BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > The Draft

Old 06-28-2015, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
I'm also to the point that I can't even guess as to what Yzerman and company are looking for. One year it's, draft high talent high risk guys no matter what the underlying circumstances are. The next year, it's draft high character guys and talent is secondary.
You mean to imply that perhaps their strategy is to keep the system stocked with a mix of different types of players with different strengths and weaknesses so that when you put them together on a team, they compliment one another?

It was a balanced draft by all rights: 2 LW, 2 C, 2 RW, 1 LHD, 1 RHD, 1 G

Also, this class was a very young class comparatively. At least three 17 year olds, and another 3 or 4 just-turned-18's. Imama was by far and away the oldest player taken. That tells me they think there isn't going to be much turnover on the big club now for a few years -- yeah the sprinkling of one or two new prospects per year, but the big en masse exodus of 7-9 prospects from Norfolk/Syracuse isn't happening again. Now we're in the slow burn, let them percolate operating mode. Now your club has the talent and depth that enables DET to make the playoffs for more than a decade straight. For years, no one picked DET as being all flashy-pan at the draft. We're 5 years in and now the main club is stocked, there's depth in the system, and you are entering cap management and system restocking maintenance. Get used to sitting at the back of the room.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:45 AM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
You mean to imply that perhaps their strategy is to keep the system stocked with a mix of different types of players with different strengths and weaknesses so that when you put them together on a team, they compliment one another?
Well I'm taking Yzerman for his word that they are taking BPA, so from my angle the only way to explain the massive difference in player type selected, is a change in draft philosophy.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:36 AM

No prospects jump off the page to me, who should I be excited about?

Also, didn't we have a 7th rounder heading into the draft? What happened to it?
Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 AM
Cooper's Law

The 7th rounder was traded to Edmonton in exchange for a 7th rounder in 2016 (I think it's a Dallas 7th rounder). Yzerman said he wanted to spread the picks. That allows us to have 9 picks going into next year at the moment (we also own a Boston 2nd rounder).
Old 06-28-2015, 10:49 AM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

Talking but Torts won a Cup with safe is death

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy View Post
Murray indicated they plan to move Stephens to wing, and the plan is he's the next Ryan Callahan.

The takeaway from this draft is sandpaper, high effort, and brutal forecheckers. The exception being Dennis Yan, who is pure sniper - almost one-dimensionally so. He's got a bit to learn about playing in his own zone. Yan touts the Lightning as his favorite team, and he loves Kucherov. I'd say we got one/maybe two high skill guys, and then a slew of safe, hard-working, gritty, 2nd/3rd liners and 2nd/3rd pair guys. And then another long-term Wilcox-type project goalies.

I do think we accomplished what SFY and team wanted, IF all those kids with development left do just that and fill in as contracts expire or require more than we have cap room to keep. Being contrarian may be best course of action since I heard lots of interview referencing either us or Chicago as to why you take speed and skill in a "little" guy because it is the way of the new NHL.

I loved a Jiri Fischer interview that I heard on Sirius about the analytics used and how to teach concepts to take advantage of what actually is working like more east west movement in the ozone and using dmen as interference, getting shots back on goal within 3 second etc. Those are traits that Det actually scouted. I'm sure we do the same and reminded me of how little I actually knew about players from reading consensus reports. I hate to be an imitator or even an emulator, but Det has had a LONG run of success and the imprint on SFY is obvious. How long can we lock SFY up for?? The more I look at this draft the better I like it. Hope we can stock Syracuse back to championship competition sooner than later.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:58 AM

Didn't Yzerman sign a 4 year extension last year? Should be good.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:23 PM
Jay Feaster's Cheeto Encrusted Thumb

I feel like this draft has more Cooper
fingerprints on it , than Yzerman's .
Old 06-28-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
There's no "exciting" pick in this draft like a Kucherov.
I think Dennis Yan is a "Kucherov" pick. He put up big numbers for a rookie this year (led the league as a rookie). Oh and his reputation is that he doesn't play defense.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I think Dennis Yan is a "Kucherov" pick. He put up big numbers for a rookie this year (led the league as a rookie). Oh and his reputation is that he doesn't play defense.
The difference is that while Kutcherov's defense was a knock against him his compete level was not. Yan seems to have that stigma about him.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:35 AM
Snoozin' Zyuzin (aka Suddenly Susan)

Default Stevens makes #3 of list for predicted success

of course the unnamed scout seems to be a Lightning scout, but Stevens is #3 on the list not named McDavid or Eichel.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...avid-or-eichel