BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Talk

Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Default Interview with Erin "Real Deal" Andrews

Slow news day... ran across this... http://talkcity.wordpress.com/2008/0...-erin-andrews/

One interesting piece, she talks about her first sports gig with the TBL:
Quote:
OMDQ: I think it’s interesting that you mention starting out in hockey, because I was doing a little research and I actually listened to the Bill Simmons podcast that you did, and I thought it was interesting that you didn’t really know anything about hockey before you started that.

EA: Yeah, I didn’t know a thing about hockey. I was reading “Hockey For Dummies” the night before I got the job. I didn’t know A THING about hockey and I think that was one of the best things for me because I learned so much about how to prepare, I learned how to talk to athletes and the coaches, how to deal with losing teams because the team that I was working for at the time, the Tampa Bay Lightning, they were the laughingstock of the NHL, they were the worst team in the league and I was traveling with them, so they’d get on and off the bus and on the plane and even though it wasn’t me that was losing I had to learn to kind of carry myself with the players and coaches.
There's another gem where she really defends NHL players as the best athletes of all sports, and then she ends the interview with this gem:
Quote:
I just kind of look at myself as your typical chick next door. That’s how I look at myself.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

I think im one of the only red-blooded males that can't stand her. Has nothing to do with her looks, just her "ample talents" that got her where she is today (aside from her dad).
Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

What don't you like about her Mav?
Old 08-05-2008, 01:47 AM
Steve F**king Yzerman

It was nothin personal...just at a time when I was busting my ass in school trying to get any break I could in the business and I was losing out on interviews and jobs to...how should I put it politely...well endowed journalists with ample talents.

I remember actually reading a similar interview when she got the job and then knowing that her dad at Channel 8 got her the hookup...it just vexed me. I'm sure she's a nice girl and likely works hard and all but seeing her vamp around in tight sweaters sure doesn't appease my general disgust with the industry I used to love...perhaps my wording earlier was overly harsh.

I'll give her one thing - for as much as she got on my nerves that season, she was a lot better than that guy who succeeded her (just before PK).

That and I just can't dig blondes for some reason.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I don't like her either. She's kind of pretty, but skinny as a rail. I always got the impression that she was there only because of her looks, and I really dislike that.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Did you guys read the interview? She talks all about that. I'm not saying Pulitzer prize stuff, but as interviews of this type go, it's a decent scan. At least you get an idea about what's behind the face and all.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Alex Kharitonov's Balls

I've met Erin a few times at UF and she's a very down to earth person. She'll admit she got her job with the Lightning because the team was bad and they were looking for a pretty face to put on the air. She still works very hard at what she does and will probably spend two full days preparing for a game just reading the local newspapers and media guides. She's pretty, but I don't think it makes her any less of a journalist. Of course her start with the Lightning was rough, but I think she's become one of the better sideline reporters out there.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Chris Gratton's Ruby Slippers

Quote:
Maverick9911 It was nothin personal...just at a time when I was busting my ass in school trying to get any break I could in the business and I was losing out on interviews and jobs to...how should I put it politely...well endowed journalists with ample talents
As a female working in the professional world, I had to respond to this. From my perspective, it's definitely a "man's world." Women generally have to be twice as smart in order to be selected for a position over a male candidate and even then we are not paid as much. I'm not necessarily saying its right for a woman to use her physical attributes to gain advantage, just thought you might be interested in an alternative reality.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

[quote]
Quote:
As a female working in the professional world, I had to respond to this. From my perspective, it's definitely a "man's world." Women generally have to be twice as smart in order to be selected for a position over a male candidate and even then we are not paid as much. I'm not necessarily saying its right for a woman to use her physical attributes to gain advantage, just thought you might be interested in an alternative reality.
That's how I believe it to be in most places and I find it just as abhorrent. In this particular business, it's flipped over. Education isn't as attractive as it used to be.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Good interview, too bad the guy lost the part where she talked about hockey extensively, seems like she really got into the sport from her year with the Bolts.