BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 08-07-2020, 03:13 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Does anyone but the diehards even care about Benghazi any more? That level of scandal is almost kind of quaint now.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:23 PM

Just the wild extremist base.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:25 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
The ultimate super spreader event is on. They expect approximately 250,000 bikers in Sturgis for the annual gathering.

MAGA!
I know someone who left yesterday with her husband, heading there from Wisconsin. A dyed-in-the-wool, MAGA loving, anti-mask wearing, conspiracy theorist biker couple. I'll check with them a week or so after they get back to see how they are feeling
Old 08-07-2020, 04:27 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Does anyone but the diehards even care about Benghazi any more? That level of scandal is almost kind of quaint now.
Republicans are capable of whipping themselves into a frenzy over the dumbest shit at the drop of a hat. Remember “Tha Caravan?” They’ll resurrect Benghazi and throw in the nebulous “But Tha Obamagate!” on top of it if he picks Rice. For that reason alone I’d make it a hard pass. The magic of Biden is that he presents little to no silhouette for the Trump campaign to shoot at. Don’t give them a VP candidate to demagogue who does. Pick Harris or Abrams or even Whitmer and call it a day, IMO. Make Rice Secretary of State if you want her in a prominent role so much.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
Republicans are capable of whipping themselves into a frenzy over the dumbest shit at the drop of a hat. Remember “Tha Caravan?” They’ll resurrect Benghazi and throw in the nebulous “But Tha Obamagate!” on top of it if he picks Rice. For that reason alone I’d make it a hard pass. The magic of Biden is that he presents little to no silhouette for the Trump campaign to shoot at. Don’t give them a VP candidate to demagogue who does. Pick Harris or Abrams or even Whitmer and call it a day, IMO. Make Rice Secretary of State if you want her in a prominent role so much.
Eh, Republicans will make something up anyways. I mean, they took a purple heart winning lieutenant and actually attacked his silver star with completely fabricated stories. And then they believed it. In favor of a guy who faked his way out of any military service. I have no doubt they will make garbage up on absolutely anyone Biden would pick. My very moderate mother absolutely loves Rice (FYI she'd love Harris too) so I really don't care if that's how they go.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:55 PM

North Carolina.

Party registrations for same day Absenree Balot request totals in 2016 vs. 2020.

In 2016:
registered Democrats: 8,199 (37%)
reg Unaffiliated: 5,723 (26%)
reg Republicans: 7,881 (36%)

now:
reg Dems: 69,165 (48%)
reg Unaff: 48,837 (34%)
reg Rep: 26,014 (18%)
Old 08-07-2020, 06:27 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnTHalO View Post
Eh, Republicans will make something up anyways. I mean, they took a purple heart winning lieutenant and actually attacked his silver star with completely fabricated stories. And then they believed it. In favor of a guy who faked his way out of any military service. I have no doubt they will make garbage up on absolutely anyone Biden would pick. My very moderate mother absolutely loves Rice (FYI she'd love Harris too) so I really don't care if that's how they go.
They've already put the legwork in constructing the conspiracy theories Rice would be involved in, so it's just a matter of them blowing that whistle and their base will react like the trained dogs they are. They don't have pre-constructed theories about Harris, so it would take time for them to push them out through right wing media and inculcate their base to have that tribal, visceral reaction that they'll have to Rice almost immediately. It's harder because Harris never worked with their other boogeymen like Obama or Clinton, hence the difficulty in find something to pick on. I agree they'll make some crap up anyway, but it's harder for them to construct something about Rice to inflame the Trumplovian dogs.

I say make them do the legwork, personally. Don't give them a shortcut.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
They've already put the legwork in constructing the conspiracy theories Rice would be involved in, so it's just a matter of them blowing that whistle and their base will react like the trained dogs they are. They don't have pre-constructed theories about Harris, so it would take time for them to push them out through right wing media and inculcate their base to have that tribal, visceral reaction that they'll have to Rice almost immediately. It's harder because Harris never worked with their other boogeymen like Obama or Clinton, hence the difficulty in find something to pick on. I agree they'll make some crap up anyway, but it's harder for them to construct something about Rice to inflame the Trumplovian dogs.

I say make them do the legwork, personally. Don't give them a shortcut.
I think both are wasted as VP. Rice as SoS and Harris as AG would be my preference.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:45 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
North Carolina.

Party registrations for same day Absenree Balot request totals in 2016 vs. 2020.

In 2016:
registered Democrats: 8,199 (37%)
reg Unaffiliated: 5,723 (26%)
reg Republicans: 7,881 (36%)

now:
reg Dems: 69,165 (48%)
reg Unaff: 48,837 (34%)
reg Rep: 26,014 (18%)
I read between the lines of that as these Independents possibly breaking heavily blue. If you look at the proportion increase, it hews closer to the Democratic numbers (i.e., not COVID denialists and not drinking the POTUS Kool Aid about the evils of absentee ballots).

Independents broke to Trump by 16% in 2016 in the exit polls, which helped Trump carry the state by 3.67%. If Biden gets to parity with Independents Trump's in big trouble there. The last CBS poll there had Biden just 5% behind with Indies, and if the undecideds break against the incumbent, that's potentially a very close margin in a subgroup Trump cleaned up in 2016 on.

https://www.cnn.com/election/2016/re...lina/president

My 2 cents has always been that the South is going blue over the next decade or two and only voter suppression can slow it. Virginia already went from red to purple to blue. North Carolina will be the next to follow Virginia's path. Then Georgia. Then probably South Carolina.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:49 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flycoon View Post
I think both are wasted as VP. Rice as SoS and Harris as AG would be my preference.
I don't disagree. The thought of Harris chasing the Trumps to the ends of the earth as AG? Frankly... that's kinda hot.

But, if not Harris, who? Given whoever you pick may get the call in 2024 to be the Democratic standard bearer if Biden steps aside due to age. If not Harris then maybe Warren or you pick a prospect like Abrams and have her learn on the job.