BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 08-26-2013, 07:07 AM
Cooper's Law

I'm so completely over this uniform clusterf#%&...they gave their assurances to more than one of us face to face that black and victory stripes were returning...then they don't make the playoffs, so there's PLENTY of time to get that taken care of, plus the motivation to do SOMETHING, even something minor like this, to please the long-suffering fans...and nothing.

Way to needlessly piss off the fan base, Leiweke and whoever else. Great job

Moral of the story: their word is not to be taken as their bond....even on something relatively minor in the grand scheme of things

Is it April yet?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Cooper's Law

The good thing about Leiweke is that he won't hide under a rock. I'm sure you and all the other disappointed fans will have their opportunities to express yourselves on this. Just know that you speak for A LOT of Lightning fans.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Cooper's Law

Yeah, no changes is disappointing.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 PM
BP Staff

The home jersey has grown on me. If they put victory stripes on it (and they don't need to be tri-colored even, just some little white stripes) I could live with it (provided they issue a new black third jersey). The road jerseys are absolute vanilla suck incarnate.

What I find truly bizarre is that you can't get a home authentic jersey online and there is a distinct paucity of Lightning merchandise that's available unless you're willing to trek to the Forum. The whole supposed point of the rebranding was to sell more Lightning merchandise, and yet it seems there is less available now than ever before. So... why'd they do it? Seriously.

Put victory stripes on the jerseys, take the Tampa Bay word mark off the road unis (at a minimum... truthfully the road unis are the ones that need more black the most), issue a really badass black third jersey, and start making that merchandise really available to the fans. There's nothing at all outlandish about that, it shouldn't be terribly hard to do, and I truly believe they'd make a nice chunk of change if they did it. The black thirds would sell like crazy.

ESPN is wrong about the shoulder patches, btw, but they are right about the general cartoon stinkiness of the current third jerseys. They're too close to the current home jerseys in color and I'm not a fan of scrawling "Bolts" on the front, which is only slightly better than if they had scrawled "Ning" on them.

Do a black third jersey that has some retro Lightning flavor to it, but still is modern and incorporates the new logos, and it'll be a huge improvement. In fact, it'll probably be our most popular uni with the fans.

This message is hidden because WaiverWire is on your ignore list.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 AM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
The home jersey has grown on me. If they put victory stripes on it (and they don't need to be tri-colored even, just some little white stripes) I could live with it (provided they issue a new black third jersey). The road jerseys are absolute vanilla suck incarnate.

What I find truly bizarre is that you can't get a home authentic jersey online and there is a distinct paucity of Lightning merchandise that's available unless you're willing to trek to the Forum. The whole supposed point of the rebranding was to sell more Lightning merchandise, and yet it seems there is less available now than ever before. So... why'd they do it? Seriously.

Put victory stripes on the jerseys, take the Tampa Bay word mark off the road unis (at a minimum... truthfully the road unis are the ones that need more black the most), issue a really badass black third jersey, and start making that merchandise really available to the fans. There's nothing at all outlandish about that, it shouldn't be terribly hard to do, and I truly believe they'd make a nice chunk of change if they did it. The black thirds would sell like crazy.

ESPN is wrong about the shoulder patches, btw, but they are right about the general cartoon stinkiness of the current third jerseys. They're too close to the current home jerseys in color and I'm not a fan of scrawling "Bolts" on the front, which is only slightly better than if they had scrawled "Ning" on them.

Do a black third jersey that has some retro Lightning flavor to it, but still is modern and incorporates the new logos, and it'll be a huge improvement. In fact, it'll probably be our most popular uni with the fans.
Agree w/ 98% of this...my 2% is there just absolutely NEEDS to be some black striping on both jerseys, on the gloves and on the socks. It's essential to maintain the team's traditional identity, as you've successfully articulated in the past. You don't just change colors to some other team's.

Don't let this grow on you, like a fungus, everybody. The reason the thirds look so cool is our colors are black & blue, and the black & blue are still there boldly on all the uniform elements. BOLTS = NING is a pretty close analogy, yet that 3rd is consistently the fan fave jersey. Why? Because we ain't the Leafs. Our colors aren't represented on the home and away uniforms. Toronto's are. Those will always be their colors; they got like a 90-year head start.

Our own unique colors used to be there. Then they got taken away. Then we were promised their return. So far that promise is as empty as the arena in Sunrise for a game against Phoenix in April. We'll get our way when enough people insist on it for long enough instead of letting the "oh well, this is just clothing instead of hockey, let's move on" disease set in.

Simple as that.

Last edited by Top Shelf; 08-28-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:54 PM
Dirt Liner

In my heart and soul, I feel like this was just an attempt to get us to buy the new sweater they're going to come out with in 2-3 years. It'll be big bucks and exactly what we wanted. Back in black, but really.

There's probably some corporate playbook somewhere that says to do this to sell more uniforms in 2-4 year increments.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:22 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

They won't be able to do major jersey changes for a while now.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Dan Ellis' Money Problems

Send a message via Yahoo to Coldrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMite26 View Post
There's probably some corporate playbook somewhere that says to do this to sell more uniforms in 2-4 year increments.
You're pretty close.

Not the be-all, end-all, but enough of a reference point to get a glimpse of the changes and how frequent (or infrequent) those changes occur with respect to uni's.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/index.html
Old 08-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Cooper's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchmitz View Post
They won't be able to do major jersey changes for a while now.
Fortunately, that's neither what was requested nor what was agreed to. A deal's a deal, stick to your word is all I'm saying to the organizational leadership. No major changes, just a return to victory stripes and a few black stripes for definition, in the same place on the jersey and socks where stripes already are. Gloves with black we already got. (And taking that awkward scrawl off the road whites wouldn't constitute any major change anyway; in point of fact, the actual "logo", which they use everywhere else, is the logo without the dopey-looking, needless wordmark.)

Minor design tweaks like stripes and other changes have taken place from year to year pretty commonly in the NHL...even the fabled CH has seen its share of those. Check out the complete history of NHL unis at Coldrice's link above, one of my faves

tons of fun for the graphically inclined

Last edited by Top Shelf; 08-27-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM
BP Staff

I was just cleaning out my closet and pulled out an old Atlanta Knights replica home jersey from the pile. There's a blast from the past for Tim.

This message is hidden because WaiverWire is on your ignore list.