BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Miscellaneous > The Room

Old 06-24-2020, 12:03 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Appeals Court allows the justice department to dismiss the charges against Flynn.

Last edited by Donnie D; 06-24-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:02 PM
BP Staff

This is the kind of story Joe Biden needs to be telling on the air as he works to close the deal (not detailed and largely abstract policy kerfuffles):

Quote:
From Rabbi Michael Beals of Delaware :

"The story I’m about to share with you about Joe Biden is special -- in fact, I’m fairly certain I’m the only living person left who actually witnessed it firsthand.

It was about 16 years ago, and I was a young rabbi, brand-new to Delaware, on my way to lead a shiva minyan -- a worship service following a death of a Jewish person. I was from California. Back then, I didn’t know Claymont, Delaware from Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Quick bit of background: When someone passes away in the Jewish faith, we observe seven days of mourning, called shiva. We gather a group of ten Jewish adults together to say the Mourners’ Kaddish. It usually happens in a person’s home -- somewhere intimate.

In this case, the deceased individual -- her name was Mrs. Greenhouse, of blessed memory -- had not been a person of means. She had lived in rent-controlled senior housing in a tall high-rise building off of Namaans Road.

Her apartment was too small to fit everyone into, so we conducted our worship service in the building’s communal laundry room, in the basement of the high-rise.

We assembled the 10 elders together, and it was in this most humble of places that I began to lead kaddish.

Toward the end of the service, a door at the back of the laundry room opened; who walks in but Sen. Joe Biden, head lowered, all by himself.

I nearly dropped my prayer book in shock.

Senator Biden stood quietly in the back of the room for the duration of the service.

At the close of the kaddish, I walked over to him and asked the same question that must have been on everyone else’s mind: “Sen. Biden -- what are you doing here?”

He said to me: “Back in 1972, when I first ran for Senate, Mrs. Greenhouse gave $18 to my first campaign.

Because that’s what she could afford. And every six years, when I’d run for reelection, she’d give another $18. She did it her whole life. I’m here to show my respect and gratitude.”

Now, the number 18 is significant in the Jewish faith -- its numbers spell out the Hebrew word chai, as in “to life, to life, l’chayim!” But it’s also a humble amount. Joe Biden knew that. And he respected that.

There were no news outlets at our service that day -- no Jewish reporters or important dignitaries. Just a few elderly mourners in a basement laundry room.

Joe Biden didn’t come to that service for political gain. He came to that service because he has character.

He came to that service because he’s a mensch.

And if we need anything right now when it comes to the leadership of our country -- we need a mensch.

I know this is such a simple, small story. But I tell it to as many people as will listen to me.

Because I think that, in their heart of hearts, when people are trying to think about the decision they’ll make this year -- this is the kind of story that matters.

Joe Biden is a mensch. We need a mensch."
https://twitter.com/StanleyKrute/sta...597021184?s=20

I have heard dozens of stories like this about Biden over the years. He may not be the sharpest. He may not be savviest. But I've heard people say he's one of the most decent dudes in Washington DC, which is a city fairly bereft of decent people. Which is why I got really bent out of shape by red rose Twitter trying to make him out to be a racist/rapist/war monger.

The more people know about stories like these and how they tie to Biden's upbringing, the more people he's going to close the deal with. He cuts such a clear contrast to Trump. You gotta tell the stories about Biden's personal character to seal it with those independents and fence sitters who are ready to dump Trump but want to make sure they have a presidential replacement.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:12 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick9911 View Post
I've never understood how the party of "Don't tread on me! I'll blast your libtard ass to the moon with my pew pew toys and run your BLM ass over with my truck cause AMURRICA!!" can suddenly act like the anonymous pollster on the phone is the killer inside the house.
They're a bunch of scared, entitled bullies. Can't handle challenge. Can't handle change. Can't handle criticism. Can't handle diversity. Can't handle progress.

Punch 'em in the nose and they back down, cry, and act like victims.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:14 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
#NEW #Wisconsin Poll

Biden 49%
Trump 41%

Marquette Law School
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/...439195648?s=20

The Marquette Law School poll is to Wisconsin what the Selzer Poll is in Iowa. It's gospel. This is a big deal.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:28 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Quote:
#NorthCarolina Poll:

Biden 48%
Trump 46%

@ppppolls (D)
#NorthCarolina Senate Poll:

Cunningham (D) 44%
Tillis (R-Inc) 40%

@ppppolls (D)
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/...153526784?s=20

https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/...277915142?s=20

Seems the polling in North Carolina has been pretty stable showing a race that's +/- about 3% with the majority of polls showing Biden slightly ahead.

Quote:
#NEW Ohio @QuinnipiacPoll
:

Biden 46%
Trump 45%
https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/...595508224?s=20

Ohio's in play. We knew that.

Also, the owner of Civiqs teased that Trump's lead in Montana and Alaska are starting to look more pink than red.

Quote:
Two states unexpectedly creeping into play at the presidential level: Alaska and Montana. Not kidding. And while Trump will still likely win both, this has huge implications for their respective Senate races. The fewer tickets need to be split, the better Dem chances are
https://twitter.com/markos/status/12...415395330?s=20

John McCain just narrowly beat Barack Obama by 2.38% in Montana in 2008. So, it's another data point that might signal this election as it stands is perhaps more like 2008 than 2016.

Addendum to that: Montana's cheap as heck to contest and if you really have a competitive race there, Steve Bullock is running an important Senate race there too. So, if Biden has the resources to do it and still is holding his advantage in the core swing states, there's an opportunity for a late cavalry raid there that might net you an upset and/or a Senate seat.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:32 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Great link and story, Pete, someone forward it and your comments to Biden's campaign manager ASAP! "We need a mensch!' is a great slogan for the campaign.

The only poll I will trust is the one on November 3rd, and I hope the results are close to what is reflecting now. The future of the country depends on us getting it right.
Old 06-24-2020, 02:48 PM
Steve F**king Yzerman

Send a message via AIM to Maverick9911

And another really touching one.

https://twitter.com/amandalitman/sta...189761539?s=19
Old 06-24-2020, 02:52 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Florida Democrats have opened up a 302,000-voter advantage over Republicans in vote-by-mail enrollment. In 2016, the D advantage was 8,800.

Meantime, Biden leads Trump in polls of the state & Dems are up in voter registration
https://twitter.com/MarcACaputo/stat...947384321?s=20

This also is a really big deal.
Old 06-24-2020, 03:51 PM

Old 06-24-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannybolt View Post
The reasons for blowing the chance at a proper re-opening have been bugging me, as I was all for the re-opening when it happened; the curve was flattened, which was the point of locking things down with shelter in place and non-essential public spaces closed.

However, in retrospect, it's clear that it is not going well, but I'm not 100% clear on why that is. I have ideas, but I don't know that they are correct.

Are the re-opening issues a result of the state/municipality for not putting in the proper safeguards (local ordinances on masks, etc) when the restrictions were lifted, or is that on individuals for not wearing masks and social distancing, or is it a combination of both, or something else entirely?

I'm not thinking about the above questions from a blame standpoint, but just more a general assessment of what went/is going wrong.

It really seems to me like a combination of multiple factors:
1. When lifting sheltering in place restrictions at the state level, there should have been clear guidance as to what is/is not acceptable behavior under the new normal.
2. In the absence of #1, it was incumbent on local municipalities to make sure the citizenry acted appropriately.
3. A certain segment of the populace includes Don't tread on me doofuses don't want to wear masks and claim you can't make them (this is incorrect of course).
4. Also in our populace are 20 somethings who think they are invincible and didn't adhere to the mask/distancing guidelines.
5. Sadly, our population also includes people who believed Trump when he called it a hoax, and think it is still just the flu.

That's my uninformed opinion on the whole thing, but I'd love it if someone paying closer attention could tell me where I'm offbase/provide more color.
I would say the main reason for our re-opening hitting the fan is because there was no consistent lockdown plan from county to county. You had rural counties that had a lockdown in name only right next to counties that required face masks and heavily enforced social distancing.

The people in the rural county would mingle closely and then would go to the stricter county to do shopping and whatnot because there isn't a Publix to be found in the rural county so they either spread it to the other county or contract it and bring it back to the rural county for it to run rampant.

Another issue is right as the re-opening happened is when harvest season for watermelons and other summer crops started so you have migrant farmers moving in for a few weeks/months into those areas where they might either bring the virus with them or contract it and carry it to their next stop.