BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 06-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Default The Awesome Four

Hedman, Ashton, Panik, and Hutchings rock!!!!!

Just for Pete.

(But in all seriousness, they do rock!)
Old 06-27-2009, 11:13 PM
BP Staff

Better.

I think Alex Hutchings is now the official mascot of Bolt Prospects until he graduates. Hutchings or Harju.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Puppa Scoopah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Better.

I think Alex Hutchings is now the official mascot of Bolt Prospects until he graduates. Hutchings or Harju.
I was in the process of editing my original post (just to add some context), but I got to rambling so I figured I should check to see if anybody had posted yet. Here's what I was adding:

With Hedman, who are some possibilities for a mentor? Do the Lightning even bother signing anybody with this in mind? Can't be anybody to good because without moving some money off the team they can't afford anyone. I would like to see someone like Sheldon Souray brought in, but I know that is next to impossible. Would they consider bringing in a Chris Chelios as a player/coach?

Does Carter Ashton go back to juniors or is there any chance he makes the team?

I can't wait to see how Panik does in Windsor. It will definately be sink or swim with the original "Boogeyman" as his coach. Hopefully he turns into a real steal for us. What are realistic expectations from him this year stat wise? Hossa had 45 goals as a rookie in the WHL, is that even remotely possible? I don't want to set expectations to high, but it appears he will get the opportunity with first line playing time:

http://new.windsorspitfires.com/viewcontent.php?id=3216

Hutchings = Kunitz, or is there a more accurate comparison? I don't know, but I really do like this pick. Something about the kid just seems right. I would imagine he goes back to juniors, but wouldn't be shocked if he gets major considerations. Sure most have seen this already, but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMGpiKaJIQc

I think we are in very good shape (no pun intended) with this kid. My vote is for Hutchings as mascot.

Does anybody know if the kids are only getting the prospect camp or will they also be invited to training camp as well?
Old 06-28-2009, 01:10 AM
BP Staff

Realistic expectations for Panik? Well, put it this way: Loktionov was a 5th round pick and he had 24 goals and 66 points in 51 games for Windsor after coming over from Russia last season. I would expect Panik could best that production. I don't think 30 goals and 80 points are too much to ask. That team will be loaded.

Chance that Ashton makes the team? Yes. On the order of a 5-10% chance.

It doesn't sound like they can afford a real mentor for Hedman. That may just fall to Meszaros. I don't like it, but the only UFA the Lightning have been rumored to be looking at is Eminger if the Panthers dump him or possibly re-signing Murphy. Hedman/Murphy might not be a bad pairing.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

The only UFAs that i'd have some interest in are:

Paul Mara
Steve Montador
Rob Scuderi

if we could bring Mara in at somewhere between 2 for 4-4.5, it could work
Montador would be cheaper 2 for 2.5?
Scuderi, who knows? He made under a mil last year, but was hailed for a great playoff

Just curious what Mattias Tiimander's contract is...and whether he would come over for one year.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Better.

future energy line..

Hutchings-Tyrrell-Harju
Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 AM
WaiverWire

Quote:
I don't like it, but the only UFA the Lightning have been rumored to be looking at is Eminger if the Panthers dump him or possibly re-signing Murphy. Hedman/Murphy might not be a bad pairing.
pete I have been looking for this type of info everywhere, but the only place I have seen it was in posts here. Do we all really think we would bring back Eminger? Seems, if so, we are seeing our sights low. Even Lawton made the comment at the Town Hall meeting as to how many games he had been benched in Florida.

My hopes would be that since they did land Hedman that they would open the wallet a little and bring in a mentor for him. They did do that for Stamkos and it had a huge return. I see statements by DC and EE in their pieces that OK wants payroll close to the floor. However I never have seen a direct quote. And again, at the meeting they did say the budget had not been set. So let's hope they are setting the budget by what they currently have in hand, and if the higher budget would be justified in order to help the team. In this case it would if they were in fact looking for a mentor. I would not be surprised that they do just that.

Last edited by WaiverWire; 06-28-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 AM

I think DC has been the one giving credence to the idea
Old 06-28-2009, 09:21 AM

They actually talked about bringing in a veteran mentor, but that was before the squabbles of late.
Old 06-28-2009, 10:57 AM

I dunno. IMO, you can bring back Krajicek, Murphy or Eminger (if he's available), but not two of the three...And i know that Kraj was our property as an RFA, but would everybody be screaming for Lawton's head if he let him go for nothing? I'd want Murphy out of those three, but could be coaxed into Eminger
My guess is Murphy wants to sign with someone closer to home (Toronto). He also grew up neat Ottawa. Eminger might be available, but doesn;t seem to be the mentor type...I know Tocc has said some good things about Kraj at times, so maybe he likes him in that role...
Mez-Ranger
Lashoff-Smaby
Krajicek-Hedman
Lundin or Petiot or Welch

I'd much rather see

Mez-Ranger
Mara-Hedman
Lashoff-Smaby
Lundin or Welch

Wishart-Petiot
Mihalik-Quick
Jackson-Boyle

--

But they may thinking, it's Wishart's time in 2010-11, so should we get a guy like Mara and sign him for 2 or 3 years? Let's sign Kraj and then Wishart moves in his spot in 10-11 and Quick and Mihalik and maybe Lundin if he's still here battle to unseat Lashoff and Smaby...
We certainly do need depth for the future there, don't we?
It woulkd be nice if we could pick up another defense prospect in a Halpern trade..