BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 06-24-2018, 08:39 PM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
Civility WAS the norm. That ended with the 2016 election. Wishing it wasn’t so and pining for the days of a civil asshole like Reagan is pointless.
I go back further, but yeah. Basically this. RS is from the Neville Chamberlain school I guess.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 06-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeykShade View Post
RS is from the Neville Chamberlain school I guess.
Maybe so.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:44 PM

I am to N. Chamberlain as you are to Attila
Old 06-25-2018, 12:00 AM
Evan Oberg's Frequent Flyer Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
I am to N. Chamberlain as you are to Attila
Please explain your thought process of RS:Chamberlain::ZS:Attila.

I don't see it, but I'd like to know how that analogy works as I made the RS:Trump::Chamberlain:Hitler analogy. Are you claiming that appeasement was the best course of action when faced with the spread of facism? Are you claiming that my impolite treatment of Trump Officials will cause World Domination by Trump? I don't get it.
The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense! - Brian Cox
Old 06-25-2018, 12:24 AM

Neville is synonymous with appeasement and running from conflict and Attila is synonymous with being confrontational and indiscriminate savagery. No deeper meaning with respect to world domination or fascism
Old 06-25-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_narrow_way View Post
I do, sorry to disappoint you.
Some guy making $22,000 a year picking up your garbage for a living is supposed to take your abuse at a movie because he works for the government?

If someone gets in my face, I'm calling the police and having them arrested.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:15 AM
Chris Gratton's Ruby Slippers

Default Protests

Just signed up to attend my first ever protest this Saturday. I am seriously alarmed at what is happening to this country and how little it seems to matter to some. I mentioned the separation of kids from parents to a co-worker (have to be careful as I know a bunch of co-workers voted for trump) , and she was horrified, but didn't know anything about it! She said she doesn't watch the news because it's too depressing! Anyway, if you want to attend any rallies to protest this administration's barbaric zero tolerance policy, check out MoveOn.org.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
I wasn't aware that MLK and Ghandi invaded politicians personal spaces and harassed their families. Pretty sure neither they nor Edmund Burke lived in an era of mass social media either.

If your mobbing politicians today it's for vindication and to intimidate, it isn't to bring about meaningful change.
Apparently our schools are a mess if they aren't teaching how Dr. King conducted their protests.

They didn't get in the owner of the bus company's face at a movie theater, they didn't scream at the bus drivers. They protested in a nonviolent manner by refusing to get out of their seats, a labor strike, a march.

It was exactly the opposite of how the "protesters" handled the Bondi situation.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2min4cc View Post
Just signed up to attend my first ever protest this Saturday. I am seriously alarmed at what is happening to this country and how little it seems to matter to some. I mentioned the separation of kids from parents to a co-worker (have to be careful as I know a bunch of co-workers voted for trump) , and she was horrified, but didn't know anything about it! She said she doesn't watch the news because it's too depressing! Anyway, if you want to attend any rallies to protest this administration's barbaric zero tolerance policy, check out MoveOn.org.
+1
Old 06-25-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
Some guy making $22,000 a year picking up your garbage for a living is supposed to take your abuse at a movie because he works for the government?

If someone gets in my face, I'm calling the police and having them arrested.
You describe a civil servant, who applied for a job and was hired to do a job. Police are occasionally the targeted after high profile incidents. Other civil servants? Not so much.

Hardly who we are talking about here; Sanders, Neilsen and Miller are strictly political appointments/operatives and serve at the pleasure of POTUS. They certainly should have been aware what they were getting into when they CHOSE to work for It.

This is almost a WW level false equivalency.