BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 07-20-2020, 04:37 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

I have almost no confidence in this team. This scrimmage has done nothing to make me feel any better.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:42 PM

I only started just now and surprised it's 0-0 what the heck
Old 07-20-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
I only started just now and surprised it's 0-0 what the heck
Watched most of it. I legit didn't know Kucherov was playing until the last 5 seconds of the game. We only have one more scrimmage. According to Rick, most teams are having a lot more. According to Brian, that's because they have one exhibition and are going into playoff mode. We will use our round robin as exhibitions as well. For a team who was accused of trying to turn it on all of a sudden last year and not being able to do it, maybe this approach isn't the brightest?

Guys I've noticed or heard names of are almost exclusively the minor league players.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:02 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
I have almost no confidence in this team. This scrimmage has done nothing to make me feel any better.
Relevant part bolded. Until we get embarrassed in a round robin game, I'm not wringing my hands. No confidence? Seems like an overreaction to glorified practice.

I caught a little of the third and the OT/shootout while working. It looked and felt like a scrimmage.

Noted that Engblom talked about how the lack of a crowd was likely to affect momentum and swings that would normally come from fan engagement. It will be interesting to see to what degree that plays a part in the round robin and play-in games, as well as the full-blown playoffs.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
Until we get embarrassed in a round robin game, I'm not wringing my hands.
Actually, I kind of want this to happen.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
You really expected the players, who haven’t been skating for 4 months, to look like a polished machine after 6 days of practice?

It was a group of guys shaking off the rust. The one takeaway I had was that the passing on the first power play was much quicker - not deliberate at all.

Both power plays scored in the overtime. Good stuff.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Relevant part bolded. Until we get embarrassed in a round robin game, I'm not wringing my hands. No confidence? Seems like an overreaction to glorified practice.

I caught a little of the third and the OT/shootout while working. It looked and felt like a scrimmage.

Noted that Engblom talked about how the lack of a crowd was likely to affect momentum and swings that would normally come from fan engagement. It will be interesting to see to what degree that plays a part in the round robin and play-in games, as well as the full-blown playoffs.
I had no confidence long before this. My point was that they did nothing to give me confidence, not that this made me unconfident. Sure, maybe I'm being extra hard. But for a team that was embarrassed last year, that was accused of not having the switch on, that had Killorn actually vote against the reopening plan BECAUSE he didn't think it was fair other teams would have meaningful games before us, I guess I expected them to be on fire for 1 of essentially 3 games before they are in the playoffs. I didn't expect our top line to be shut down by the legend.

It's been said here much better than I could ever say, but essentially this team has no benefit of the doubt for me. To me, these playoffs more than any other are going to be about a team that is truly hungry with outstanding coaching. I'm just not sold. This didn't make me less sold, but it didn't instill any confidence in me that my thoughts are wrong either.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
You really expected the players, who haven’t been skating for 4 months, to look like a polished machine after 6 days of practice?

It was a group of guys shaking off the rust. The one takeaway I had was that the passing on the first power play was much quicker - not deliberate at all.

Both power plays scored in the overtime. Good stuff.
They did in the Overtime. They were not good in regulation. Of course I didn't expect polished. And I'm coming from the camp of "This team is not over last year" as well. I'll say again, I'm down on this team's mentality. And I'm sure I'm reading into it how I want to some extent as well. Maybe if I had the belief in this team right now I'd be able to look at that through much better glasses than I am right now. But I'm not sold this team has what it takes right now, and this didn't change my mind.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:09 PM
Curtis McElhinney's Game Worn Jersey

Quote:
I had no confidence long before this. My point was that they did nothing to give me confidence, not that this made me unconfident. Sure, maybe I'm being extra hard. But for a team that was embarrassed last year, that was accused of not having the switch on, that had Killorn actually vote against the reopening plan BECAUSE he didn't think it was fair other teams would have meaningful games before us, I guess I expected them to be on fire for 1 of essentially 3 games before they are in the playoffs. I didn't expect our top line to be shut down by the legend.

It's been said here much better than I could ever say, but essentially this team has no benefit of the doubt for me. To me, these playoffs more than any other are going to be about a team that is truly hungry with outstanding coaching. I'm just not sold. This didn't make me less sold, but it didn't instill any confidence in me that my thoughts are wrong either.
Fair. I just don't know what you were expecting out of a scrimmage that would have changed any of the above. None of what you are alluding to would be evidenced in a scrimmage. Diluted and mismatched lines playing against one another with minor leaguers sprinkled in isn't going to show a cohesive team by the nature of the exercise. 4 months off isn't going to be conducive to crisp tape-to-tape passes and an amped up attitude. Playing against your teammates isn't going to make you play overly physically (unless you are Radko Gudas).

This looked a lot like the Blue/White scrimmage from fan fest. In other words, I don't think it's indicative one way or the other of the overall hunger of the roster, or whether or not it is ready to bury their playoff choking demons.

Also, our top line doesn't have Carter Verhaeghe on it. He is unlikely to draw in at all unless there are injuries. Just returning the nitpicking.

The above said, I'm also a skeptic after last season. More of Cooper than the roster, though.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Fair. I just don't know what you were expecting out of a scrimmage that would have changed any of the above. None of what you are alluding to would be evidenced in a scrimmage. Diluted and mismatched lines playing against one another with minor leaguers sprinkled in isn't going to show a cohesive team by the nature of the exercise. 4 months off isn't going to be conducive to crisp tape-to-tape passes and an amped up attitude. Playing against your teammates isn't going to make you play overly physically (unless you are Radko Gudas).

This looked a lot like the Blue/White scrimmage from fan fest. In other words, I don't think it's indicative one way or the other of the overall hunger of the roster, or whether or not it is ready to bury their playoff choking demons.

Also, our top line doesn't have Carter Verhaeghe on it. He is unlikely to draw in at all unless there are injuries. Just returning the nitpicking.

The above said, I'm also a skeptic after last season. More of Cooper than the roster, though.
Right, which I guess is why I expected our scorers to show up some. Less checking and penalties id think would benefit kuch and point and hedman, but i hardly saw them.. But I'm with you in i dont believe in cooper. Hunger and desire comes from the top in my mind, and I will never forget last year. Like I said, think it just reinforced my preconceived notions. Obviously its just a scrimmage so I'm trying to not read into it. But once engblom started talking about the round Robins as more exhibitions so we don't need more scrimmages, think i just completely turned on this game. Guess I'm a doom and gloomer right now until at least the first round.