BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 04-17-2019, 11:23 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizman View Post
We have many young players that are cut from same mold...the smaller skilled type guys. I fear that Yzermans philosophy of the type of players he covets is deep within our franchise. Maybe we are structured too heavily on those types of players....just a thought.
Those small players can be effective, if they use their speed and are willing fight through the clutching and grabbing.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:35 AM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobo_24 View Post
Half of you guys are ridiculous. You don't reset a whole team after setting records in wins and dominating for a whole season. you do not. teams/fans would give anything to have the success we have had over the past 4-6 years. Everyone is reacting emotionally and rightfully so; the expectations and level of talent that we have been accustomed to compounds this feeling.

Sure there needs to be some changes and a pretty significant move or 2; but to list 2-3 players as the only players that arent touchable is laughable.

Columbus played a nearly perfect series, the coaching was outmatched, as well as the officiating as being near 'Boston like' didnt do us any favors. The BJ team isnt as terrible as subjected when the playoffs started.
Sorry...my feeling is that we have been exposed. We need moderate changes at least or we will be basically living with the stigma of chokers for a very long time. Again, I dont think we are built for playoff success..
Old 04-17-2019, 11:37 AM
Barry Melrose's Hairstylist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
Those small players can be effective, if they use their speed and are willing fight through the clutching and grabbing.
Sorry, we dont seem to have those players...at least the results show that.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:39 AM

Pittsburgh won several cups with small and speedy forwards and not the best group of defenders.

IMO the biggest problem is that we have been heavily reliant on special teams, and when the refs swallowed their whistles we weren't able to generate any offense and the few penalties that were called, our PK looked timid and ineffective.
Old 04-17-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scobo_24 View Post
Half of you guys are ridiculous. You don't reset a whole team after setting records in wins and dominating for a whole season. you do not. teams/fans would give anything to have the success we have had over the past 4-6 years. Everyone is reacting emotionally and rightfully so; the expectations and level of talent that we have been accustomed to compounds this feeling.

Sure there needs to be some changes and a pretty significant move or 2; but to list 2-3 players as the only players that arent touchable is laughable.

Columbus played a nearly perfect series, the coaching was outmatched, as well as the officiating as being near 'Boston like' didnt do us any favors. The BJ team isnt as terrible as subjected when the playoffs started.
No matter what changes you think made (large or small), you absolutely only have a small core of players who are untouchable. It doesn't mean you move everyone else, or make giant moves. It means you listen on every other player. We have always had a core of 4-5 players. I don't pull Kuch/Stamkos off that, but that's sports.

Honestly the more I think, the more I listen, the more I think Cooper would be one of the 2-3 moves, though I know with contract that can't happen now. Without any judgement on their play, I think Cally and Miller have to be gone just to make that cap space work. My ideal world, Palat/TJ are gone (I know NTC so it's way tougher) and we keep Miller.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:11 PM
The Chief's Canadian Ginger Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
No matter what changes you think made (large or small), you absolutely only have a small core of players who are untouchable. It doesn't mean you move everyone else, or make giant moves. It means you listen on every other player. We have always had a core of 4-5 players. I don't pull Kuch/Stamkos off that, but that's sports.

Honestly the more I think, the more I listen, the more I think Cooper would be one of the 2-3 moves, though I know with contract that can't happen now. Without any judgement on their play, I think Cally and Miller have to be gone just to make that cap space work. My ideal world, Palat/TJ are gone (I know NTC so it's way tougher) and we keep Miller.
I would agree with what you stated except the whole Cooper thing. My level of confidence has dropped with Cooper but I think it would put the organization in a negative light. We are always calculated and deliberate and then moving him a month after a contract extension would be rash and alarming. Just my .02 i don't see it happening.

One of the biggest issues I see is we don't have the boisterous voice in the locker room. (or what we as fans see) Every single person is soft spoken, even keeled and equally appearing to be nonchalant in dire situations during the playoffs. is what it is just appears that they are missing that.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:19 PM

I personally don't believe the contract will be an issue. Well I guess it's more of an issue in that it looks bad, but I don't think the money will be an issue, especially if it has a clause that accounts for him being paid by someone else.

Agreed on the need for a more outspoken, driven player. We have no real leaders on the ice, imo. Stammer is the Vinny, but we have no Marty.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
This is the kind of thing I'm excited about and all of us on a prospects forum should be excited about. We'll get to see if Foote/Masin/Katchouk/Raddysh/ABB/Stephens can push some people out. I encourage the $25 fee to watch the playoffs for the AHL if you can. Foote is gonna be a long term RHD for this organization at the NHL level. He's grown this season with call-ups making room for him to get bigger minutes and expanded responsibilities and utilization in the AHL. Masin is, to me, like Cernak with a little less offensive upside. A solid bottom 4 D on the Left Side that you can forget about for 16-20min a night as he won't do anything other than exactly what needs to be done in all defensive situations. Need a road grader? On it. Need a shot block? On it. Need a battler on the wall(unlike Sergy)? On it. He's basically a Coburn type, only younger. Likely doesn't skate as well as Coburn did in his youth and still exhibits from time to time, but his skating isn't poor.
I agree with all of your post, ZS, but this paragraph in particular. I'm so stoked for Masin. The only guy I've been more excited to see recently was Erne. We need a meat and potatoes guy like Masin on the backline, just like Cernak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I personally don't believe the contract will be an issue. Well I guess it's more of an issue in that it looks bad, but I don't think the money will be an issue, especially if it has a clause that accounts for him being paid by someone else.
Cooper's post-game was all I needed to hear. Cooper does not learn lessons and adjust. At all. This has been proven beyond all shadow of doubt. Allowing the players to go to Miami to celebrate winning the President's trophy was a tremendous error in judgement, which was compounded by nothing but errors in his judgement in this playoff disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Agreed on the need for a more outspoken, driven player. We have no real leaders on the ice, imo. Stammer is the Vinny, but we have no Marty.
The team needs a heart transplant.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizman View Post
Sorry, we dont seem to have those players...at least the results show that.
Yanni Gourde and Brayden Point.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:50 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
Yanni Gourde and Brayden Point.
Can we really say that Gourde has been effective in the playoffs? 3 goals in 20+ playoff games isn't exactly getting the job done. For a guy that scores most of his goals from the front of the net, he wasn't very noticeable in that area throughout the series.