BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 03-17-2011, 08:42 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Default Posters discussion/complaint thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradL View Post
I also was referring to Lightning fans in general, not you specifically. Like with any fanbase, I think most posters here wouldn't have nearly the amount of criticisms if Boucher said what Boudreau did.
Explain to me where you call out the broader lightning fans:

Quote:
The fans on these boards sure wouldn't be calling for discipline on Boucher, I can tell you that.
You call out fans on this board. So far, anyone who has challenged it you have stepped back with the generic "Oh I didn't mean you." So you made this broad statment to lump everyone on this board together as die hard homers who cannot seperate themselves to see a broader picture like it would improve your arguement, and then you run from it with each and every person who has challenged it. So, if you don't mean anyone who is talking on the boards, then who on this board were you talking about?

Last edited by Sotnos; 03-17-2011 at 11:14 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
Old-Skool Assassin

This board contains quite a few of the people he is talking about. While he may back away from it, I won't. At this point I simply chuckle at those types of posts he refers to and move on. Maybe, eventually, he will too. Simply put though, it is why I post sparingly and I know most here have no issue with that as I at times fall into the category of disliked posters ala Brad and gatsby.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:51 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwf82 View Post
This board contains quite a few of the people he is talking about. While he may back away from it, I won't. At this point I simply chuckle at those types of posts he refers to and move on. Maybe, eventually, he will too. Simply put though, it is why I post sparingly and I know most here have no issue with that as I at times fall into the category of disliked posters ala Brad and gatsby.
What you guys are failing to see, as far as I can tell, is that I don't care at all that your opinions are different. It's what creates good discussion. What bothers me is the way you present it. The ol' standby, it's not what you say, but how you say it. Yeah. It applies.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

The fact is there are several people here who put other teams first or equal but aren't asses about it or "It's my duty to tell you people you're homers" types, and no one has a problem with it.

As Avery is implying (I think), anyone who thinks they're "disliked" needs to look in the mirror for the reason why. This self-congratulatory, "I'm so awesome cuz I'm not a homer like you people, and you can't handle it" BS is self-perpetuated.

Seems people really want to have this discussion, so I'm moving it out of the around the NHL thread.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:26 PM
Old-Skool Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery86 View Post
What you guys are failing to see, as far as I can tell, is that I don't care at all that your opinions are different. It's what creates good discussion. What bothers me is the way you present it. The ol' standby, it's not what you say, but how you say it. Yeah. It applies.
Then what I need is for you to explain to me how these two comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatsby View Post
He makes a good point that the only reason they are doing this is because it was their player who was injured. It makes Montreal fans look even more silly than they already are.
Quote:
I completely agree with most of what he said. People like to hate on Bruce, but in this instance he's telling it like it is. If you don't like the things that take place in the game, don't watch. The last thing the NHL needs is a bunch of knee-jerk reactions from Montreal based companies/fans/owners telling the league what to do and going so far as investigating a player.
which are the opinions of the two people that most seem to take issue with, based SOLELY on a link that was posted and not on anything else that was said led to this response:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotnos View Post
Don't see anyone saying he's wrong. Seems you both missed the point(s).

Neither presented their comment with any hint of bashing of any fan here. Neither accused anyone of saying he was wrong. No point was initially made, a link was simply posted so I'm not sure how they would have missed anything. Others commented, so did those two and that was the response. I'm at a loss to see how their initial comments led to the one that followed. I'm not sure how they could have better presented their opinion in this case or why they may have needed to "look in the mirror" for why their opinion was commented on the way it was.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe they deserved the response this time. I don't think so but it seems others do think they did so maybe I'm the one missing the point this time.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Manon Rheaume Lookalike

Cool thread, forgot there was no bias around here.

Every team has their homers, their pessimists and their level headed fans. In the end of the day, we're all rooting for the same team. It's a reality about any fanbase, and not a direct insult to anybody. If you say you are not a homer and would see a situation the same way no matter what team, I'd believe you no problem. Generally speaking though, some opinions on here I think would change involving certain situations depending on the team/s involved (again, as any fanbase has the tendency to do). Do you think Boston fans would all have the same opinions of the Chara hit if the players swapped teams? Of course not.

Signed,

Your Neighborhood Optimist

Last edited by Sotnos; 03-17-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Cool thread, forgot there was no bias around here.

Every team has their homers, their pessimists and their level headed fans. In the end of the day, we're all rooting for the same team. It's a reality about any fanbase, and not a direct insult to anybody. If you say you are not a homer and would see a situation the same way no matter what team, I'd believe you no problem. Generally speaking though, some opinions on here I think would change involving certain situations depending on the team/s involved (again, as any fanbase has the tendency to do). Do you think Boston fans would all have the same opinions of the Chara hit if the players swapped teams?

Signed,

Your Neighborhood Optimist
Its what you said, but inverted. Bias does exist, but most people rightfully have issue when its implied to that an entire fanbase thinks and operates a certain way. Its the same train of thought that you can apply to racism and sexism. Some people are more bias than others, you should know this having visited hfboards, the Toronto and Montreal fanbases are notorious for their unrequited view points. And adding to this, I'm in the camp that believes that you can be a fan and attempt to objective at the same time. Even if you can't completely hide it.

Also it doesn't make sense logically to me, when you tell an entire sect of people that they are homers and then turn around and claim to be from the same sect. That tells me that you believe that you transcend us and can case judgment on us. Or that you are indeed from another fan base. I hope it makes sense to you why some people might find issue with that type of arrogance.

Aside from that, personally, I think you are very rationale and you don't personally attack people. I enjoy the banter even if I could probably find better logic in a GWB autobiography.

Last edited by Sotnos; 03-17-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: qdp
Old 03-17-2011, 05:41 PM
Manon Rheaume Lookalike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
Its what you said, but inverted. Bias does exist, but most people rightfully have issue when its implied to that an entire fanbase thinks and operates a certain way. Its the same train of thought that you can apply to racism and sexism. Some people are more bias than others, you should know this having visited hfboards, the Toronto and Montreal fanbases are notorious for their unrequited view points. And adding to this, I'm in the camp that believes that you can be a fan and attempt to objective at the same time. Even if you can't completely hide it.
From some of my recent posts:

Quote:
Every team has their homers, their pessimists and their level headed fans
Quote:
...and not a direct insult to anybody. If you say you are not a homer and would see a situation the same way no matter what team, I'd believe you no problem.
Quote:
Not necessarily you. I just don't think there would be the same opinions if Boucher said this instead of Boudreau.
Quote:
...Lightning fans in general, not you specifically. Like with any fanbase...
Quote:
It's a reality about any fanbase, and not a direct insult to anybody
Obviously, I am not saying all Lightning fans are biased. Perhaps I should have used the word "some" or"many" initially, but I have since clearly stated that every team has some biased fans and not everyone here is biased.

Quote:
Also it doesn't make sense logically to me, when you tell an entire sect of people that they are homers
See above.

Quote:
and then turn around and claim to be from the same sect.
I am a Lightning fan. You are a Lightning fan. All of us are Lightning fans, I would think. Some are biased, some are in the middle, and some are pessimistic, but that obviously doesn't mean we're not fans of the same team.

Quote:
That tells me that you believe that you transcend us and can case judgment on us.
Inferiority complex much? No idea how that makes you feel like I "transcend" on you. Seems a little defensive.

Quote:
Or that you are indeed from another fan base.
If I was a fan of another team, I sure as hell wouldn't be here to bug you guys

Quote:
I hope it makes sense to you why some people might find issue with that type of arrogance.
In arguments, people use different ways of coming across with a point. I don't like to personally insult people, because it's not the point of a hockey debate and everyone around here seems very knowledgeable. I just try to put some things in perspective. Would you honestly expect for everyone on this website to have the same opinions they do of Boudreau, if Boucher had said the same thing? Again, it's like any fanbase. Nobody is better or worse than anybody else because of it. There is bias everywhere in life, it's not something that makes you a lesser being than someone else.

Quote:
Aside from that, personally, I think you are very rationale and you don't personally attack people. I enjoy the banter even if I could probably find better logic in a GWB autobiography.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:02 PM

The points I made obviously were in response to what you had to say initially. Most of what people had to say was in response to that.

I probably could have worded it better, but to clarify if you don't understand what I'm saying by you being rational but not logical. You don't make absurd statements, like predictions and hyperbole. But you tend to take positions in your viewpoints that I think have little merit, such as your stance on fighting and Randy Jones. Your free to call that your opinion, I will call that illogical.

Quote:
Quote:
Inferiority complex much? No idea how that makes you feel like I "transcend" on you. Seems a little defensive.
No. This one should be obvious for you. You described and entire fanbase, called them biased, and then claimed to be a member of that fanbase and unbiased. Pot meet Kettle analogy
Old 03-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Manon Rheaume Lookalike

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
The points I made obviously were in response to what you had to say initially. Most of what people had to say was in response to that.

I probably could have worded it better, but to clarify if you don't understand what I'm saying by you being rational but not logical. You don't make absurd statements, like predictions and hyperbole. But you tend to take positions in your viewpoints that I think have little merit, such as your stance on fighting and Randy Jones. Your free to call that your opinion, I will call that illogical.

No. This one should be obvious for you. You described and entire fanbase, called them biased, and then claimed to be a member of that fanbase and unbiased. Pot meet Kettle analogy
Your reply occurred after I had stated numerous times that I clearly wasn't grouping the entire fanbase into the biased category. I said several times something along the lines of "every fanbase has biased, pessimistic, and level headed fans". If you're not going to bother reading what I have to say, save the complaints.