BoltProspects Community Forums  

Go Back   BoltProspects Community Forums > Hockey Talk > Channelside

Old 09-15-2013, 09:57 AM
BP Staff

Default Malone has submitted a list of teams he'd accept a trade to

Erlendsson had this choice bit in this piece on Malone from the other day:

Quote:
Perhaps that’s a big reason Malone is still with the team despite plenty of offseason speculation he was a potential buyout or trade target. Malone has two years left on a seven-year deal that will pay him $2.5 million each of the next two seasons, although he carries a salary cap hit of $4.5 million.

While Malone had a full no-movement clause in his contract for the first five years, it is now a modified no-trade clause for the final two years. When it kicked on Sept. 1, he submitted to general manager Steve Yzerman a list of 12 teams to which he would accept a trade.
Very proactive move by Yzerman, who can quietly gauge which teams would be interested in Malone in the event of changing needs as the season progresses. And I'd venture it's likely he already has a pretty good idea. There's been a lot of smoke around TB shopping Malone in the past. Just my speculation, but I think Yzerman might even be amenable to moving Malone before or around the deadline no matter where TB is, especially if the team is comfortable with how the younger guys (Panik, in particular) have held up and his ice time is coming primarily on the checking line. That said, if Malone has a really strong rebound year (which I wouldn't bank on), they can afford to hold on to him and explore all options in the summer.

Quote:
But moving elsewhere is not on his mind.

“I talked to Steve and he said injuries happen, so I just needed to get ready for the season,’’ Malone said. “He thinks I can help the team out here, and that was kind of it. And the one (trade) rumor, the reporter actually called me to apologize. So, overall talking to Steve, I thought I was OK, but rumors start going and you don’t really know.
Wasn't me.

Last edited by Mike; 09-15-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:25 AM
The Constrictor

Send a message via AIM to Kowalski

Guy is not going to finish out the rest of his contract here for sure. I would hope he is having a solid season and we can move him for value before the deadline.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 AM
BP Staff

Hope he plays up his trade value and Yzerman sells high before Malone inevitably gets hurt.

This message is hidden because WaiverWire is on your ignore list.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:10 PM
Steven Stamkos' One Timer

Did Yzerman push for that or is that just part of the deal of his contract that he has to submit when it kicks on?
Old 09-15-2013, 12:40 PM
BP Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoek View Post
Did Yzerman push for that or is that just part of the deal of his contract that he has to submit when it kicks on?
It may depend on the wording for specific contracts but I'm pretty sure it's standard that these modification provisions permit clubs to request the player to submit their no-trade/will-accept-a-trade-to lists.

In Malone's case, I should be able to verify specifically how it happened.

Last edited by Mike; 09-15-2013 at 12:43 PM.