BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-09-2008, 08:30 AM
Cooper's Law

Default No "C" last year

I do believe that thee was no "C" awarded last year and that Vinny and marty wore the "A". tim taylor was supposed to be the Captain until his injury took him off the ice. Obviously I am not privy to what happened in the locker room but it was obvious to me that Vinny, Marty and Brad were playing as hard as they could, but the surrounding forwards could not pick up the pace. I also think that coaching had something to do with it and that Torts may well have lost the room toward the end of the season if not before. His inability to change his system until late in the season to accommodate his young D may have had something to do with the situation. As to how the room reacts to Recchi, well he has shown good leadership on other teams and I expect him to do the same here. I think the guy who has had trouble is Roberts, he had trouble in Pitt and got sat down on a number of occasions and I honestly doubt that anyone would have picked him up for the numbers he is being paid by OK/B.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

I definitely remember lots of talk about lack of leadership during all those third-period meltdowns. There were many reasons for last season's debacle, but I don't remember many dissenters when we talked about how no one really picked up the Andreychuk and Taylor mantle after they left. I think those discussions happened here on this board and sometime I do a search...
Old 07-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Cooper's Law

Default Lol

LOL Thanks Tim for reminding me that I probably made such a statement about the lack of leadership that led to the 3rd period meltdowns. I am still conflicted about those meltdowns and wonder how much being tired because of the double shifting accounted for those meltdowns. I remember one win where Richie was out there the last minute and a half to try and preserve a victory- which he did-and when he went off the ice after the whistle blew he was hunched over and barely skating off. You can be a good leader on a poor team and winning and losing has nothing to do with excellent leadership. Excellent leadership has everything to do with how hard everyone plays. If you do not have the talent the other team has then you have to grit and gut it out and outwork the other team for the win, which does not always happen. When I think back to last season the majority of the nights the effort was there but not the result. My biggest complaint was the last game of the season where no one went after Coote after the cheap shot on Vinny. when Vinny went down it was like letting the air out of the balloon. A good example of that is my own swim team. I have been blessed with a long run of very good captains who have worked hard and pushed their teammates to do the same, however, we never won a state meet or a regional meet. While we had talent and got the best effort from all of our swimmers there were other schools with better talent who won those event. Personally I thought Halpern would make a good Captain after watching his efforts last season.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM
Vincent Lecavalier's Lifetime Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
I definitely remember lots of talk about lack of leadership during all those third-period meltdowns. There were many reasons for last season's debacle, but I don't remember many dissenters when we talked about how no one really picked up the Andreychuk and Taylor mantle after they left. I think those discussions happened here on this board and sometime I do a search...
Oh yes, I remember it. The very few games I did waste a ton of gas driving down to Tampa to watch I could just see it out there on the ice. It just was not there. And my other favorite was (we scored lower bowl seats for the 2nd visit) and that SOB took just the dumpest penalty in the world right in front of us. A very obvious high sticking, shoving the blade of his stick up to a guys face (all the while you could see him mouth something like F***er!) What was shitty was it was like a redemption type thing with him, because just before he pulled that crap the guy gave him a good clean hit or knocked him off the puck or something along those lines. He needs to play much smarter this coming season.
It was bad all over. No leadership in the Defense, none from the guys with As on the Jerseys. Vin and MSL are more of the lead by example types, but hell not everyone can do what they do like scoring like crazy, so they have to be more vocal. They're just not those types I suppose. I'd hoped that Vin would have picked some of it (leadership) up from Captain Dave, but I guess he didn't.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Captain Poke Check

Everyone seems to think that all of these "older" players (calling someone old who chronologically is younger than me is just weird) are just prime candidates for movement at the trade deadline.

If that is the case then the Bolts will be sellers in the trade deadline market and will languishing in 11-14 slot in the Eastern conference. Otherwise, how do you trade off what will be an entire line just before a playoff run.

IMO, unless this team has another bad year, these guys will be Bolts until the end of the season.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Phil Esposito's Soninlawov

Send a message via AIM to nhljohnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorBolt View Post
Everyone seems to think that all of these "older" players (calling someone old who chronologically is younger than me is just weird) are just prime candidates for movement at the trade deadline.

If that is the case then the Bolts will be sellers in the trade deadline market and will languishing in 11-14 slot in the Eastern conference. Otherwise, how do you trade off what will be an entire line just before a playoff run.

IMO, unless this team has another bad year, these guys will be Bolts until the end of the season.
No, that's the contingency plan. Koules and Barrie want to win now and have few pieces of the puzzle to lock up afterwards. If their plan implodes on them, then they have inexpensive assets to ship off to contenders for a very modest return.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorBolt View Post

Pittsburgh traded Recchi and made it to the cup finals
Old 07-10-2008, 09:01 AM
The Constrictor

Send a message via AIM to Kowalski

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBFANATIC View Post
Pittsburgh traded Recchi and made it to the cup finals
Pittsburgh released Recchi.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski View Post