BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Game On!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:45 PM
WaiverWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Guess you weren't buying into the whole 'rotten economy making it hard to pay bills let alone attend hockey games' theme after all. The ones who tick you off are the ones like me who bleed black & blue but can't and won't just spend like a drunken congressman on anything optional for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy every game live you can, because lots of folks simply can't
One of my main points.......the NHL and players have out priced our market. Look how many teams have sold in the past few years. Friday even the Leafs put a majority of their ownership up for sale. You have teams like Atlanta, Phoenix and Florida that are bleeding red. I am sure there are others we do not know about.

I brought up how this economy would hurt this game and many here told me I was nuts. Well guess what, we are seeing it happen. We bitch and complain about those making the money they make and nothing has been said about today's athletes.

The amount of money owners hand out is ridiculous. Owners should be cutting back on payroll. They should be using that payroll reduction to bankroll their venues, not the tax payers.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:01 PM
Cooper's Law

Then your argument is with ownership and how the NHL is run, and not with people who can't afford to go to the games. Calling people out and basically saying they're bad fans is just a bit on the abrasive side when your gripe is with the price to attend the games.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:22 PM
WaiverWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery86 View Post
Then your argument is with ownership and how the NHL is run, and not with people who can't afford to go to the games. Calling people out and basically saying they're bad fans is just a bit on the abrasive side when your gripe is with the price to attend the games.
Did i call out someone here?

If we can not fill an arena with at least 17,500-18,000 the population we have in this area makes one wonder if 1, there is a lack of fan support and/or 2, are the prices too much for someone to pay.

Last edited by WaiverWire; 03-13-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:50 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

WW... not jumping on you or anything but the fact that our attendance, core attendance and leaving out the out-of-towners, is up from the Cowboys era is pretty damn good news to me. As it stands now, we have the second lowest ticket prices in the League right now. (Edit) It's not because we're priced out... many of us just can't afford it like we used to be able to. Be careful, my friend, as this whole thing is flirting with that thin line of have and have-nots IMO, as evident with Avery's post. I get what you're saying, just it may be received otherwise bysome others.

Despite that, I'm absolutely convinced that it's hard for that gap between 15-17k to close right now because either A) like I said before, some probably blew their wads on the Bucs home games and money just isn't there right now or scrimping a wee bit for the Rays home opener or B) which actually can be an extension of A, you may be seeing people sitting on their per game allowance in anticipation for the playoffs.

Truth be told, we've proven time and again that this market and it's attendance is a non-factor from a "can we be a viable market attendance wise" standpoint (you seeing this, Elitist Snobs!). The issue is, this is the first time I can recall in this franchise's history that we're mired in a really shitty local economy right now. And it sucks. And I also share some of the same views as you... I do. I think where we differ is on who is the bearer of the brunt of our frustration.

In other words, what's more important to me at the moment. Go to say, 3 or 4 remaining home games or sit on that money and get me some playoff tix. Personally, that's what I'm doing. The prices aren't too much to pay, IMO except in the Elite markets... say Toronto, MSG, Bell Centre, Vancouver, etc. When the base ticket, not the average, hits $50+, then I'll start to gripe a little more.

Moving, or posting, my other responses to the the thread I created.

Last edited by Coldrice; 03-13-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:18 PM
WaiverWire

Quote:
I'm absolutely convinced that it's hard for that gap between 15-17k to close right now because either A) like I said before, some probably blew their wads on the Bucs home games and money just isn't there right now or scrimping a wee bit for the Rays home opener or B) which actually can be an extension of A, you may be seeing people sitting on their per game allowance in anticipation for the playoffs.
And would this gap narrow if some of these games were not on TV?

I will be honest here as I have thought why spend the money now that the games are in HD.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaiverWire View Post

I will be honest here as I have thought why spend the money now that the games are in HD.
Perhaps... but are you willing to alienate and piss on a fan base as a whole to eek out another 2-3,000 people in the stands? With this fickle-ass fanbase here, with Band-wagoners, I'd say the damage would be worse by having blackouts.

Poll average Buc Fan with either mid-tier or lower season ticket package or those walk ups without ST's and I'd be shocked if less than half said they weren't renewing or were pissed off because of the stunt they pulled. And yes I mean "They", as in the Glazers...

And for the record, I don't buy any of that League-induced Blackout crap. By that I mean, yes while that may be true in it's mandate to blackout games that are not a sell out, I certainly didn't see the Glazer's stepping up and "curing" the remaining tickets outstanding to lift the blackout on some of the games. Not all, but those that were close to getting it lifted.

"Glory, Glory Man United..." indeed.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:

If they were to televise fewer games, I would NOT renew. I like the option of being able to skip select games.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrice View Post
Perhaps... but are you willing to alienate and piss on a fan base as a whole to eek out another 2-3,000 people in the stands? With this fickle-ass fanbase here, with Band-wagoners, I'd say the damage would be worse by having blackouts.
THANK YOU. It's petty, and fans would see it as such.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
I brought up how this economy would hurt this game and many here told me I was nuts.
Really. "Many here" said you were nuts for saying this economy would hurt this game. I don't remember that, and it also makes little or no sense...the economy (as in "It's the economy, stupid") has hurt everyone and everything it has touched except gold and silver sales. So this angry throng calling you nuts, their point was the bum economy will hurt everything else--job creation, car sales, gas prices, everything--but hockey? In other words, people wondering how they're going to make ends meet will still go to games just like before? Could you give an example of the many (or just three? or any?) people trying to make that point?

Didn't think so. if you now, in backpedal mode, admit it's actually the economy hurting this game (including people's ability to attend games), why blame the people who can't afford to go, the ones who "tick you off"? Who do you suppose ticks them off? Maybe season-ticket holders who aren't happy that they get to see every single home game live without going out of their way to gripe and kvetch about those who can't, and who even take it a step further by actually desiring to deprive them of the enjoyment of watching on TV?

Look in the mirror...hold up your season tickets...and just smile big, WW. Yer livin' the dream
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM
WaiverWire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Shelf View Post
Really. "Many here" said you were nuts for saying this economy would hurt this game. I don't remember that, and it also makes little or no sense...the economy (as in "It's the economy, stupid") has hurt everyone and everything it has touched except gold and silver sales. So this angry throng calling you nuts, their point was the bum economy will hurt everything else--job creation, car sales, gas prices, everything--but hockey? In other words, people wondering how they're going to make ends meet will still go to games just like before? Could you give an example of the many (or just three? or any?) people trying to make that point?

Didn't think so. if you now, in backpedal mode, admit it's actually the economy hurting this game (including people's ability to attend games), why blame the people who can't afford to go, the ones who "tick you off"? Who do you suppose ticks them off? Maybe season-ticket holders who aren't happy that they get to see every single home game live without going out of their way to gripe and kvetch about those who can't, and who even take it a step further by actually desiring to deprive them of the enjoyment of watching on TV?

Look in the mirror...hold up your season tickets...and just smile big, WW. Yer livin' the dream
Back in June 2008 I said the economy would hurt the economics of the game and thus the cap would be reduced. The cap has gone up ever year since then because revenues over all have gone up. Most likely due to ticket price increases. You can go to Center Ice and see rows of empty seats in many of the smaller market home games. If not all games were shown on TV maybe someone would rethink spending their dollars in one area so they could buy that extra game ticket.

In years past most teams did not show their games at home. Phil elected to show the games as a way to introduce the area to hockey. He even said once that happened he would cut back on the number of games shown.

Now we have HD which provides a much better picture and makes the game very easy to watch on TV. I know about 10-15 people that no longer go as they say they can now what the game with a decent picture. I know some would go to games other that the big name teams that come into town if the number of games were cut back.