the third round. Maybe a really little guy like Ennis slips. We'll see. The best player on the board might be a defenseman by the time our third comes up.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Think someone would take a 2 next year plus one of those late pics for a 2 this year?? I'd even give up the 5 maybe... Would be nice to get a second and the first in the third.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

I wouldnt mind seeing TBL take Sbisa - a mobile dmen on Faddens team - in the 3rd, if he's there. The kid has a decent tool set.

Any real change in drafting philosophy with new owners and melrose leading the way?

Im sure the number in the PIM stats will be a little larger in this draft class...