BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Cooper's Law

Default Wow

A Russian. Nemistnikov wow a winger. How funny I did not think he would grab a winger. Ok let us get ready for the rest of the draft.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aapbolt View Post
A Russian. Nemistnikov wow a winger. How funny I did not think he would grab a winger. Ok let us get ready for the rest of the draft.
Tsn and NHL radio said that he is a center. So I guess he can play either spot
Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 PM
Franz Jean's Goalie School

Also EE is saying center as well. Apparently he grew up in America and his dad played in the NHL, too
Old 06-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Vaclav Prospal Survivalist

Im good with the pick. I'd have preferred Grimaldi, but there's nothing bad with Namestnikov. Might've been able to trade down, but you do need a dance partner to trade.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 PM
Cooper's Law

Default Oops

My bad he is a center, in my rush I put winger b/c I was not sure. I do not understand why Jenner or Phillips were not taken instead unless they think his upside is better. It will be interesting to read the opinions of the scouts and SFY.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Franz Jean's Goalie School

If I recall correctly, hockeydb.com has him listed as getting 30G 38A in 68GP this year for London, putting him at a PPG. Not bad for what I believe (though I could be wrong) was his rookie year in the OHL.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:13 PM
Cooper's Law

Send a message via AIM to Jester47

And TSN didn't want to interview our guy??? You would think they would at least want to talk to SY???
Old 06-24-2011, 10:14 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I'm fine with the pick. Wasn't expecting to much at 26. We could have sold the barn for Burns, but this will be solid. I'll take it.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:07 AM
BP Staff

It's tough with Grimaldi and Phillips still having been on the board. I saw a bit of Marty and Brad in those two.

The big thing with Namestnikov is building his body up and mixing in some survival instincts. He's in the 160's as far as weight goes, despite being 5-6 inches taller than Grimaldi, and he's a late '92 birthday, so he's 5-6 months older than the average player from this class. So he's very slightly built and his window to fill out is shorter than a lot of players in this class. It's not like when we took Killorn and Killorn was that skinny but he was 6 months younger than everyone else.

When you couple that with the style Namestnikov plays, it could be a recipe for trouble. He's a yapper, and he's brave to the point of stupid, and he doesn't know when/how to bail out to avoid a big hit. I'd just as soon see him cut out the yapping, because its not like he's a fighter and will back it up, and see him learn how to protect himself a little better.

The skill set is high as you would expect from a Russian, even from a Russian raised in North America. Good passer, good hands, great stickhandler, to the point that he overhandles. Maybe doesn't have quite the acceleration, but you can make the argument that some weight training can help that as he builds up his legs along with the rest of him.

I think he ends up being a very skilled 3rd line center here who plays the kind of game that helps you a lot in the postseason, provided the NHL doesn't break him. He'd probably be a 2nd line center on the bottom 2/3rds of the teams in this league, but I don't see him climbing over Vinny or Stammer here.

The frustration is that there were guys who could have been clear-cut scoring liners available.

There's a crap load of talent still on the board for tomorrow, though. We might get a 1st round caliber guy at 57. As I pointed out, I see some parallels with Grimaldi falling and Hudler falling, and Hudler went to the Wings at 58 in his year. So, who knows
Old 06-25-2011, 04:15 AM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

still tough to handle that we didn't draft grimaldi.