BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 03-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTLightning26 View Post
Huh? Not sure I heard the last three..
Go to the 1:20 second mark and listen till the end.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
That said, even with Stamkos's mini-slump...
So....what would a slump look like?

I'm way more concerned about him than I am about Marty St. Louis
Old 03-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Rick Tocchet's Bookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
So....what would a slump look like?

I'm way more concerned about him than I am about Marty St. Louis
I take your point, but I refuse to call it a full-blown slump until somebody else starts leading the league in goals. Just a totally idiosyncratic matter of principle on my part, others can feed him to the wood chipper on their own timetable.

Also - with the notable exception of a few inexplicable and weak passes in the neutral zone, a nagging and correctable tendency that actually predates this (mini) slump - I'm seeing less of 91 floating on the edges of play, slightly out-of-focus, and more just forcing it, forcing it, forcing it. If somebody's slumping, better for them to play like Chris Farley or the Kool-Aid Man trying to bust through brick walls than some sulking hothouse orchid.

re 26, there's a time in every superlative athlete's career when he reaches back for something skills-wise that isn't there anymore. MSL's been playing like a used lime wedge out there recently, and I hope it's just a temporary mental thing rather than the moment after the wave broke and started rushing back to sea.

And anyway, I don't think that's the case with him - as I said, I fully expect him to kill it come playoff-time. Stamkos, too.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:18 AM
Chris Gratton's Ruby Slippers

Default stamkos

Stamkos hit his head on the ice on Feb 6 vs the Blues after scoring a goal.
Since then he has 3 goals in 19 games. Previously he had scored 40 goals in 54 games.

Maybe this is part of the explanation (for his slump)?

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...4&event=T.B710

Last edited by dmitry; 03-24-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:57 AM
Johnny Shortside

Really liked Boucher interview from the St Pete Times newspaper site on how he never panics.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...always-nervous

What advice would you give the Lightning right now?

To get it rolling, I would suggest:

There were times when I used to tell my teams to just win every shift. This is one time they need to simplify things.

Defense first.

No rebounds.

Get back to the cross ice pass to Stamkos on the powerplay. Gotta get the goalie moving side to side and not have time to get set up.
Going north south creates puck movement that defenders love.

Win faceoffs.

Secondary scoring from 3rd 4th lines. Gotta have it. Adam Hall is a great hustler, but is snakebit when it comes to finishing. Someone work with him. He could easily add 10 a season more if he could finish.

Defense take the lane and go. I like a rushing defenseman, nothing screws up their D more then having to deal with a 6-4 230 body busting up the wing full speed.

Get the puck OUT of your zone.
STOP attempting to clear the puck on your backhand. It usually ends up as a weak fluttering attempt, often easily stopped by their D men on the blue line to simply shoot on net or work around the zone while we run around.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphockey View Post
Really liked Boucher interview from the St Pete Times newspaper site on how he never panics.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightn...always-nervous

What advice would you give the Lightning right now?

To get it rolling, I would suggest:

There were times when I used to tell my teams to just win every shift. This is one time they need to simplify things.

Defense first.

No rebounds.

Get back to the cross ice pass to Stamkos on the powerplay. Gotta get the goalie moving side to side and not have time to get set up.
Going north south creates puck movement that defenders love.

Win faceoffs.

Secondary scoring from 3rd 4th lines. Gotta have it. Adam Hall is a great hustler, but is snakebit when it comes to finishing. Someone work with him. He could easily add 10 a season more if he could finish.

Defense take the lane and go. I like a rushing defenseman, nothing screws up their D more then having to deal with a 6-4 230 body busting up the wing full speed.

Get the puck OUT of your zone.
STOP attempting to clear the puck on your backhand. It usually ends up as a weak fluttering attempt, often easily stopped by their D men on the blue line to simply shoot on net or work around the zone while we run around.

Sorry, I'm really over "liking" his post game interviews. He says the right things I guess, but fix the damn thing already.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Sorry, I'm really over "liking" his post game interviews. He says the right things I guess, but fix the damn thing already.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
He has actually said that in a recent post-game interview as well.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang View Post
I take your point, but I refuse to call it a full-blown slump until somebody else starts leading the league in goals. Just a totally idiosyncratic matter of principle on my part, others can feed him to the wood chipper on their own timetable.
And an honor it is to humbly and cheerfully pass on the Mantle of Exaggeration sir, may you wear it in good health and thanks for the chuckle...nice imagery there
Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 PM
Larry Hirsch's Travel Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
And an honor it is to humbly and cheerfully pass on the Mantle of Exaggeration sir, may you wear it in good health and thanks for the chuckle...nice imagery there
Now I want to watch Fargo for some reason...